Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4RS Mag wheels + PCCB + small stones = wheel barrel scoring?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 03:53 PM
greatfox315
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 56 Posts
Default GT4RS Mag wheels + PCCB + small stones = wheel barrel scoring?

Just curious if any of you have info on the clearance between the inner barrel of the WP mag wheel and the pccb caliper? I’ve read so many stories about scored barrels with cars sporting the 410mm PCCB front brakes, but none specifically about PCCB + mag wheels. Could it be that the mag wheels have more clearance between caliper and barrel? Or is it just that they are more rare and thus fewer stories about the issue?

On the GT4RS and 992 GT3, even the steel brakes have what looks like very tight clearance between the caliper and the wheel barrel, given that the steel brakes are only 2mm smaller in diameter (which yields one more millimeter of space between caliper and barrel). Has this issue been recorded on the 992 GT3 or GT4RS with steel brakes yet?

All of this consternation arises from my impending decision to opt in or out of the wheel and tire protection coverage from Porsche. I was quoted $4999 for 7 years unlimited miles for the wheel/tire protection. If bundled with “term” protection, that price drops to $3999 for the same duration/miles.

Given the above, and the great expense of the mag wheels, would you all consider paying for the wheel/tire protection? And in your experience, will the “term protection” plus brake add-on cover damage to the calipers from previously-mentioned stones? The dealer was very nebulous about answering these questions as they said a Porsche NA claims adjuster would have to determine if the damage is considered cosmetic or structural before agreeing to repair or replace the damaged wheel/caliper.
Old 10-30-2022, 05:52 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

You will most likely only get cosmetic damage so keep that in mind. Personally, I never opt for add-on coverages nor have I had damage that would have been a claim. It really depends on where you live, the condition of the roads, how you plan to drive, etc. I have heard of some benefiting from add-ons but as they said in Vegas, "the house always wins" so I bet that most do not benefit.
The following users liked this post:
greatfox315 (10-30-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 06:08 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,007 Posts

house always wins is a perfect line for insurance stuff too. IMO the only way you win with that stuff is by winning the unlucky lottery of a bunch of claims, or by knowing a lot about the details and 'scamming' the system for every little thing that bugs you that you can claim and you knew you were going to do that before you signed up. Statistically they take in gobs of money compared to what they pay out, so if you're asking about it, I know you're not going to make hay on it by claims unless you are super unlucky with legitimate normal claims.

I'd save the money myself and skip it.

Your current insurance policy also likely covers a lot of what that crap does, and there is probably clause that says if you have it on your insurance policy that is your primary coverage and this is secondary after that pays out = you never benefit from this for most of the damage it 'covers'. or maybe it pays your deductible (minor).
greatfox315 (10-30-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 08:30 PM
greatfox315
Instructor

Thanks for the input everyone. The “house always wins” notion is very poignant.

I’ll check with my insurance carrier to see if this sort of road hazard is covered by my comprehensive insurance.

Last edited by greatfox315; 10-31-2022 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-30-2022, 09:08 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,007 Posts

So if you do make that call the only useful answers you're going to get are if you word stuff in terms they can understand.

A) My PCCBs on my 718 GT4 RS WP with pdk, lwbs, with full PPF and ceramic cost 30g to replace, if one gets scratched by a pebble stuck in it are you going to replace both PCCBs and the pads, guarantee they'll flush the fluid and retorque the wheels to 450lbs (or whatever it is now) and buy me new rims?
B) If I go down a road and debris hits my car and gets jammed in my wheel, messes up my wheel and busts my brake rotor to the point where it is unsafe and needs to be changed, is that covered?

$1000000000 says if you word it like A they say no to cover their *** after their head stops spinning. They might even ask a higher up for advice if a rotor gets scratched are we buying this guy new 30g brakes and then the guy with knowledge from 1980 will laugh and say no, rotors are wear and tear, it's normal to get metal rotors scratched and can be machined. And if you word it like B they should say yes to. Then if it's anything like my insurance companies in Canada all calls are recorded and they keep those records for years and years so you have them on record saying it is, but it normally would be anyway (I could see some insurnace companies trying to get out of it if the bill is really high for something niche like that though).

Adjusters make zero and get about 3 minutes of training. Car knowledge of them is also non-existent. I'm sure the states is just like canada right now for workers, or even worse, but man they've been hiring some dregs of the barrel lately on insurance's end. I recently called for a customer's deductible and got transferred to a bank branch manager lol. after I was transferred twice before by people who didn't know what I was talking about. These were front line workers at insurance that deal with claims and set it up for an adjuster to take over and 3 of them in a row didn't know what a deductible meant even with explaining it and why I was asking about it.

