Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4RS Black Rear Trunk Cover Part

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2023, 07:21 PM
aclicky
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil T
Bumping this for an update. Did a quick mod on this while changing out my air filters and luv the results. Painting or Plasti-Dip is not necessary and I definitely don't think the very thin piece of aluminum used is worth $300. I made the stickers in house and completed the look...YMMV........Phil

Nice! Just to confirm you only added the labels to the caps and nothing with the center piece?
Old 01-06-2023, 08:59 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Correct...just removed the aluminum and added the stickers....Phil
Old 01-06-2023, 09:58 PM
DreiPedals
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 67 Posts

I like how it came out and to me it looks much better under the glass on this car. I did somehow not realize there were all black filler lids that go with the rear finisher from the RS. So mine are still the OEM GT4 ones with the thin silver ring on them; to my eye it looks A.O.K. and will stay like this, at least for the next few months.

If/When I get a bug up my rear-end to do the strut cross bar, that's probably when I'll order the all black filler caps.

Last edited by DreiPedals; 01-06-2023 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-07-2023, 12:49 AM
bob78h
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by DreiPedals
I like how it came out and to me it looks much better under the glass on this car. I did somehow not realize there were all black filler lids that go with the rear finisher from the RS. So mine are still the OEM GT4 ones with the thin silver ring on them; to my eye it looks A.O.K. and will stay like this, at least for the next few months.

If/When I get a bug up my rear-end to do the strut cross bar, that's probably when I'll order the all black filler caps.

Looks great, so much better than the stock aluminum! This is definitely next on my mods list.
The following users liked this post:
DreiPedals (01-07-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 10:25 AM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Did you paint the entire piece or remove the aluminum? I like you am giving some thought to the rear strut bar Rear Strut Bar (RS Version) : Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories (suncoastparts.com) If I do this I will probably change my caps as well....Phil
Old 01-07-2023, 04:40 PM
DreiPedals
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bob78h
Looks great, so much better than the stock aluminum! This is definitely next on my mods list.
Thank you, I completely agree. Now, if I could only figure out what I did wrong re-installing the side pieces that's resulted in a tiny rattle, I'd be in business........ Need some warmer weather here before I start to really pry on any plastics to try to re-set the trims.

Originally Posted by Phil T
Did you paint the entire piece or remove the aluminum? I like you am giving some thought to the rear strut bar Rear Strut Bar (RS Version) : Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories (suncoastparts.com) If I do this I will probably change my caps as well....Phil
Phil, I think you're crossed up a bit here in the thread. I did the OEM part from the 718 RS, the person who posted above me is the one who seemingly peeled off the aluminum applique and painted/wrapped it darker.

I decided to buy OEM instead of paint or wrap the silver one just to preserve all original parts on the car. I've done this on prior enthusiast cars and it always proved to be the correct decision when I eventually sold them. Adding in, I came from the BMW world where a running joke revolves around the 'M-Tax', and most in the community also tell tales of the even worse 'Porsche-Tax' as respects aftermarket or non-stock OEM parts. That being said, at ~$300, I was shocked how relatively cheap the OEM part was, and it became a no brainer to me as I already decided that the big silver piece needed to change one way or another.
Old 01-07-2023, 09:39 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Phil, I think you're crossed up a bit here in the thread. I did the OEM part from the 718 RS, the person who posted above me is the one who seemingly peeled off the aluminum applique and painted/wrapped it darker.

I decided to buy OEM instead of paint or wrap the silver one just to preserve all original parts on the car. I've done this on prior enthusiast cars and it always proved to be the correct decision when I eventually sold them. Adding in, I came from the BMW world where a running joke revolves around the 'M-Tax', and most in the community also tell tales of the even worse 'Porsche-Tax' as respects aftermarket or non-stock OEM parts. That being said, at ~$300, I was shocked how relatively cheap the OEM part was, and it became a no brainer to me as I already decided that the big silver piece needed to change one way or another.
Gotcha....I didn't realize you swapped out the entire piece. Laugh at your ///M tax comment....I spent 19 yrs in that world. Last was a E92 with almost every Dinan bolt on you could buy. Probably would've been cheaper to just buy the stroker motor...hahahaha....Phil
Old 01-17-2023, 07:08 AM
LWG
Burning Brakes

Received 635 Likes on 234 Posts

I was poking around as I am about to order the darker center trim piece.

I took off the caps and wanted to see if the silver trim piece pops out. Sure enough it does! It all snaps in together. I plan to paint them but to most people, just removing the chrome trim ring should suffice!

The following users liked this post:
DR.S (01-17-2023)
Old 04-19-2024, 08:42 PM
Kelsey
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Circling back. So has anyone ordered this from another vendor other than Suncoast? Just wondering if the part number fits the 981 GT4?
Thanks

Quick Reply: GT4RS Black Rear Trunk Cover Part