Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 Tune Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 10:03 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 439 Likes on 256 Posts
Default GT4 Tune Question

I am growing to be 'OK' with the drone that occurs between about 1800 and 2500 RPMs with my current exhaust setup. It is obnoxious, but I throttle through it when accelerating, and just suck it up when slowing down to a stop. It is the price I pay to enjoy the epic JCR tone coupled with Dundon headers/OAPs.

What is worse than the drone is the BOOMINESS that exists at idle - anytime I am at a stoplight, which seems like all the time now that it exists. I say ‘boominess’ because I do not think it is drone . . . but is even MORE annoying because I cannot escape it when stopped. Someone can correct me if wrong, but stock idle seems to be about 1K RPM, give or take.

Is it possible to get a tune that bumps the idle to, say, 1200-1400 RPM? It would not be the end of the world if the tune request came with a slight bump in TQ/HP, but that is NOT why I am interested in a tune.

I am in PDK manual mode 100% of the time with the Race Pipe because automatic mode seems to inconveniently settle in the ‘drone zone’ with every gear - excruciating, even with PDK/SPORT button activated.

The only occasion I currently have for PDK automatic mode is highway driving. Along the same lines as above, I would like to move the RPM settling point for automatic mode to the ‘right’ (higher RPM) so that it is more aggressive, in general, and settles outside (above) the drone zone. If aggressive enough, I might even find automatic mode to be occasionally enjoyable outside highway cruising?
Avera
Old 10-24-2022, 10:13 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Avera
I am growing to be 'OK' with the drone that occurs between about 1800 and 2500 RPMs with my current exhaust setup. It is obnoxious, but I throttle through it when accelerating, and just suck it up when slowing down to a stop. It is the price I pay to enjoy the epic JCR tone coupled with Dundon headers/OAPs.

What is worse than the drone is the BOOMINESS that exists at idle - anytime I am at a stoplight, which seems like all the time now that it exists. I say ‘boominess’ because I do not think it is drone . . . but is even MORE annoying because I cannot escape it when stopped. Someone can correct me if wrong, but stock idle seems to be about 1K RPM, give or take.

Is it possible to get a tune that bumps the idle to, say, 1200-1400 RPM? It would not be the end of the world if the tune request came with a slight bump in TQ/HP, but that is NOT why I am interested in a tune.

I am in PDK manual mode 100% of the time with the Race Pipe because automatic mode seems to inconveniently settle in the ‘drone zone’ with every gear - excruciating, even with PDK/SPORT button activated.

The only occasion I currently have for PDK automatic mode is highway driving. Along the same lines as above, I would like to move the RPM settling point for automatic mode to the ‘right’ (higher RPM) so that it is more aggressive, in general, and settles outside (above) the drone zone. If aggressive enough, I might even find automatic mode to be occasionally enjoyable outside highway cruising?
Avera
M-engineering lowered mine down, so I'm sure they can raise yours up.
The following users liked this post:
Avera (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 10:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 2,341 Posts

likewise @Softronic
Avera (10-24-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 12:07 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,433 Likes on 2,347 Posts

I have what many would say is a loud/aggressive Soul exhaust and mine is pretty tame at idle...are you saying yours it too loud at idle? Did it change after the exhaust changes?

Last edited by Bob Z.; 10-25-2022 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-25-2022, 07:44 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I have what many would say is a loud/aggressive Soul exhaust and mine is pretty tame at idle...are you saying yours it too loud at idle? Did it change after the exhaust changes?
@Bob Z.

Yes, at idle (e.g., stoplight) the 'boominess' is intense.

Stock exhaust acoustics were stock exhaust acoustics.

Dundon headers/OAPs with OEM rear box was pretty much like stock exhaust below 4-5K. When the valves opened, the decibels went through the roof, which I loved . . . I am just not a fan of the OEM rear box tone.

Replacing OEM rear box with Race Pipe made everything insane, both good and bad. . . . I described the bad in original post, including the 'boominess' at idle. I do not mind LOUD, per se. I mean, my setup is practically straight-piped.

The 'boominess' at idle, however, is just mind rattling. It is similar to drone experienced at 1800-2500 RPM, but different. Whatever it is - drone or otherwise - I would like avoid it by bumping the idle RPMs up a bit.

Avera
Old 10-25-2022, 07:47 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Thank you @jwr9152 and @Larry Cable

Avera
Old 10-25-2022, 09:26 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

I think I can simplify things down to this . . . I want

1. Idle (e.g., at stops) in to be about 1200-1400 RPM, whether in PDK manual or automatic modes.

2. PDK automatic mode to settle above ‘drone zone’ on shifts . . . again, drone zone is about 1800-2500 RPM so, say, 3000-3200 RPM

If idle were bumped to 3000-3200 RPM it would SOLVE ALL OF MY PROBLEMS. Is idle that high ill-advised?

