Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder: Wheel Offset

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 12:12 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Spyder: Wheel Offset

Hey guys. Should have asked this question rather sooner.

I've ordered a set of Forgeline GF3s. The rear offset matches the stock (ET50). However, the closest front offset Forgeline could make is ET59; stock is 61. So, off by -2mm. I was assured the fitment and handling would not be impacted by this deviation. Could you guys comment on this?

Here is the wheel, though some difference from the final finish (inner will be gloss black):

Forgeline GF3

Thanks.

Old 10-08-2022, 12:29 AM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,077 Likes on 472 Posts

I am assuming they are 8.5 inch wheels running OEM size tyres? That will be totally fine. Most aftermarket wheels have a +55 offset which is 6mm out from standard, those wheels usually want 2 degrees of camber to ensure there are no clearance issues.

Those 2mm shouldn't matter at all, even with a factory alignment.

Last edited by Reedy; 10-08-2022 at 12:32 AM.
Old 10-08-2022, 12:53 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Yes, rest of the specs, such as width, are stock; and, reusing stock tires. Forgeline does make custom offsets, as you might know. The only reason for this deviation is stepped lip outer which I wanted. Thanks, @Reedy .
Old 10-08-2022, 02:34 AM
Tay101
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Hey guys. Should have asked this question rather sooner.

I've ordered a set of Forgeline GF3s. The rear offset matches the stock (ET50). However, the closest front offset Forgeline could make is ET59; stock is 61. So, off by -2mm. I was assured the fitment and handling would not be impacted by this deviation. Could you guys comment on this?

Here is the wheel, though some difference from the final finish (inner will be gloss black):

Forgeline GF3

Thanks.
That is pretty conservative. Is there any reason you went with an 8.5" in the front? 20x9 ET50 would be my recommendation.

I would also recommend the GF3 Open Lug version. The deep pocket of the open lug center really elevates the wheel. You can add center caps with the Porsche logo for a more OEM look: https://forgeline.com/wheel/gf3-open-lug

Last edited by Tay101; 10-08-2022 at 02:36 AM.
Old 10-08-2022, 05:44 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

@Tay101 , I wanted to stay with the stock specs; so, didn't change a thing. Your suggestion on Open Lug is a good one. I did look at it. But, looked again now; I can see what you meant. Just sent a message to the dealer if the order can be changed to Open Lug. And, yes, I did spec Porsche Center Caps (black with colored crest). Thanks for the suggestions.

p.s. I see you're in San Diego. I'm planning to move there in a few years. The choice is most likely between San Diego (or, La Jolla) and Santa Barbara.

Old 10-08-2022, 08:02 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 801 Posts

The choice is most likely between San Diego (or, La Jolla) and Santa Barbara.
I'd do Leucadia or Solana. :-)
Old 10-08-2022, 08:38 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Hmmm, Leucadia and Solana Beach do look pretty cool, @SpyderSenseOC ! Thanks. Will definitely look deeper into these places. I'm an Argentine Tango dancer. San Diego and LA have very vibrant Tango communities. So, choosing a place between these cities would be ideal.
The following users liked this post:
SpyderSenseOC (10-08-2022)
Old 10-08-2022, 11:00 PM
Tay101
Rennlist Member

@Tay101 , I wanted to stay with the stock specs; so, didn't change a thing. Your suggestion on Open Lug is a good one. I did look at it. But, looked again now; I can see what you meant. Just sent a message to the dealer if the order can be changed to Open Lug. And, yes, I did spec Porsche Center Caps (black with colored crest). Thanks for the suggestions.

p.s. I see you're in San Diego. I'm planning to move there in a few years. The choice is most likely between San Diego (or, La Jolla) and Santa Barbara.
Hey the_rider,

I grew up in La Jolla and my mom grew up in Santa Barbara, so growing up I spent a lot of time in Santa Barbara and still visit two to three times a year. I will actually be going at the end of the month.

Santa Barbara is a lot smaller than San Diego, but I appreciate the smaller cities the older I get. I may prefer Santa Barbara. San Diego is growing and getting crowded. I don't like it and eventually will probably move to a small town like Sonoma or Santa Ynez.

Don't get me wrong, San Diego is great. The car scene is one of the best and there is so much to do. I am actually with SpyderSenseOC and like Leucadia, Solana Beach, Encinitas, or Rancho Santa Fe. I would choose one of those over La Jolla honestly. My parents and I live in La Jolla, but my wife and I tend to visit those areas over the weekend.
Old 10-09-2022, 01:25 AM
SlickxAC
Rennlist Member

Received 501 Likes on 164 Posts

I had Forgelines VX1R in 19x9+51 19x11+48 and they fit fine with 255/35 and 305/30. Front needed a little bit of camber, but nothing major. Currently running BBS LM's 19x8.5+50 19x11+50 and the front and rear are flush with the fenders.
Old 10-09-2022, 01:28 PM
Tay101
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SlickxAC
I had Forgelines VX1R in 19x9+51 19x11+48 and they fit fine with 255/35 and 305/30. Front needed a little bit of camber, but nothing major. Currently running BBS LM's 19x8.5+50 19x11+50 and the front and rear are flush with the fenders.
Hey SlickxAC,

I was checking out your IG and noticed you have a couple of Pekes. We have two of our own. My wife runs their IG page: @2_pekesinapod

I just started following you by the way. I'm @raceanddestroy
Old 10-09-2022, 10:59 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tay101
....... I may prefer Santa Barbara. San Diego is growing and getting crowded. I don't like it and eventually will probably move to a small town like Sonoma or Santa Ynez.

Don't get me wrong, San Diego is great. The car scene is one of the best and there is so much to do. I am actually with SpyderSenseOC and like Leucadia, Solana Beach, Encinitas, or Rancho Santa Fe. I would choose one of those over La Jolla honestly. ........
Great insights, @Tay101 . Thanks. Will definitely think and look through these cities. I might take a month or two long road trip to check out all these places before deciding, when I'm ready. I need to be part of an Argentine Tango community closely. That could take out some cities from contention. You've lived in some cool places by the way! :-)

Originally Posted by SlickxAC
I had Forgelines VX1R in 19x9+51 19x11+48 and they fit fine with 255/35 and 305/30. ........
Thanks, @SlickxAC . Sounds reassuring, since my specs are stock.

Old 10-10-2022, 01:11 AM
Tay101
Rennlist Member

Great insights, @Tay101 . Thanks. Will definitely think and look through these cities. I might take a month or two long road trip to check out all these places before deciding, when I'm ready. I need to be part of an Argentine Tango community closely. That could take out some cities from contention. You've lived in some cool places by the way! :-)

Thanks, @SlickxAC . Sounds reassuring, since my specs are stock.
If you end up coming to San Diego, let me know and I would be happy to show you around.
Old 10-10-2022, 11:48 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, @Tay101 . Appreciate it. I may end up choosing San Diego. I'm an avid inline speed skater as well. I skate outdoor and indoor; so, need at least one good indoor roller rink within 25-mile radius. And, yeah, roller skating is still a thing! And, need at least one MV Agusta dealer within 50-mile radius; or, a very good indie shop. My F4 is a proper Super Model; needs constant attention!! As you can see the pattern, I got "baggage" aka interests that tie me to reasonable sized cities. Will hit you up with questions as I get better visibility on my timeframe. Thanks again. cheers.
The following users liked this post:
Tay101 (10-10-2022)

Quick Reply: Spyder: Wheel Offset