Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Issues with CPO documentation @ Porsche Conshocken

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 01:35 PM
Shovell242
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Issues with CPO documentation @ Porsche Conshocken

Hi everyone. Long-time lurker; I appreciate the wealth of information here and the thoughtful discussions. I'm in a bit of an odd situation with Porsche Conshohocken, and I wanted to see if anyone on the forums has dealt with something similar or can offer sound advice.

TLDR: I bought a 2021 718 Spyder w/ 800 miles on it in May. Advertised as "CPO," told "CPO" at time of purchase, but never received any documentation on CPO and the extended warranty etc.

Quick timeline:
  • May 7th - I buy the car
  • June 16th - SA reaches out to "finish the certification." This is the first time I realize I don't have CPO documentation.
  • Car sits in storage for a bit as I'm doing some traveling
  • August 8th - I schedule an oil change and confirm with SA that "CPO work will be completed" at the same time
  • October 4th - Confused as to why I still don't have documentation. I reached out to SA, no response
  • October 18th - I reached out to SA and gave a deadline to wrap this up during the week
  • October 21st - I get an end-of-day VM from the service manager that a truck will be coming to pick my car up on Monday morning. When I ask my SA why they need the car, I get "open recall,"....which doesn't seem accurate? (checked my VIN)

so yeah, just a weird situation that has kept dragging on. Interested in the thoughts of the forum on the best course of action.

Old 10-23-2022, 02:19 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,434 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Wrong process based on my experience (only one). The CPO process is 110 point checklist that should be done before delivery, I don’t know how they can do it without your car. Mine received new rear tires, and a major service before I picked it up, all on the dealers dime. I then relieved the checklist and I’m pretty sure I signed the extended warranty documents. I can also extend it again (3 times I believe) up to 10 years.

IMO they have not done the CPO at all.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:37 PM
String33
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 31 Posts

Was it the beautiful black one sitting in the showroom around that time? I know nothing at all about that car, but I stopped by on a Sunday and saw it through the glass and got a little peeved as they knew I was looking for one and no one called me. Sorry I’m of no help at all, but kinda glad they didn’t call me now. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2022, 02:41 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,720 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Hopefully just some post sale paperwork snafu.

Regarding a “recall”, I’m only aware of two—conrod and suspension. The suspension wasn’t many cars, both well before your purchase.

Plenty of TSBs or Campaigns such as PDK reprogram…usually these don’t require tow to dealer.

Perhaps just using wrong terminology.

Good luck!
Old 10-23-2022, 03:26 PM
Shovell242
5th Gear

Originally Posted by String33
Was it the beautiful black one sitting in the showroom around that time? I know nothing at all about that car, but I stopped by on a Sunday and saw it through the glass and got a little peeved as they knew I was looking for one and no one called me. Sorry I’m of no help at all, but kinda glad they didn’t call me now. Good luck!
It wasn't, mine was Guards Red.
Old 10-23-2022, 03:27 PM
Shovell242
5th Gear

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Wrong process based on my experience (only one). The CPO process is 110 point checklist that should be done before delivery, I don’t know how they can do it without your car. Mine received new rear tires, and a major service before I picked it up, all on the dealers dime. I then relieved the checklist and I’m pretty sure I signed the extended warranty documents. I can also extend it again (3 times I believe) up to 10 years.

IMO they have not done the CPO at all.
That's helpful, thank you. I guess my only concern is that I now have a JCR exhaust on the car....
Old 10-23-2022, 04:02 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,720 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Pretty sure that 110 point checklist on a new 800 mile Spyder will be fine.

It’s the documentation and tow in that’d worry me.
Old 10-23-2022, 05:12 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,804 Likes on 986 Posts

Worst case could be over revs over the limit or accident history that made it a problem to CPO.

More than likely they didn't CPO it because CPO can require spending money on stuff that doesn't matter, including CPO certification even if it needs nothing. Might of had the wrong tires meaning they gotta dump 2g in rubber on it and they potentially wanted to see if it'd sell as non cpo, or CPO at POrsche could have a clock and they run it through the shop right before it's sold to prevent the clock running out before it's sold or it ran out it's clock sitting around waiting for top dollar. It could also have been waiting for a part to complete CPO that was back ordered and they weren't transparent with you.

If it passes I wouldn't worry, if they won't CPO it or keep delaying it hoping you go away asking about it, dig deeper into it's history. 800 miles sounds like it was a garage queen flip by someone who gets whatever GT car they want so it likely never saw track or any harsh treatment because they probably have something better to flog.
Old 10-24-2022, 01:08 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,387 Likes on 752 Posts

Possibly they don't want to pay Porsche for the certification

1-800- Porsche
Open a case. SA ignoring your contact is not good policy.

Last edited by John Mclane; 10-24-2022 at 01:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mc3456 (10-25-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 11:21 AM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 305 Posts

In my experience, dealers usually don't CPO cars with mileage that low. I've had the conversation with my dealer because other than my Spyder, I generally buy CPO. When they get something in that's recent, clean, low mileage, it's been a conversation of "Well OK if you actually want me to CPO it that's fine but that changes the price a little - you don't really need the CPO..." It's been explained as above - it's money the dealer has to spend on it when 99.9% chance it won't need anything, and most buyers will see it's still got 49,200 miles of New Vehicle Warranty left on it and thus wouldn't be willing to pay any additional markup to have the CPO certification.

IMO the CPO warranty is killer and if they told you it was CPO'd then I would absolutely hold them to it though.
Old 10-24-2022, 06:54 PM
bob78h
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

OP said the car was advertised as CPO when they purchased. I'm guessing the price was also higher as it usually is for a CPO car. Hopefully it was an honest mistake by the dealer and not them trying to make a few extra bucks.
The following users liked this post:
daaa nope (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 06:59 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 305 Posts

I agree - let's hope for an honest mistake.
Old 10-24-2022, 07:16 PM
Shovell242
5th Gear

Originally Posted by bob78h
OP said the car was advertised as CPO when they purchased. I'm guessing the price was also higher as it usually is for a CPO car. Hopefully it was an honest mistake by the dealer and not them trying to make a few extra bucks.
Exactly, that's my main concern. Car is going in tomorrow to complete the certification. So hopefully, I'll have a good update.
Old 10-24-2022, 10:58 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Sorry, whenever I hear Conshocken, all I think of is this…

Old 10-25-2022, 11:33 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,828 Likes on 888 Posts

I purchased a CPO car from that dealer before with no issues.

That being said, I purchased a CPO Lexus GX a few years back and my auto dimming headlights were not working well. I then noticed that there was a non-OEM windshield installed which is known to mess with the sensors. In addition, once the tire shine was washed off, I realized the tires were dry rotted and were not the OEM Michelin. I had the dealer swap both those out as they should have been caught in the CPO. Makes you wonder what else was missed. I had no other problems with that car besides the fact that it got 14 MPG.

Quick Reply: Issues with CPO documentation @ Porsche Conshocken