Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4RS driving / ownership impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 01:18 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,294 Posts
Default GT4RS driving / ownership impressions

Now that cars are finally getting delivered to customers (at least finally in the US), it seems we need a thread giving feedback to those of us wannabes about what owning and driving one of these unicorns is really like. Maybe some of this lives in other existing threads, but it isn't obvious (IMO), so I thought a dedicated thread made sense.

Let's hear it! What's it like to be the few, the proud, the 4RS owners?!

Popular Reply

10-21-2022, 12:30 AM
gtr
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

I'll keep it short since still breaking in.

1. I didn't expect such short gearing. Becuase of this in my mind I'm still thinking i'm driving a manual car since the car doesn't creep from park.and it look like a manual shifter LOL! I never expected the RPM running higher at highway speeds. Reminds me of 5 speed manual cars before the 6 speed back in the days. Just enough to notice it's just a tad highter than expected.
2. My standrad GT4 had super long gears and that engine feels like a normal engine. Now this problem is solved!
3. Wow, such induction noise and magnificent engine noise. I'm speachless ...the only car I've ever sat in that sounds better is the Carrera GT. This first time experience in this sound is as shocking as the first time you've driven a 997 GT3 with all that road feel.
4. I'm more impressed with this GT4RS and I like it better than my prior 991.2 GT3 Touring. Both cars are really special but I'd prefer mid engine with the mighty GT3 engine in the terrific GT4 to make it even better.
5. Front lower trim is long. I'm glad i got the front axle lift. No idea why it's not offered to the standrad GT4 for the people that wants it.
6. I sold my GT4 years ago but the car turn in quite sharp with the larger foot print or maybe sharper for some strange reason. Porsche knows what they are doing.

All in all the car reminds me of my motorcycle mainly due to the lighting quick PDK, short gearing, in combination with that intake sound. As silly as it sound this car is super special due to the intake sound. Any supercar collector needs to buy this. People buy Ferrari's for the sound and now they need to buy the GT4RS for the sound. The handling is just as impressive and expected but this sound thing is brand new to me. Now they need to do mid engine GT3 so we get this sound along with a better suspension and looks!
Old 10-20-2022, 01:58 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Spending most of the time avoiding all the "Luddites" and their never ending MT misery.
The following users liked this post:
lilbza (10-24-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 03:41 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 439 Likes on 256 Posts

I will not read this thread or any as they continue to develop

One, I cannot get an RS allocation . . . and, two, could not afford one even if I could get an allocation

I am just going to assume the RS is amazing and ignore the topic as I have over several months

Just thankful I even mustered to own a GT4

Avera
The following 9 users liked this post by Avera:
Adrift (10-20-2022), dnimi123 (10-24-2022), FazedChicken (10-21-2022), GentianGentleman (10-21-2022), Jayman13 (10-22-2022), Jevi Javi (10-20-2022), josephr25 (10-21-2022), rwm (10-20-2022), Unstock (10-20-2022) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-20-2022, 03:54 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,337 Likes on 757 Posts

I'd love to hear some perspective on the differences between that and the standard GT4. I'm sure a lot of owners had a GT4/Spyder before getting an RS.
Old 10-20-2022, 04:23 PM
6IXSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 282 Posts

I was fortunate enough to flog one around the Leipzig track last week, and the car is absolutely epic. The balance, sharpness, ease of changing direction, immediacy from the GT3 motor.. It's pure driving bliss, honestly. The induction sound is worth the price of admission alone, and makes for one of the most unique and special driving experiences money can buy at any price bracket.

Truly envious of those who are getting theirs! I know I'll be stealing the keys from my brother's incoming one as often as I can

Last edited by 6IXSPD; 10-20-2022 at 04:29 PM.
The following 9 users liked this post by 6IXSPD:
Adrift (10-20-2022), DFW01TT (10-20-2022), enduro (10-21-2022), Odin (10-22-2022), PorscheNut454 (10-22-2022), rwm (10-20-2022), UncleDude (10-20-2022), Unstock (10-20-2022), wizee (10-22-2022) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-20-2022, 08:39 PM
Unstock
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 211 Posts

My local dealership has 1 on the showroom floor. They just posted it 2 days ago on their FB. Not sure on price but I'm sure it well north of $350k, lol. I'll keep my Spyder
Old 10-20-2022, 08:52 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,337 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by 6IXSPD
I was fortunate enough to flog one around the Leipzig track last week, and the car is absolutely epic. The balance, sharpness, ease of changing direction, immediacy from the GT3 motor.. It's pure driving bliss, honestly. The induction sound is worth the price of admission alone, and makes for one of the most unique and special driving experiences money can buy at any price bracket.

Truly envious of those who are getting theirs! I know I'll be stealing the keys from my brother's incoming one as often as I can

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBfH6JfUx1U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNBRymwBWvY

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/aww3isOgC5I
I'll always be envious of people who can afford one but man to even be in close vicinity to one and have that owner be someone who is also close to you? It's literally the next best thing. I know if I won the lottery I would immediately try to find an allocation. For me the car is so much more desirable than a GT3.
The following 2 users liked this post by Xxyion:
6IXSPD (10-21-2022), Odin (10-22-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 09:36 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,434 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Originally Posted by 6IXSPD
That thing is ferocious!
The following users liked this post:
6IXSPD (10-21-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 09:56 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,804 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Spending most of the time avoiding all the "Luddites" and their never ending MT misery.
So you bought an Turbo Taycan or EQS?

Pretty sure if you own a NA engined chassis designed 2 decades ago with the bare minimum drivers aids allowed, new car or not, PDK or not, you're a neo-luddite lol. Especially if you ordered a model that didnt include advanced features like sound deadening and trim panels.
Old 10-20-2022, 10:08 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
So you bought an Turbo Taycan or EQS?

