Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder Top Hole Covers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2022, 02:23 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts
Default Spyder Top Hole Covers?

We had these 3D printed but the material is starting to warp in the sun so we are pursuing new ones made out of anodized aluminum. If anyone is interested let me know since the more we order the cheaper they will be - these will be available at cost. Estimates now are about $40-50 a pair and they will be the same as the ones I have now and will attach in the same way.

Old 12-03-2022, 03:49 PM
user 68932563
Banned

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
We had these 3D printed but the material is starting to warp in the sun so we are pursuing new ones made out of anodized aluminum. If anyone is interested let me know since the more we order the cheaper they will be - these will be available at cost. Estimates now are about $40-50 a pair and they will be the same as the ones I have now and will attach in the same way.

Definitely interested!
Old 12-03-2022, 03:58 PM
orclean1
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

photo please
Old 12-03-2022, 04:08 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

They will look just like the ones I have now, but they have not been made yet so no pics of the actual ones. I can say they will be 1/16" thick so they with the velcro tabs they will sit flush with the surrounding area. It took us a lot of time to perfect the 3D printed ones so I expect the aluminum ones will be a perfect fit.
Old 12-03-2022, 04:15 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 463 Posts

All I can think of is sexual things to say, so I’ll keep quiet.
Old 12-03-2022, 10:55 PM
E39Nutz
Pro

Received 260 Likes on 168 Posts

I wish there is a more elegant way than velcro to secure the cover. If you use aluminum, you need to CNC machine it. Can you design one like a plug, i.e. with bottom stick out longer so that it just plugs the hole? Stick a layer of felt under the cover so it sits flush and quiet back there?
Old 12-03-2022, 11:24 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by E39Nutz
I wish there is a more elegant way than velcro to secure the cover. If you use aluminum, you need to CNC machine it. Can you design one like a plug, i.e. with bottom stick out longer so that it just plugs the hole? Stick a layer of felt under the cover so it sits flush and quiet back there?
I am relying on someone else to do the work so I am at his mercy! But I did try to come up with a version that had a piece sticking out from the bottom, made out of foam, and after several attempts, I gave up. This is the best there is, at least from me/us. I can say that the plastic ones I have make zero noise and once it is in place no one know can see what the other side looks like, and it sits flush - no need for felt since the velcro cushions it.
Old 12-03-2022, 11:47 PM
E39Nutz
Pro

Received 260 Likes on 168 Posts

I am relying on someone else to do the work so I am at his mercy! But I did try to come up with a version that had a piece sticking out from the bottom, made out of foam, and after several attempts, I gave up. This is the best there is, at least from me/us. I can say that the plastic ones I have make zero noise and once it is in place no one know can see what the other side looks like, and it sits flush - no need for felt since the velcro cushions it.
thanks for trying. I think if this can be cnc machined from a single block of aluminum or stainless steel, it will work.
Old 12-03-2022, 11:49 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by E39Nutz
thanks for trying. I think if this can be cnc machined from a single block of aluminum or stainless steel, it will work.
That is the plan. Again, I am using 3D printed ones now and have been for a while but they are starting to warp (curl up at the ends) so the aluminum ones will not warp and be fine.
The following users liked this post:
E39Nutz (12-03-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 05:46 AM
IRM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Count me in for a pair Bob. Will they come black already (hope so)?

If I may add some suggestion - There are tiny neodymium magnets that would do the job much more nicely than velcro. I will go down this route personally. You can have them or paint them in black too. The "downside" (it is actually a good thing) is that even the smallest ones are so powerful for such small piece that releasing it will require some efforts - It would be great if the plain piece would have a little hole or tab where you can easily introduce a tool (i.e. sim card tool kind / watch punction kind / plastic removal kind) to remove it.

Anyhow I am in!

Thank you
Old 12-04-2022, 10:15 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IRM
Count me in for a pair Bob. Will they come black already (hope so)?

If I may add some suggestion - There are tiny neodymium magnets that would do the job much more nicely than velcro. I will go down this route personally. You can have them or paint them in black too. The "downside" (it is actually a good thing) is that even the smallest ones are so powerful for such small piece that releasing it will require some efforts - It would be great if the plain piece would have a little hole or tab where you can easily introduce a tool (i.e. sim card tool kind / watch punction kind / plastic removal kind) to remove it.

Anyhow I am in!

Thank you
Thanks and yes, I should have mentioned that they will be anodized Black. When we came out with the 3D printed ones someone tried magnets but I cannot recall how it turned out, but the backs will not have anything on them so purchasers will be able to make their own choices as to how to attach them. And we tried the tab thing as well but that was hard to incorporate; however, when using velcro it allows one to push on one side and it flexes enough to remove them with ease. As I said, we really took a lot of time trying to perfect these and this solution turned out to be the best.
The following users liked this post:
IRM (12-04-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 12:46 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Covers

I’m in Bob!
thanks as always for helping us all out.

Rob
Old 12-04-2022, 03:10 PM
ltfl09
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 88 Posts

To be honest if you just put a straight nub on the bottom it shouldn't fly out. When taking out pull straight up
Old 12-04-2022, 09:44 PM
Der Tgr
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 144 Posts

I'm interested in a set - Thanks! Would they say "Spyder" on them as yours do in the pictures, or just be smooth?

Last edited by Der Tgr; 12-04-2022 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-04-2022, 11:13 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,498 Likes on 2,253 Posts

Originally Posted by Der Tgr
I'm interested in a set - Thanks! Would they say "Spyder" on them as yours do in the pictures, or just be smooth?
The plugs only cover the top attachment holes, the elliptical piece, not the entire trim piece where the spyder script is.

Quick Reply: Spyder Top Hole Covers?