Possibly mistaken, but I recall my G80C idled in the 3K+ range when Sport Plus was activated so, perhaps, having idle bumped to 3000-3200 RPM could be a ‘one-stop’ solution to all my problems . . . ‘boominess’ at approximately 1K idle AND drone between 1800 and 2500 RPM both eliminated.

If setting idle at 3000-3200K RPM is feasible and not considered detrimental, I would then ask if I could also bump shift point RPMs in PDK automatic mode to the right as well. That would be the absolute cherry on top, as it might allow me to actually enjoy PDK automatic mode for more than highway cruising.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience regarding the above?

Avera

Edit: Cold start settles to about 800 RPM, or so, once cats warm up. I am perfectly fine with that and would not want to change that idle. The 'idle' I am referring to, and want to eliminate, is when I am in a drive mode, whether PDK manual or automatic mode on the roadways and come to a stop. This is about 1K RPM and associated with intense 'boominess.'

@JCR-Porsche
@BGB Motorsports
@Softronic

Last edited by Avera; 10-25-2022 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-25-2022, 10:07 AM
Clark_Kent
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 105 Posts

Too loud at idle, drones terribly in the lower rev range, needing a 3,000+ RPM idle for the sound levels to be tolerable, characterizing your set up as "obnoxious" and "annoying". It sounds like you have a sub optimal exhaust set up a tune can't fix.
85Gold (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 10:15 AM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 916 Likes on 366 Posts

What? 3000-3200 RPM *idle*? Are you driving a V10-era F1 car?

Originally Posted by Avera;18428734

If idle were bumped to 3000-3200 RPM it would [b
SOLVE ALL OF MY PROBLEMS[/b]. Is idle that high ill-advised?
Old 10-25-2022, 10:39 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
Too loud at idle, drones terribly in the lower rev range, needing a 3,000+ RPM idle for the sound levels to be tolerable, characterizing your set up as "obnoxious" and "annoying". It sounds like you have a sub optimal exhaust set up a tune can't fix.
You could very well be correct . . . I am definitely trying to eat my cake and have it too.

I guess, at some level, everyone on this forum is doing the same. Doesn't seem many are simply content with the car Porsche built for us.

Most all of us enjoy the 'modifying' experience, and I am certainly not the first looking for that 'goldilocks' exhaust solution that best suits ME.

Avera
Old 10-25-2022, 10:43 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TXRubicon
What? 3000-3200 RPM *idle*? Are you driving a V10-era F1 car?
I think that is a bit of an exaggeration . . . my G80C was far from an F1 car and seemed to settle out near 3K RPM in Sport Plus mode while in ZF8 automatic and manual modes . . . and did not have the red line our GT4s have.

At any rate, I am asking questions. If I had it all figured out I would not have started thread.

Avera
Old 10-25-2022, 11:12 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,813 Likes on 881 Posts

Originally Posted by Avera
I think that is a bit of an exaggeration . . . my G80C was far from an F1 car and seemed to settle out near 3K RPM in Sport Plus mode while in ZF8 automatic and manual modes . . . and did not have the red line our GT4s have.

At any rate, I am asking questions. If I had it all figured out I would not have started thread.

Avera
Ask the tuners out there and see what they can do.
Avera (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 11:46 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,664 Likes on 2,085 Posts

Most would just swap out the exhaust to cure the undesirable characteristics.

Your proposed tune solutions seem like there’d be some significant drivability issues…3000 RPM idle? Case of the cure worse than the disease.
Avera (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 11:50 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Ask the tuners out there and see what they can do.
Thank you. . . I am trying

Avera
Old 10-25-2022, 11:58 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Most would just swap out the exhaust to cure the undesirable characteristics.

Your proposed tune solutions seem like there’d be some significant drivability issues…3000 RPM idle? Case of the cure worse than the disease.
@TXshaggy

You could be correct

As per my above posts, having 3K RPM 'shift settle' and idling RPM when at a stop was no problem in G80C, and was stock tune in Sport Plus.

I know an S58 is not a NAF6, but I am not sure why 3K RPM would be so detrimental?

Again, I am ASKING questions

At the end of the day I am willing to accept I am barking up a dead tree if such is the case. Above 4K I am in all of my glory and just inquiring if there exists a possible tune solution to attenuate, possibly eliminate, the bad juju that exists in the lower RPM range

Avera

Quick Reply: GT4 Tune Question