Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Impressions from Cup2's in -3c (26F)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2022 | 08:28 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Yeah, you can do it, but doesn’t mean you should do it. Better safe than sorry IMO.

As an analogy, you can wear your leather sole dress shoes in the snow, but why? Snow boots are better.

However, if you want to explore the traction limits and behavior of the car at lower speed, then I guess this will be a good time to do it.

YMMV.
Old 11-24-2022 | 07:33 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by qil
I took the Cup2's over a mountain pass here in the PNW when it was dumping rain. That is one experience that I never want to repeat. I now have a set of RE980 that I put on between November-April
Cup 2 and alike are meant for warm, dry road driving. Period. Take either one of those factors out of the equation, and these amazing machines become impotent. Part of the enjoyment of these cars is that amazing precision feel, and tactile feedback that allows you to push the envelope because you know how the car is interacting with the road. That is all but lost in less than ideal weather conditions with the Cup 2 and alike. I just replaced my primary tires for the first time in the late summer, and I switched to Michelin PS4S.
The following users liked this post:
BoxKing (12-01-2022)
Old 11-24-2022 | 08:08 AM
edub
Pro

Originally Posted by Dyim
Yeah, you can do it, but doesn’t mean you should do it. Better safe than sorry IMO.

As an analogy, you can wear your leather sole dress shoes in the snow, but why? Snow boots are better.

However, if you want to explore the traction limits and behavior of the car at lower speed, then I guess this will be a good time to do it.

YMMV.
I needed to drive on the race track though - traction at the track was normal.

Originally Posted by qil
I took the Cup2's over a mountain pass here in the PNW when it was dumping rain. That is one experience that I never want to repeat. I now have a set of RE980 that I put on between November-April
Even when they were new, the Cup2 were are terrible in the rain on the street.

Originally Posted by VVG
Cup 2 and alike are meant for warm, dry road driving. Period. Take either one of those factors out of the equation, and these amazing machines become impotent. Part of the enjoyment of these cars is that amazing precision feel, and tactile feedback that allows you to push the envelope because you know how the car is interacting with the road. That is all but lost in less than ideal weather conditions with the Cup 2 and alike. I just replaced my primary tires for the first time in the late summer, and I switched to Michelin PS4S.
They worked great at the track, no impotence. When they were cold on the street, it wasn't the best tire to have out in that moment.

Old 11-24-2022 | 08:22 AM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Many years ago, I purchased my new B5 S4 that came with summer tires. Never had summer tires before this. My commute to work included some very nice, twisty roads that I would often use to unwind on the way home. Well, when cold weather arrived I got to experience first hand how much temperature affected these tires. Tried taking one of my usual curves at about 50 mph and damn near sh*t myself. Must have had an angel on my shoulder that day. Never again will I drive with summers below 45F
Old 11-24-2022 | 09:47 AM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dyim
Yeah, you can do it, but doesn’t mean you should do it.
This is it, really. People on forums love to pretend that you’ll immediately crash and die, but you just have to adjust your driving and be responsible. I’ve been stuck in snow on R comp tires more than once and you can still make it work, you just have to be careful.

Not driving on PS4S below 50 degrees seems like taking it a bit too cautious for me, but everyone has their own risk tolerance and other options/vehicles.
Old 11-24-2022 | 11:42 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

In winter conditions:

Summer tires are bad enough but competition tires in the snow are a disaster waiting to happen, this isn't a case of making it work or getting by... if you don't have the right equipment, you shouldn't be out there, no excuses. To do so puts the rest of us at risk, get into a slide or lose control and plow into another person damaging their vehicle or possibly injuring them is simply wrong! “It is not about you.”

I shouldn't be at risk of getting hit because someone else is too cheap to put the correct tires on their vehicle.

Last edited by Westcoast; 11-24-2022 at 11:54 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Westcoast:
BoxKing (12-01-2022), FASTRKMAN (11-24-2022), UncleDude (11-24-2022)

Quick Reply: Impressions from Cup2's in -3c (26F)