Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

oil change at 2200 miles. Yeah or nay

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2022 | 11:56 AM
PaulE
Rennlist Member

FWIW I followed the AP break-in method and immediately did a 2 day HPDE at New Jersey Motorsports Park. I decided to have the oil changed at 1,275 miles and couldn't find any Mobil 1 EXP X3 0W40, so I went with the Audi 0W40 that meets the VW511.00 spec. Since then I did a 3 day HPDE at Virginia International Raceway and over 1,000 miles driving back and forth. I will have the oil changed again now, and then will change it every 5,000 miles or after every 2 HPDEs. This will be done at my independent shop without resetting the maintenance interval, I will go to Porsche for the annual oil changes - the first one is included of course but I also bought a 3 year maintenance plan. Here is the Blackstone Report from my first oil change. Reading the tea leaves, maybe the oil change wasn't necessary, but like others have said, engines are expensive, oil is cheap. Also, the car used no oil before the first oil change, and hasn't used any subsequently (according to the magical electronic dipstick). I'll get a Blackstone analysis on the next oil change, after that I'm not sure if I'll keep doing it, but it's only $30 a pop.

Old 11-12-2022 | 01:28 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PaulE
FWIW I followed the AP break-in method and immediately did a 2 day HPDE at New Jersey Motorsports Park. I decided to have the oil changed at 1,275 miles and couldn't find any Mobil 1 EXP X3 0W40, so I went with the Audi 0W40 that meets the VW511.00 spec. Since then I did a 3 day HPDE at Virginia International Raceway and over 1,000 miles driving back and forth. I will have the oil changed again now, and then will change it every 5,000 miles or after every 2 HPDEs. This will be done at my independent shop without resetting the maintenance interval, I will go to Porsche for the annual oil changes - the first one is included of course but I also bought a 3 year maintenance plan. Here is the Blackstone Report from my first oil change. Reading the tea leaves, maybe the oil change wasn't necessary, but like others have said, engines are expensive, oil is cheap. Also, the car used no oil before the first oil change, and hasn't used any subsequently (according to the magical electronic dipstick). I'll get a Blackstone analysis on the next oil change, after that I'm not sure if I'll keep doing it, but it's only $30 a pop.
Your viscosity numbers are the best I've seen with 0W40 C40 oil. Keep an eye on that next time if you go for longer intervals. The GT3 and GT4 RS motor seems to really break down the viscosity quickly (maybe a GT4 less so).
Old 11-12-2022 | 01:35 PM
PaulE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
Your viscosity numbers are the best I've seen with 0W40 C40 oil. Keep an eye on that next time if you go for longer intervals. The GT3 and GT4 RS motor seems to really break down the viscosity quickly (maybe a GT4 less so).
Thanks, are you referring to the cSt or SUS viscosity, or both? I think I'll be seeing frequent oil changes, my schedule will be every 2 HPDEs or 5,000 miles, whichever comes first. I usually do a few HPDEs every year, between 2 and 5. If I stay on the low end of HPDEs my miles should be less than 5,000 a year.
Old 11-12-2022 | 01:43 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PaulE
Thanks, are you referring to the cSt or SUS viscosity, or both?
Both, but the cSt is the one where I almost always see the number being well below the bottom of the recommended range on a new GT3/4RS.
The following users liked this post:
PaulE (11-12-2022)
Old 11-12-2022 | 04:22 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

I do a yearly oil change, regardless of mileage. I typically do 1500-2k miles. In general, before winter is better than in spring if you're storing so that it isn't sitting with dirty oil. But that's just repeating what I've heard and it does make sense to me.

I also like doing a yearly oil change because it gives a chance for the rest of the car to be inspected and catch anything early so I'm minimizing the chances of needing a repair in the middle of the summer/driving season.
Larry Cable (11-15-2022)
Old 11-12-2022 | 05:14 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

I’d like to see a bad Blackstone report from someone who just changes the oil when the car indicates that it’s needed
Old 11-13-2022 | 10:29 AM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Only a fool would change their oil at 1,500 miles when the break in is complete. Zero evidence it is beneficial. I changed mine at 1,500 miles when the break in was complete. I am the fool.
slilley (11-13-2022)
Old 11-14-2022 | 05:25 PM
nobbyv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dyim
Personal decision.

This is one of those RL debates where everyone has their own opinion. eg following factory break-in recommendation, manual vs PDK, steel vs PCCB…etc. It is a matter of which camp you subscribe to.

I just do mine yearly.
Eh...except in this case, there is an owner's manual written with the help of Porsche engineers who say every 10k. Not really an "opnion".
Old 11-16-2022 | 12:19 PM
nineball
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nobbyv
Eh...except in this case, there is an owner's manual written with the help of Porsche engineers who say every 10k. Not really an "opnion".
or 12 months....

Quick Reply: oil change at 2200 miles. Yeah or nay