Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Ticking noise from brakes/rotors at slow speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2022, 03:02 PM
tokic_o
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise from brakes/rotors at slow speed

Hi everyone,

New member here and I tried searching but I don't think I was able to find anything related to my question (albeit I'm still a noob and might not have searched properly).
Hopefully someone can help:

So I've got a 2021 718 Spyder and I noticed a ticking sound coming from the front brakes and/or rotors at slow speed/coming to a stop. This sound has randomly come up after I washed my car for the last time before winter storage and when I took it out for a quick last drive after the wash. I decided to take the car out for a longer drive (~20km) and tried pressing on the brakes harder during the drive and the sound seemed to have disappeared by the end of my drive? I'm wondering if anyone knows what causes this ticking noise to happen and if its normal or if something is damaging my brakes/rotors?

Forgot to mention I have steel brakes not pccb.

Same thing and noise also happened after my last wash last year and went away after going for a second longer drive...

Thanks in advance

Last edited by tokic_o; 12-13-2022 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-13-2022, 03:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by tokic_o
Hi everyone,

New member here and I tried searching but I don't think I was able to find anything related to my question (albeit I'm still a noob and might not have searched properly).

So I've got a 2021 718 Spyder and I noticed a ticking sound coming from the front brakes and/or rotors at slow speed/coming to a stop. This sound has randomly come up after I washed my car for the last time before winter storage and when I took it out for a quick last drive after the wash. I decided to take the car out for a longer drive (~20km) and tried pressing on the brakes harder during the drive and the sound seemed to have disappeared by the end of my drive? I'm wondering if anyone knows what causes this ticking noise to happen and if its normal or if something is damaging my brakes/rotors?

Same thing and noise also happened after my last wash last year and went away after going for a second longer drive...

Thanks in advance
probably just some dirt or other contaminant on the surface of the rotors that the pads are encountering - after a while its scrubbed off with brake use

p.s you dont mention if iron or pccb?
Old 12-13-2022, 04:56 PM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 'ticking'

Had a similar issue with our '21 Spyder. Relatively soon after delivery. Might have also been after a wash.
Also at slow speed / low load braking.
It would also disappear after a few aggressive stops. But it would return.
Dealer attributed it to 'pads which weren't well-seated'.
Unbeknownst to me, their tech ran it through some hard stops. How many???
Problem never re-appeared.
Old 12-13-2022, 04:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/i...Path=6446_6443
Old 12-13-2022, 05:50 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,344 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by tokic_o
Hi everyone,

Forgot to mention I have steel brakes not pccb.

Thanks in advance
Braking only? Have you checked for a stone lodged in the tread of a tire?
Old 12-21-2022, 04:56 PM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Bedding Brakes

Fantastic post. Great write up.
Thanks a ton for this Larry.
Old 12-21-2022, 05:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Quick Reply: Ticking noise from brakes/rotors at slow speed