Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Best Trickle Charger for Condo Parking

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2023 | 04:00 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BDonaher
yep I like this idea. Any idea what size I should go with? How much power does a maintainer draw? Seems pretty small overall.
Once it’s in pulse mode it can’t draw much, but I honestly have no idea…
Maybe gear your decision based on other uses you might have vs. dimensions to fit in that locker.
Perhaps try to find the 911 guy and ask him?
Old 01-01-2023 | 04:01 PM
BDonaher
Rennlist Member

Yeah thats the plan. Going to stick a note on his car with my number and ask him what his setup is.
Old 01-01-2023 | 04:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BDonaher
hmm interesting. Do you have a 718 GT4? Was looking at their site and don’t see any options for 2020 718s
any of their H6 40/60amh solutions will work.
Old 01-01-2023 | 07:14 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

So exactly how long can you keep a trickle charge going with one of these devices? I moved our Macan GTS to our Florida condo for the winter and have left it there now since mid-November. The garage there also has no outlet for a charger. It has a new battery, and after a bit of research on the Macan forums, people have apparently left their vehicles for 3-4 months and they have started right up without a problem. Apparently, if you lock the car, after 96 hours, it goes into a "hibernation" mode. I bought a lithium-ion jump starter just in case. I will be going there in a few weeks so it will have been left for a total of 9 weeks. We will see !!
Old 01-01-2023 | 07:36 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Westcoast
TBH, I have been using the CTEK charger for years now and always plug it in when the Porsche is parked, never had a problem with the OEM Porsche battery in any of them.
+1 | Power bank + CTEK + OEM Porsche battery.

If it doesn't break, don't fix it. Especially not with changing batteries just for this exercise.
Old 01-01-2023 | 08:11 PM
Unstock
Pro

I have the official Porsche charger. After the battery gets to full power the green light flashes (in the photo). I keep it plugged in during the week (weekend car) and whenever I go into the garage I don’t see the “full charge” battery light fully lit up. If I open the door and reconnect it then it will start charging again.
Am I doing something wrong? Or will it charge when the battery drops below a certain level. Been meaning to ask about this for some time but been too busy. Thx fellas

Old 01-01-2023 | 08:31 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

This photo just means the charger has power, it's not doing anything.

The "Car" icon or "Lithium" icon needs to be lit for it to be doing it's job.

Opening the door and the charging flows is not the right way to use it, the car will auto shutoff the power source eventually (90 minutes I believe).

The correct way to get this charger working again is,
  1. - Unplug the charger from the 12V socket you have it connected to.
  2. - Start up the car, engine on.
  3. - Shut off the car.
  4. - Insert into 12V socket.
  5. - Close door, lock.
This process will ensure it does not disconnect after 90 minutes until the next time you want to drive it.

Done correctly, this should always be how it looks until you are ready to drive.
The following 2 users liked this post by NCheok:
subwoofer (03-30-2024), Unstock (01-01-2023)
Old 01-01-2023 | 08:34 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^^^ I agree some of what you say except I don't need to start the car, simply turn it to the 'on' position, I also never lock the car and it stays working connected and maintaining for months.

In fact, if the wife forgets to connect up the charger all I have to do is connect it to the cig-lighter socket cycle the key to on and off it goes, charging and maintaining as expected.

Last edited by Westcoast; 01-01-2023 at 08:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Unstock (01-01-2023)
Old 01-01-2023 | 08:39 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Your description is correct if you don't "arm, lock" the car.

On my RS, if I just turn on Ignition then "arm, lock", the car will shut off the power source after 90 minutes. Starting up the engine eliminates this loop when "armed, locked".

Done this infinite times, unless I'm going insane, there are 2 different processes.
Old 01-01-2023 | 08:39 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Unstock
I have the official Porsche charger. After the battery gets to full power the green light flashes (in the photo). I keep it plugged in during the week (weekend car) and whenever I go into the garage I don’t see the “full charge” battery light fully lit up. If I open the door and reconnect it then it will start charging again.
Am I doing something wrong? Or will it charge when the battery drops below a certain level. Been meaning to ask about this for some time but been too busy. Thx fellas

Curious which cig-outlet you are connecting to, but TBH I have used the one in the footwell and the one in the console and both work. I do recall someone said that they had to have their cig-outlet programmed to be used for the maintainer to work, no official confirmation was obtained IIRC. I have never had to do this with any of the Porsches I have owned, they all charged and stay connected just as they were delivered from the factory.

