Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 and Spyder RS Aftermarket Exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 09:27 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 786 Posts

My first priority is I want a GT3 cup car type sound similar to what JCR achieved on the GT4. Second priority is no drone or small amount that you can easily avoid a certain RPM range. Third priority is reusing the stock Weissach tips because they're beautiful. Fourth priority is I don't want it to be insanely loud where it overpowers the unique intake sound completely.

It's too early to judge to see who has achieved #1 and #2 above since almost no sets have been delivered to real customers. For #3 it seems like Fabspeed and Kline are the only ones allowing that so far?

So far I've ordered Fabspeed OAP's because they're the only ones that are decently affordable($2200 - 15% discount code) with heat shielding. I should have them installed in the next few weeks but I'm assuming it will just increase stock volume by 20-30% similar to what OAP's do on the GT4/Spyder.
The following 2 users liked this post by cooler2442:
monchter (08-14-2023), tomcattmatt (05-09-2024)
Old 07-23-2023, 10:00 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by cooler2442
My first priority is I want a GT3 cup car type sound similar to what JCR achieved on the GT4. Second priority is no drone or small amount that you can easily avoid a certain RPM range. Third priority is reusing the stock Weissach tips because they're beautiful. Fourth priority is I don't want it to be insanely loud where it overpowers the unique intake sound completely.

It's too early to judge to see who has achieved #1 and #2 above since almost no sets have been delivered to real customers. For #3 it seems like Fabspeed and Kline are the only ones allowing that so far?

So far I've ordered Fabspeed OAP's because they're the only ones that are decently affordable($2200 - 15% discount code) with heat shielding. I should have them installed in the next few weeks but I'm assuming it will just increase stock volume by 20-30% similar to what OAP's do on the GT4/Spyder.

From what I have learned on the GT4 and GT4RS, getting the GT3/Cup car sound will be almost impossible, you will be able to get close but that will come with drone for sure and that's' your #2 priority, no drone. So for those two things to work you will need a rear section with a real muffler, not a resonator(s) and no dumping of each bank individually. This also affects your #4 priority...it order to keep volume at sane levels you need a muffler and valves. On you #3 priority ,the reason some manufacturers are not using the WP tips is because of the flow restrictions of stepping down the tubing on the rear section, these cars need 3" tubing and the OEM muffler is 2.25", it's the same muffler as on the GT4 and on those a muffler change did provide a bump in power so on the 4RS it will be more. Those keeping the same tubing diameter as OEM tells a lot about how much R&D they do for these cars. Excluding pricing, which can be a hot topic, Dundon setup might get you close. The SOUL setup is amore economical and their rear valved muffler does sound very good even with valves close, with minimal drone....but it's not GT3/Cup sound. Would be interesting to hear the Klein system and if you are Ok with not maximizing power gains this might be the ticket for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by jmartpr:
Hwy (07-24-2023), lovetoturn (07-24-2023)
Old 07-23-2023, 10:13 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,782 Likes on 891 Posts

Im torn on this one. I've never listened to my GT4rs from the outside. I probably never will! And it sounds so damn good from inside! 30-50 extra HP and I'm in. But for it to sound "better" to others outside of the car.... 🤷
Old 07-23-2023, 10:15 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 786 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
From what I have learned on the GT4 and GT4RS, getting the GT3/Cup car sound will be almost impossible, you will be able to get close but that will come with drone for sure and that's' your #2 priority, no drone. So for those two things to work you will need a rear section with a real muffler, not a resonator(s) and no dumping of each bank individually. This also affects your #4 priority...it order to keep volume at sane levels you need a muffler and valves. On you #3 priority ,the reason some manufacturers are not using the WP tips is because of the flow restrictions of stepping down the tubing on the rear section, these cars need 3" tubing and the OEM muffler is 2.25", it's the same muffler as on the GT4 and on those a muffler change did provide a bump in power so on the 4RS it will be more. Those keeping the same tubing diameter as OEM tells a lot about how much R&D they do for these cars. Excluding pricing, which can be a hot topic, Dundon setup might get you close. The SOUL setup is amore economical and their rear valved muffler does sound very good even with valves close, with minimal drone....but it's not GT3/Cup sound. Would be interesting to hear the Klein system and if you are Ok with not maximizing power gains this might be the ticket for you.
Not impossible, I achieved that sound with Flat6 OAP's and JCR rear silenced valved section on my Spyder with very minimal drone(easy to stay out of 2300rpm where the drone happened). Sounded way better than Soul/Kline/etc. I think the 3" tubing is overblown and is marketing "hype" by the brands who are using it, there's dyno's from those brands showing just rear section gains and they're very minimal. Most of the power gains are coming from either removing the OAP's which have the OPF's or headers with smaller cats/re-routing them.

I will admit most of the exhaust brands for the 4RS are taking longer R&D and putting more thought into the rear sections. Both Soul and Fabspeed have X Pipes and Hemholtz Resonators trying to get that cleaner high pitch sound. I'm in SoCal so I'll end up hearing most of the setups in the next 6months I bet since we have so many 4RS's here already.
Old 07-23-2023, 10:21 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
Im torn on this one. I've never listened to my GT4rs from the outside. I probably never will! And it sounds so damn good from inside! 30-50 extra HP and I'm in. But for it to sound "better" to others outside of the car.... 🤷
Sound on the outside is not that great thanks to the awful OEM muffler...had the same problem on the GT4
lovetoturn (07-24-2023), twospyders (11-29-2023)
Old 07-23-2023, 10:36 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Not impossible, I achieved that sound with Flat6 OAP's and JCR rear silenced valved section on my Spyder with very minimal drone(easy to stay out of 2300rpm where the drone happened). Sounded way better than Soul/Kline/etc. I think the 3" tubing is overblown and is marketing "hype" by the brands who are using it, there's dyno's from those brands showing just rear section gains and they're very minimal. Most of the power gains are coming from either removing the OAP's which have the OPF's or headers with smaller cats/re-routing them.

