Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4 coolant issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2022 | 06:03 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Patrick3000
Heck, I replaced the front calipers with new on my 996 GT3 because they had a scratch and that is my track car
Yes, you are on the spectrum. ;-)
The following users liked this post:
85Gold (12-13-2022)
Old 12-12-2022 | 06:05 PM
alvises
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
25 liters is total capacity. So you just replaced 1/25 of the system with appropriate fluid. No problem there.

I do not think flushing the system will cause you other issues if done properly. IF DONE PROPERLY. Sometimes these systems don't bleed well and you get air pockets that you have to chase. I would hope a dealer would be able to accomplish the task but a dealer is only as good as the individual tech. Some are awesome. Some suck.

I do think it's leaking or being consumed. That's why I'd use this point in time as the starting point for diagnosis. If the level stays where it's at, you're good to go and that liter you put in is not an issue. If the level continues to drop, you KNOW you have an issue and it needs to be addressed.

Alternately, if you have it flushed, you could get warnings associated NOT with the initial problem, but with air that might have been introduced during the maintenance. And it would be hard to know which it was. I wouldn't risk it. I'd monitor closely for the next several thousand miles and see what happens.
All clear thank you! The only reason why I would flush it is because I don't know if the one I put was 100% ok. I know it was this one (red autorad -40 https://www.atassrl.it/en/product/autorad/) and Porsche told me "if it's red it should be fine", but they were more worried to understand if there was a leak. What can happen if the coolant is not exactly the right one?

The following users liked this post:
Z06jerry (12-13-2022)
Old 12-12-2022 | 06:20 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alvises
All clear thank you! The only reason why I would flush it is because I don't know if the one I put was 100% ok. I know it was this one (red autorad -40 https://www.atassrl.it/en/product/autorad/) and Porsche told me "if it's red it should be fine", but they were more worried to understand if there was a leak. What can happen if the coolant is not exactly the right one?
I am certainly no expert on coolant and its chemical properties but I've got to believe if a certain type of coolant was detrimental to your car, Porsche and its dealers would know all about it and would've let you know when you called to ask. You put in a liter of red coolant into a 25 liter system that already had red coolant in it. I personally would not worry about that for two seconds.
The following 4 users liked this post by SpyderSenseOC:
85Gold (12-13-2022), alvises (12-12-2022), SFZ GT3 (12-21-2022), slilley (12-13-2022)
Old 12-12-2022 | 06:32 PM
alvises
Intermediate

I am certainly no expert on coolant and its chemical properties but I've got to believe if a certain type of coolant was detrimental to your car, Porsche and its dealers would know all about it and would've let you know when you called to ask. You put in a liter of red coolant into a 25 liter system that already had red coolant in it. I personally would not worry about that for two seconds.
Thank you!
Old 12-13-2022 | 08:23 AM
alvises
Intermediate

At the end I called Porsche again to get some info on flushing the coolant. They said that if I've put just 1L of red coolant, it's more than fine and it would just be a waste of money with the unnecessary risk of creating air bubbles inside the system. And to check @SpyderSenseOC exactly what you said

@SpyderSenseOC I took a picture of the coolant that I used yesterday and the coolant level, pictures took just 1h ago.

Is the coolant level ok or is it overfilled?

Old 12-13-2022 | 09:15 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

You are fine with that level.

These cars have a tendency to have minor air pockets in the system that work themselves out over time. No filling process is 100%. Don't sweat it.

Watch it, record it and if it continues to drop over time then bring it to the attention of your dealers, showing him your record keeping.
The following 2 users liked this post by ExMB:
alvises (12-14-2022), SpyderSenseOC (12-13-2022)
Old 12-13-2022 | 10:13 AM
Wei718
Instructor

Originally Posted by alvises
At the end I called Porsche again to get some info on flushing the coolant. They said that if I've put just 1L of red coolant, it's more than fine and it would just be a waste of money with the unnecessary risk of creating air bubbles inside the system. And to check @SpyderSenseOC exactly what you said

@SpyderSenseOC I took a picture of the coolant that I used yesterday and the coolant level, pictures took just 1h ago.

Is the coolant level ok or is it overfilled?

That looks way overfilled, you should not see any coolant under the cap. I would at least use a turkey baster to remove the coolant that’s visible on top. It’s best to get the float in between the Min and Max.

Old 12-13-2022 | 10:45 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

In the future if you need to top off, distilled water (never regular or mineral water). That will get you going anywhere you need to go unless you are driving in -40 degrees and even then, you should still be fine. Remember, unless it is a product like Water Wetter, we are calling it coolant, but it is really anti-freeze as the water is the coolant and has better cooling properties than anti-freeze.

Go on Amazon and buy a huge pack of coolant and brake fluid test strips. That will tell you if your antifreeze mixture is correct and if your brake fluid is still good. Save you a lot of time, money and guesswork for $21.

Amazon Amazon

This thread actually reminds me that I need to swap out the coolant in my motorcycle as I ran it at Road Atlanta and they don't allow glycol based antifreeze so I had to fill it with distilled water and water wetter. Don't want it to freeze sitting in the garage over the winter.

Last edited by MaddMike; 12-13-2022 at 11:04 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MaddMike:
MechEngr1287 (12-14-2022), slilley (12-14-2022)
Old 12-14-2022 | 05:38 AM
alvises
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ExMB
You are fine with that level.

These cars have a tendency to have minor air pockets in the system that work themselves out over time. No filling process is 100%. Don't sweat it.

Watch it, record it and if it continues to drop over time then bring it to the attention of your dealers, showing him your record keeping.
Thank you
Old 01-24-2023 | 02:37 PM
GT Vier
Cruisin'

2020 GT4 6MT
22k miles
High coolant temp at times upto 120C

Taken to dealership. They said the water pump is leaking and needs to be changed with the thermostat. Looking at $1800.
Out of warranty for 5 months.

Very disappointed! What could you do to a water pump in a GT4?
Old 01-24-2023 | 02:40 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT Vier
2020 GT4 6MT
22k miles
High coolant temp at times upto 120C

Taken to dealership. They said the water pump is leaking and needs to be changed with the thermostat. Looking at $1800.
Out of warranty for 5 months.

Very disappointed! What could you do to a water pump in a GT4?
Where? In US warranty is 4/50,000.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4 coolant issue