Last edited by Zhao; 10-30-2022 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-30-2022, 09:11 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by greatfox315
Thanks for the input everyone. The “house always wins” notion is very poignant.

I’ll check with mg insurance carrier to see if this sort of road hazard is covered by my comprehensive insurance.
Yeah, I'd probably pass on the wheel and tire plan, especially at those prices. And if a rock wedged itself in between the caliper and wheel and it was more than cosmetic, that's a comprehensive insurance claim and all you'd eat is the deductible if any.

But I've seen my fair share of "the house took it in the shorts" when it comes to extended warranties on high end cars, namely Audi, BMW, AM, so I'm not entirely opposed to additional coverage on those cars if someone is planning a long term engagement.
Old 10-31-2022, 12:13 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 269 Posts

For reference this is what it looks like. Happened on my 3RS

Old 10-31-2022, 12:29 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,766 Likes on 2,764 Posts

Originally Posted by greatfox315
Just curious if any of you have info on the clearance between the inner barrel of the WP mag wheel and the pccb caliper? I’ve read so many stories about scored barrels with cars sporting the 410mm PCCB front brakes, but none specifically about PCCB + mag wheels. Could it be that the mag wheels have more clearance between caliper and barrel? Or is it just that they are more rare and thus fewer stories about the issue?

On the GT4RS and 992 GT3, even the steel brakes have what looks like very tight clearance between the caliper and the wheel barrel, given that the steel brakes are only 2mm smaller in diameter (which yields one more millimeter of space between caliper and barrel). Has this issue been recorded on the 992 GT3 or GT4RS with steel brakes yet?

All of this consternation arises from my impending decision to opt in or out of the wheel and tire protection coverage from Porsche. I was quoted $4999 for 7 years unlimited miles for the wheel/tire protection. If bundled with “term” protection, that price drops to $3999 for the same duration/miles.

Given the above, and the great expense of the mag wheels, would you all consider paying for the wheel/tire protection? And in your experience, will the “term protection” plus brake add-on cover damage to the calipers from previously-mentioned stones? The dealer was very nebulous about answering these questions as they said a Porsche NA claims adjuster would have to determine if the damage is considered cosmetic or structural before agreeing to repair or replace the damaged wheel/caliper.
More likely this (bolded text above) is the reason for less reports...
greatfox315 (10-31-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 12:46 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,285 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Itzkirb

Awwww...that's cute.

FWIW, I got wheel/tire coverage from a 3rd party, when signing paperwork to pickup my CPO from Porsche dealer. My main concern was bent/broken wheels, and tire failures, given road quality in my area (unfounded following PASM setting changes). When I noticed scoring (looking back at pics when car was in showroom, significant scoring was already present), I called wheel insurance company who said the cosmetic damage was not covered. Here is mine:

Old 10-31-2022, 12:53 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
Awwww...that's cute.

FWIW, I got wheel/tire coverage from a 3rd party, when signing paperwork to pickup my CPO from Porsche dealer. My main concern was bent/broken wheels, and tire failures, given road quality in my area (unfounded following PASM setting changes). When I noticed scoring (looking back at pics when car was in showroom, significant scoring was already present), I called wheel insurance company who said the cosmetic damage was not covered. Here is mine:

Does that mean that curb rash and stone chips would also be uncovered? If so, that's good info for the group. All wheels suffer some cosmetic damage during normal use so your experience isn't a surprise to me. Otherwise these companies would be repairing and buying new wheels right and left and that's not good for the "house always wins" business model.
Old 10-31-2022, 12:55 PM
sgreer78
Rennlist Member

Received 689 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Itzkirb
I got one just like that on my GT4 with under 100 miles...I knew it would happen eventually, but it could've waited a bit longer.
Old 10-31-2022, 12:57 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,766 Likes on 2,764 Posts

Would they call a gouge this deep cosmetic? At some point it must compromise barrel integrity?

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post15329029

Old 10-31-2022, 01:12 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,285 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Would they call a gouge this deep cosmetic? At some point it must compromise barrel integrity?

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post15329029
I want to say I heard/read >2mm-3mm warrants a replacement.
Old 10-31-2022, 05:29 PM
greatfox315
Instructor

Originally Posted by Westcoast
More likely this (bolded text above) is the reason for less reports...
Yeah, I think you’re right.
Old 10-31-2022, 05:34 PM
greatfox315
Instructor

Porsche’s own Tire and Wheel Protection plan specifically lists cosmetic damage as covered with the caveat that it’s limited to 8 individual wheel claims during the term.

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
Awwww...that's cute.

Quick Reply: GT4RS Mag wheels + PCCB + small stones = wheel barrel scoring?