I will admit most of the exhaust brands for the 4RS are taking longer R&D and putting more thought into the rear sections. Both Soul and Fabspeed have X Pipes and Hemholtz Resonators trying to get that cleaner high pitch sound. I'm in SoCal so I'll end up hearing most of the setups in the next 6months I bet since we have so many 4RS's here already.
It won't sound like a GT3...trust me, tried countless combos on the GT4. It did sound good/way better with some combinations, close to GT3 but never like a GT3.
And that 2300 drone you talk about....on the GT4RS/SRS you will live in that range with less insulation and more sounds coming into the cabin...unless you pick your gears and keep it above 3K rpm.
I also wouldn't discount the 3" tubing as Hype....there's more than enough evidence of that on the GT4 and now on the GT4RS. Some GT4's picked +10 hp at the wheels with a muffler change, the 4RS should at least match that.
All the data on 991/992 GT3/RS exhaust point to 3" tubing...we have the same engine with longer exhaust route so it also applies here...but if Weissach tips are a Priority then go for the smaller tuning.
I personally have the Soul street header package and their valved muffler...very close to GT3 sound but it still has that particular character that's unique to the mid engine platform. But very happy with the results so far...unfortunately had to give up on the Weissach tips.
enduro (11-27-2023), lovetoturn (07-24-2023)
Old 07-23-2023, 11:05 PM
Martini racer
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I would wait for feedback...what works on the 718 GT4 may not be the same on the GT4RS. If the drone was a problem on the GT4 the GT4RS has more plus you have intake sound, less insulation, different engine, etc.
Most headers/OAP with cats are similar to what Dundon did on the GT4 and this design is the best solution for the 4RS

IMHO I think Soul put a LOT of R&D on their setups and were some of the first to have different systems.
Dundon should be good but very expensive, specially if you add the still pending rear muffler.
JCR is basically following what they did on the GT4
Fabspeed? Not so sure on those....will reserve my opinion on that one.
Still waiting on Cargraphics.
Kline is a good option is you are looking for sound...don't like their header design.
Akra is a mixed bag...their OAP are a good product and a great price, headers like those above? Not sure but they do look pretty and probably expensive..rear muffler? Hate their sound and design...is like the OEM but amplified and way too expensive.

Before you jump into something take a look at the design, how much R&D the company did, any feedback from manufacturer and users.
Some of the stuff out there is just to please people but I doubt it delivers the goods.
I like the advice on "wait" part. i am waiting for feedback on OAP's, headers, exhaust and 19" wheel options. I went crazy on my 981 GT4 but i will be patient with my RS.
Old 07-24-2023, 01:04 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,992 Likes on 2,276 Posts

Yeah, I'm keeping my OEM rear muffler and going to get headers and side OAP pipes to get power gains first and some better sound second. I did that very same thing for my 718 GT4 and I could feel the extra power gains and didn't have drone with it only being a little louder before 4,500rpm.
Old 07-24-2023, 01:42 AM
Martini racer
Racer

i don't have experience with OAP's because mine is a 981 but I had zero gains with dundon headers. I spent 5K just for louder noise, i guess.
I am hoping OAP's can make a little difference for the RS though.
Old 07-24-2023, 05:25 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,992 Likes on 2,276 Posts

Originally Posted by Martini racer
i don't have experience with OAP's because mine is a 981 but I had zero gains with dundon headers. I spent 5K just for louder noise, i guess.
I am hoping OAP's can make a little difference for the RS though.
The OAP pipes definitely will give you more power because they get rid of those butt plug particular filters. I just did Cargraphic catless headers on my 981 GT4 and I did Caragraphic catless headers + Arka OAP side pipes on my 718 GT4. Great combo of power and sound on both cars.
Old 07-24-2023, 08:40 PM
CaptainFin
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Kline inconel was phenomenal on the GT4 but did introduce some drone though what reports claim is much less than other brands. I have the same 4 priorities and in the same order but am waiting for feedback before moving on the Kline system for this car.
Old 07-25-2023, 02:32 AM
Martini racer
Racer

Originally Posted by CaptainFin
Kline inconel was phenomenal on the GT4 but did introduce some drone though what reports claim is much less than other brands. I have the same 4 priorities and in the same order but am waiting for feedback before moving on the Kline system for this car.
my friend has kline inconel on his 718 and I can't stand the noise. it doesn't have a tone, it's just obnoxiously loud.
Old 07-25-2023, 09:58 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Martini racer
my friend has kline inconel on his 718 and I can't stand the noise. it doesn't have a tone, it's just obnoxiously loud.
I rest my case - how can 2 different people think a specific exhaust sound so different?! For the last time, this shows that sound is subjective! One has to hear what they are buying first in order to decide if that is the sound they are looking for. (And I still think my Soul setup sounds the best, to me).
The following 3 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
Jay Cordeiro (12-02-2023), RADONCulous (07-25-2023), twospyders (11-29-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 10:08 AM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I rest my case - how can 2 different people think a specific exhaust sound so different?! For the last time, this shows that sound is subjective! One has to hear what they are buying first in order to decide if that is the sound they are looking for. (And I still think my Soul setup sounds the best, to me).
This.
Old 07-26-2023, 02:32 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,398 Likes on 2,210 Posts

Stainless or Inconel - smart!

https://www.kline-innovation.com/exh...che-718-gt4rs/
The following users liked this post:
GT4rsG (07-26-2023)

Quick Reply: GT4 and Spyder RS Aftermarket Exhausts