Last edited by Westcoast; 01-01-2023 at 08:50 PM.
Unstock (01-01-2023)
Old 01-01-2023 | 08:42 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Arrow

I do recall someone said that they had to have their cig-outlet programmed to be used for the maintainer to work.
I use mine on the cigarette outlet only (center console).

Footwell is powering my dashcam external battery permanently pulling power to it.

No programming whatsoever. Just works as intended with the correct process.
Unstock (01-01-2023)
Old 01-01-2023 | 09:33 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

My process is:
Turn key on
Plug into console cig lighter
Plug in the charger
Push mode button to car icon
Turn key off
I leave the door unlocked

Same state since early November

Unstock (01-01-2023)
Old 01-01-2023 | 10:04 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
This "unnecessary" step is eliminated in non-Porsche branded CTEKs.

It remembers your last selection and just works.

The constant pushing of the button wears it out and breaks the Porsche branded CTEKs.

I endured it for the first few years (even repaired the faulty button myself) before having enough and dumped it for the proper non-Porsche branded CTEKs, best decision ever.
wkearney99 (05-25-2024)
Old 01-01-2023 | 10:42 PM
Unstock
Pro

Originally Posted by NCheok
This photo just means the charger has power, it's not doing anything.

The "Car" icon or "Lithium" icon needs to be lit for it to be doing it's job.

Opening the door and the charging flows is not the right way to use it, the car will auto shutoff the power source eventually (90 minutes I believe).

The correct way to get this charger working again is,
  1. - Unplug the charger from the 12V socket you have it connected to.
  2. - Start up the car, engine on.
  3. - Shut off the car.
  4. - Insert into 12V socket.
  5. - Close door, lock.
This process will ensure it does not disconnect after 90 minutes until the next time you want to drive it.

Done correctly, this should always be how it looks until you are ready to drive.
^^^ I agree some of what you say except I don't need to start the car, simply turn it to the 'on' position, I also never lock the car and it stays working connected and maintaining for months.

In fact, if the wife forgets to connect up the charger all I have to do is connect it to the cig-lighter socket cycle the key to on and off it goes, charging and maintaining as expected.
Your description is correct if you don't "arm, lock" the car.

On my RS, if I just turn on Ignition then "arm, lock", the car will shut off the power source after 90 minutes. Starting up the engine eliminates this loop when "armed, locked".

Done this infinite times, unless I'm going insane, there are 2 different processes.
Curious which cig-outlet you are connecting to, but TBH I have used the one in the footwell and the one in the console and both work. I do recall someone said that they had to have their cig-outlet programmed to be used for the maintainer to work, no official confirmation was obtained IIRC. I have never had to do this with any of the Porsches I have owned, they all charged and stay connected just as they were delivered from the factory.
I use mine on the cigarette outlet only (center console).

Footwell is powering my dashcam external battery permanently pulling power to it.

No programming whatsoever. Just works as intended with the correct process.
Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
My process is:
Turn key on
Plug into console cig lighter
Plug in the charger
Turn key off
I leave the door unlocked

Same state since early November
Thx for all the help fellas. I used SpeedySpyders steps and it seems to be the trick for me. I’m actually plugging into the footwell cig lighter and it seems to work fine. Thx for all the input and tips. You guys rock!! Have a great new year! Enjoy all your Spyders to the fullest.
SpeedySpidey (01-01-2023)
Old 03-30-2024 | 01:45 AM
Nismo240ssx
Instructor

On the original question, I have a similar situation 911 is parked without access to power. The ctek smart shows a 130ah battery, wouldn't that suggest a self contained trickle charger option? Link to their spec sheet: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/01...f?v=1702312249

Was hoping to buy a single device that can live in the frunk, rather than a standalone battery for the ctek to draw from.

Quick Reply: Best Trickle Charger for Condo Parking