Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Multi Function Steering wheel swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 08:14 PM
rev_hi
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Multi Function Steering wheel swap

I have a 2021 718 Spyder with multi function GT steering wheel. I would like to swap with a non multi function steering wheel and transfer the buttons to the new one so that I can pick a new wheel with the gray stitching. Will the buttons from the old multi function GT wheel simply swap out with a new one w/out any buttons in it (as long as I transfer all connectors etc from the old wheel to the new one)?

Here is a picture of my current wheel

Here is the wheel that I am thinking about:
https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...t4rsswhal.html

Everything that I have read seems that the buttons should work on the new wheel but I wanted to make sure before I purchase! Thanks for your help!
Old 11-15-2022, 08:26 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 785 Likes on 449 Posts

Either you get the buttons or the stalks. Maybe I’m not understanding. I went from a non multifunction and non heated steering wheel to a multifunction heated GT steering wheel. Porsche had to code the new wheel in. As far as I know you can’t just swap steering wheels without the dealer helping you. And some dealers says it isn’t possible but those are the ones who don’t know what they’re doing. Dealer I went to apparently does them all the time and was easily able to swap mine for me.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (11-16-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 08:29 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by rev_hi
I have a 2021 718 Spyder with multi function GT steering wheel. I would like to swap with a non multi function steering wheel and transfer the buttons to the new one so that I can pick a new wheel with the gray stitching. Will the buttons from the old multi function GT wheel simply swap out with a new one w/out any buttons in it (as long as I transfer all connectors etc from the old wheel to the new one)?

Everything that I have read seems that the buttons should work on the new wheel but I wanted to make sure before I purchase! Thanks for your help!
I did this exact swap with my 2019 Carrera GT. I wanted the beautiful simplicty of the GT steering wheel. The dealership and I finally pulled off the conversion but I had to purchase a new 4-stalk wheel clockspring to have the lower right stalk take over the functions of the buttons on the steering wheel. Then it had to be programmed etc... and I did lose the heat function.

So it can be done, and Suncoast sells the replacement plain inserts, but it's a hasstle.

Good luck!

c1pher (11-15-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 08:47 PM
rev_hi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by c1pher
Either you get the buttons or the stalks. Maybe I’m not understanding. I went from a non multifunction and non heated steering wheel to a multifunction heated GT steering wheel. Porsche had to code the new wheel in. As far as I know you can’t just swap steering wheels without the dealer helping you. And some dealers says it isn’t possible but those are the ones who don’t know what they’re doing. Dealer I went to apparently does them all the time and was easily able to swap mine for me.

Sorry it's hard for me to explain but I'd like to transfer the old buttons to the new steering wheel. So I'd be taking the new wheel apart and transferring the buttons to the new steering wheel. If you take the new wheel apart I think that the blank part is interchangeable with the button assembly with no rework but I wanted to double check that before I pulled the trigger. Hope that helps clarify! Thanks!
Old 11-15-2022, 08:47 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,031 Likes on 552 Posts

MF wheels will have wires for the buttons going thru the spokes.

A non MF wheel have the wires going to the stalk on the lower right.

You will have to take apart both wheels to see if you can reuse the old wiring harness on the new wheel.

Some pics in this thread about swapping the silver trim of a non MF wheel. Maybe you can take your own wheel off and see if your wiring harness will fit the non MF wheel by comparing the wheels.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...ck-spokes.html
Old 11-15-2022, 08:49 PM
rev_hi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zeus993
I did this exact swap with my 2019 Carrera GT. I wanted the beautiful simplicty of the GT steering wheel. The dealership and I finally pulled off the conversion but I had to purchase a new 4-stalk wheel clockspring to have the lower right stalk take over the functions of the buttons on the steering wheel. Then it had to be programmed etc... and I did lose the heat function.

So it can be done, and Suncoast sells the replacement plain inserts, but it's a hasstle.

Good luck!
I was wondering if anyone had done what you mentioned. But I was actually trying to just transfer the buttons to the new steering wheel. I have seen from a few videos that it appears that the blank part of the new wheel can be removed and replaced with the button assembly from the old wheel. And in that way it should be plug and play. Thanks for your help! Love the look of the GT wheel!
Old 11-15-2022, 08:52 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 852 Likes on 451 Posts

I think he's asking if he can put his OLD multifunction buttons and controls from his old wheel into the new wheel (which won't be a multifunction wheel). Or in other words, turn an non multifunction wheel into a multifunction wheel.
The only thing is that the new wheel won't be heated. I'm wondering if there's some coding you'd need to do because you may get a warning on the dash.
Larry Cable (11-16-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 09:01 PM
beez
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts

Have you talked with the people at Suncoast parts where you're going to buy the wheel? I've found the parts people there very knowledgeable about the ins-and-outs of doing things like this.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:26 PM
rev_hi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MrFunk
I think he's asking if he can put his OLD multifunction buttons and controls from his old wheel into the new wheel (which won't be a multifunction wheel). Or in other words, turn an non multifunction wheel into a multifunction wheel.
The only thing is that the new wheel won't be heated. I'm wondering if there's some coding you'd need to do because you may get a warning on the dash.
Thanks! This is exactly what I was hoping to do!
Old 11-15-2022, 09:27 PM
F1-DNA
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 44 Posts

If you go with the GT4rs wheel you’ll have paddle shifter holes in the back since your car is manual too. You’re better off getting a GT sport wheel for a manual car.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:28 PM
rev_hi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by beez
Have you talked with the people at Suncoast parts where you're going to buy the wheel? I've found the parts people there very knowledgeable about the ins-and-outs of doing things like this.
Thanks, I did ask them but they said that they didn't know and couldn't provide any support on that question.
Old 11-15-2022, 10:08 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Sorry it's hard for me to explain but I'd like to transfer the old buttons to the new steering wheel. So I'd be taking the new wheel apart and transferring the buttons to the new steering wheel. If you take the new wheel apart I think that the blank part is interchangeable with the button assembly with no rework but I wanted to double check that before I pulled the trigger. Hope that helps clarify! Thanks!
So I think it would just be easier to buy the whole wheel. You can then sell your old wheel on eBay which helped offset the cost. In this case I don’t think you’d need any coding done.
Old 11-15-2022, 10:10 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by beez
When I asked my dealer and showed them the price and that it was available immediately, they said even if they could get it, it would come from Germany, who knows how long and not for that cheap. So they advised me to buy from sun coast, bring the wheel to them and they’d install it.
Old 11-16-2022, 10:05 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Hmmmm, I think that I would take a different approach, but it will require you not to drive the car for a little while...

I would reach out to these guys: Dallas Custom Steering Wheel (dallassteeringwheel.com) They could take you existing wheel and change it over to Alcantara/RaceTex doing the stitching in grey, I'll bet even add a center stripe to match. No coding needed!

Last edited by Westcoast; 11-16-2022 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-17-2022, 03:55 PM
rev_hi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Hmmmm, I think that I would take a different approach, but it will require you not to drive the car for a little while...

I would reach out to these guys: Dallas Custom Steering Wheel (dallassteeringwheel.com) They could take you existing wheel and change it over to Alcantara/RaceTex doing the stitching in grey, I'll bet even add a center stripe to match. No coding needed!

Good idea! Thanks. I'll look into that as well!

Quick Reply: Multi Function Steering wheel swap