Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Suspension upgrade: Tractive vs KW

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 09:18 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Suspension upgrade: Tractive vs KW

Anyone have experience with Tractive and KW suspension upgrades? From what I gather the KW is a passive damper system with manually adjustable settings. It seems a bit more hardcore and maybe preferable for more track oriented car.

The tractive apparently works with PASM and provides quicker response resolution to changing road conditons. I don’t know how close it is to magnetorheological dampers but it appears the adaptive response time is susbtantially increased over stock. It would seem this might be optimally suited for enthusiastic backroad runs as pavement conditons are fsr more variable on the street than the track. My question would be how exactly does this enhanced response result in “better” handling and would stiffer springs along with the Traftive shock upgrade be an more optimal approach.

Last edited by Underblu; 10-27-2022 at 09:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (10-28-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 09:29 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Underblu
... My question would be how exactly does this enhanced response result in “better” handling and would stiffer springs along with the Traftive shock upgrade be an more optimal approach.
Depends on what your car is doing/not doing, and what you want it to do/not do:

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...-struts-2.html

Faster dampers would help keep mange road imperfections "quicker", allowing the chassis to have less drama. Having run the gamut of adjusting stock PASM settings, being a "slower" damper than Tractive, the stock dampers can feel like its doing the opposite of what it should be doing, during certain events (e.g. double bumps).
Old 10-27-2022, 10:01 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

I would like a stiffer PASM sport mode. Oddly enough, the PCCBs have made sport mode feel more comfortable and compliant than I remember it in my 2020 Spyder with irons.

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
Depends on what your car is doing/not doing, and what you want it to do/not do:

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...-struts-2.html

Faster dampers would help keep mange road imperfections "quicker", allowing the chassis to have less drama. Having run the gamut of adjusting stock PASM settings, being a "slower" damper than Tractive, the stock dampers can feel like its doing the opposite of what it should be doing, during certain events (e.g. double bumps).
Old 10-28-2022, 02:26 AM
edub
Pro

Received 347 Likes on 191 Posts

You can get stiffer just going with just a DSC. It is a noticeable difference, and if you don't like it, you can easily remove the DSC and sell it for nearly what you paid.

PCCB's should improve the ride handling, there is less unsprung mass for the damper to fight with. I would love a comfortable and compliant suspension that is fast. Sign me up!

KW's website doesn't mention DDC compatibility with the GT4 chassis. That's unfortunate as being able to adjust the struts from the comfort of your car is very nice. You can make adjustments without even turning the car off, or your passenger (or suspension person) can help you make adjustments live. It really shortens the time it takes to tune the suspension.

As for Tractive, I am happy with the Touring line struts I have. They use the OEM springs. I'm working on a travel issue right now that I'm guessing will ultimately be solved by heavier springs. But I haven't boxed myself into any corner so I'm comfortable with the path I've taken.

The Tractive Touring kit comes with toe links - something to keep in mind when you are pricing other kits out.

The only other advice I have not in my thread is - go with a suspension that has support for tuning and install and maintenance. Getting the best suspension for your car sucks when you have to work across timezones for questions, or ship them back from the US to Australia for refresh (ask me how I know).

The following 2 users liked this post by edub:
Larry Cable (10-28-2022), Underblu (10-28-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 02:34 AM
Tay101
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 116 Posts

Anyone have experience with Tractive and KW suspension upgrades? From what I gather the KW is a passive damper system with manually adjustable settings. It seems a bit more hardcore and maybe preferable for more track oriented car.

The tractive apparently works with PASM and provides quicker response resolution to changing road conditons. I don’t know how close it is to magnetorheological dampers but it appears the adaptive response time is susbtantially increased over stock. It would seem this might be optimally suited for enthusiastic backroad runs as pavement conditons are fsr more variable on the street than the track. My question would be how exactly does this enhanced response result in “better” handling and would stiffer springs along with the Traftive shock upgrade be an more optimal approach.
Unless you are referring to the KW Motorsport kit from Manthey, a better alternative to the KW Clubsport would be the Bilstein Clubsport or the Ohlins TTX as both of those are an inverted design like the Tractive system is which is superior to a standard non-inverted design.