Pretty sure if you own a NA engined chassis designed 2 decades ago with the bare minimum drivers aids allowed, new car or not, PDK or not, you're a neo-luddite lol. Especially if you ordered a model that didnt include advanced features like sound deadening and trim panels.
Don't spill the beans for drifter or westie.
Old 10-21-2022, 12:30 AM
gtr
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

1. I didn't expect such short gearing. Becuase of this in my mind I'm still thinking i'm driving a manual car since the car doesn't creep from park.and it look like a manual shifter LOL! I never expected the RPM running higher at highway speeds. Reminds me of 5 speed manual cars before the 6 speed back in the days. Just enough to notice it's just a tad highter than expected.
2. My standrad GT4 had super long gears and that engine feels like a normal engine. Now this problem is solved!
3. Wow, such induction noise and magnificent engine noise. I'm speachless ...the only car I've ever sat in that sounds better is the Carrera GT. This first time experience in this sound is as shocking as the first time you've driven a 997 GT3 with all that road feel.
4. I'm more impressed with this GT4RS and I like it better than my prior 991.2 GT3 Touring. Both cars are really special but I'd prefer mid engine with the mighty GT3 engine in the terrific GT4 to make it even better.
5. Front lower trim is long. I'm glad i got the front axle lift. No idea why it's not offered to the standrad GT4 for the people that wants it.
6. I sold my GT4 years ago but the car turn in quite sharp with the larger foot print or maybe sharper for some strange reason. Porsche knows what they are doing.

All in all the car reminds me of my motorcycle mainly due to the lighting quick PDK, short gearing, in combination with that intake sound. As silly as it sound this car is super special due to the intake sound. Any supercar collector needs to buy this. People buy Ferrari's for the sound and now they need to buy the GT4RS for the sound. The handling is just as impressive and expected but this sound thing is brand new to me. Now they need to do mid engine GT3 so we get this sound along with a better suspension and looks!
The following 13 users liked this post by gtr:
6IXSPD (10-21-2022), DFW01TT (10-25-2022), drgav2005 (10-22-2022), electron mike (10-21-2022), enduro (10-21-2022), GoHardGT3RS (10-21-2022), JBM718GTS (10-21-2022), NiteCrawlr (10-21-2022), Odin (10-22-2022), rwm (10-21-2022), SB27 (10-25-2022), TexasPorschelover (10-21-2022), usctrojanGT3 (10-21-2022) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-21-2022, 09:11 AM
6IXSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by gtr

Congrats on receiving yours! Even from my brief seat time in the RS, I totally agree on the telepathically quick PDK shifts and much more closer gears. It really makes the car feel so alive and anxious to bolt from one corner to the next. And that sound...
Old 10-22-2022, 01:56 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,804 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
I'll always be envious of people who can afford one but man to even be in close vicinity to one and have that owner be someone who is also close to you? It's literally the next best thing. I know if I won the lottery I would immediately try to find an allocation. For me the car is so much more desirable than a GT3.
I'm sure that is what people say about GT4 owners. Seems like a normal car for me to own now but sometimes I realize there are only 20+ in my province of over 4 million.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:53 AM
Odin
Racer

Received 474 Likes on 196 Posts
Default Peak Porsche

After collection @viola_gt4rs just over 3 weeks ago, I must say this is peak Porsche. Peak ANYTHING for that matter, as no matter how much money you pay for ANY car, it’s boring compared to the GT4RS.

Driving 1340kms home over two days from the dealer, I realized this is completely different from ANYTHING out there. The LWBS are more comfortable to my body than the 18-w of my previous Taycan. The ride quality is of course more race car than Mercedes’ S-class, but I found even the SPORT suspension setting usable on our B-roads (no transverse joints around here), and the normal setting is absolutely fine for touring long distances. The noise in the cabin is made up from tyre noise and the intake, and with the exhaust in it’s normal setting, completely fine for touring. After half an hour I ditched the BOSE noise canceling head set and just marveled at the mechanical sounds of valves opening and closing produced, the slurping sounds of air being sucked in behind your neck and the incredible tones you could dish out via the positioning of your throttle pedal. It’s like playing an instrument. With the sport exhaust engaged (running in), there’s an annoying drone at moderate throttle levels overwhelming the cabin, so I preferred to Drive with sport exhaust off, since you then better hear what’s happening behind you. With the sport exhaust engaged you have to be on it and push through the 4000rpm drone barrier to get to the sounds you want.

After running in we’ve gotten the full 9000rpm experience and the YouTube videos can’t provide nothing of a he impression you get IRL. It’s just like having AC/DC playing a live concert 1 foot away. As much faster on track and a technological tour de force the new 992GT3RS for sure is, it won’t be anything close to the next level of hooliganism the GT4RS provides. A 992GT3 is just plain boring and very 1-dimensional in comparison.

In summary the GT4RS is very old school without tech that makes it clinically sterile to drive, albeit mated to a magical PDK transmission and the Porsche motorsport engine, making it best of both worlds, just how I like it.

This car is the end of the road as far as ICE cars are concerned.

Born in Flacht🏆

Last edited by Odin; 10-23-2022 at 04:58 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Odin:
Adrift (10-25-2022), ausgang (10-23-2022), DFW01TT (10-25-2022), jblaw (10-23-2022), Kermit_the_Frog (10-23-2022), KLCC 88 (10-24-2022), Turki GT4 RS (10-23-2022), UncleDude (10-23-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-23-2022, 01:19 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,505 Likes on 807 Posts

Anyone been able to drive a WP package car against a non-WP package car to see if there's truly a difference in cabin sound?

Quick Reply: GT4RS driving / ownership impressions