If you want to keep the PASM, go with the DSC (Tractive) coilovers with the DSC controller. I believe the DSC coilovers must be run with the DSC controller. https://www.dscsport.com/product/dsc...81-rt-package/

Otherwise, the Bilstein Clubsport and Ohlins TTX are two great options depending on how much you want to spend. The Bilstein Clubsport is probably the best bang-for-the-buck.
Underblu (10-28-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 11:12 AM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 797 Posts

I would like a stiffer PASM sport mode. Oddly enough, the PCCBs have made sport mode feel more comfortable and compliant than I remember it in my 2020 Spyder with irons.
Originally Posted by edub
You can get stiffer just going with just a DSC. It is a noticeable difference, and if you don't like it, you can easily remove the DSC and sell it for nearly what you paid...
I'd also start with "just a DSC controller", and then add a Tractive kit if needed/desired. You could start with just lower the starting values, for front and rear, in the "Shock Calibration" tab, and see if that gets you what you're looking for:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyd...-settings.html

...but only after talking to the guys at DSC/TPC Racing, if new damper settings aren't quite working. No sense in going down a rabbit hole, if its not the right hole in the first place. FWIW, I think I would have been fine with just the DSC controller, and installing the Swift spring kit, on OEM dampers, for my 100% street driving, but I never installed the springs after purchase...car may be going elsewhere. My goal was to get a firmer ride than stock, and reduce chassis activity, when going over bumps. Toe changes over bumps aside, I think 325lbs front springs and 375Lbs rear, give or take, would be my sweet spot for comfort/control on the road.
Underblu (10-28-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 12:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by edub
You can get stiffer just going with just a DSC. It is a noticeable difference, and if you don't like it, you can easily remove the DSC and sell it for nearly what you paid.

PCCB's should improve the ride handling, there is less unsprung mass for the damper to fight with. I would love a comfortable and compliant suspension that is fast. Sign me up!

KW's website doesn't mention DDC compatibility with the GT4 chassis. That's unfortunate as being able to adjust the struts from the comfort of your car is very nice. You can make adjustments without even turning the car off, or your passenger (or suspension person) can help you make adjustments live. It really shortens the time it takes to tune the suspension.

As for Tractive, I am happy with the Touring line struts I have. They use the OEM springs. I'm working on a travel issue right now that I'm guessing will ultimately be solved by heavier springs. But I haven't boxed myself into any corner so I'm comfortable with the path I've taken.

The Tractive Touring kit comes with toe links - something to keep in mind when you are pricing other kits out.

The only other advice I have not in my thread is - go with a suspension that has support for tuning and install and maintenance. Getting the best suspension for your car sucks when you have to work across timezones for questions, or ship them back from the US to Australia for refresh (ask me how I know).
Originally Posted by Tay101
Unless you are referring to the KW Motorsport kit from Manthey, a better alternative to the KW Clubsport would be the Bilstein Clubsport or the Ohlins TTX as both of those are an inverted design like the Tractive system is which is superior to a standard non-inverted design.

If you want to keep the PASM, go with the DSC (Tractive) coilovers with the DSC controller. I believe the DSC coilovers must be run with the DSC controller. https://www.dscsport.com/product/dsc...81-rt-package/

Otherwise, the Bilstein Clubsport and Ohlins TTX are two great options depending on how much you want to spend. The Bilstein Clubsport is probably the best bang-for-the-buck.
o start with "just a DSC controller", and then add a Tractive kit if needed/desired
Originally Posted by colnagoG60
I'd als. You could start with just lower the starting values, for front and rear, in the "Shock Calibration" tab, and see if that gets you what you're looking for:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyd...-settings.html

...but only after talking to the guys at DSC/TPC Racing, if new damper settings aren't quite working. No sense in going down a rabbit hole, if its not the right hole in the first place. FWIW, I think I would have been fine with just the DSC controller, and installing the Swift spring kit, on OEM dampers, for my 100% street driving, but I never installed the springs after purchase...car may be going elsewhere. My goal was to get a firmer ride than stock, and reduce chassis activity, when going over bumps. Toe changes over bumps aside, I think 325lbs front springs and 375Lbs rear, give or take, would be my sweet spot for comfort/control on the road.

all of the above:
- try a DSC
- consider adding tractive

unless you "know" (or know someone who knows) how to adjust/tune your suspension (both dynamic or static 2/3 way) leave well alone - chances of you obtaining a better solution is "low"

Quick Reply: Suspension upgrade: Tractive vs KW