Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

PDK Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 02:11 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

What you are describing was initially called PDK-S (for sport). It was introduced in the 991 GT3 and has been used in every PDK equipped GT car since then.
Much better programming than the standard PDK, which is brilliant.
So yes, it's normal.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr.Bill:
Avera (10-03-2022), JAhmed (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 06:39 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,142 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
He may attack randomly and often, but there is also often good info attached. I think he's the buckleys cough syrup of forums
Great analogy. Abrasiveness isn't necessarily bad; there's a pretty distinguishable line between abrasiveness and toxicity. Leads to some spirited discussions; we can't all be nice all the time (maybe some can but not all of us).

Put it this way- I talk MAD **** to my brother, all the time. But I also give him sage advice and call him out when he needs it. He still calls me every single day lol.

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
What you are describing was initially called PDK-S (for sport). It was introduced in the 991 GT3 and has been used in every PDK equipped GT car since then.
Much better programming than the standard PDK, which is brilliant.
So yes, it's normal.
I did not know this, and now am finally feeling a bit of the "GT car envy" that I've otherwise successfully avoided for years. Transmission tuning can make or break the experience in a non-manual car, auto or dual-clutch... and to be perfectly honest, I'm not the biggest fan of the PDK tuning in my 718 GTS (2.5), and was hoping it was better in the incoming GTS 4.0. I think the main gripe I have with it is the initial "creep" is what I guess we're calling it... it just doesn't feel refined taking off from a stop. This also might have something to do with the strange lopey idle of the flat 4 engine (and uninspiring sound, especially below ~3500 rpm), but it's just always irked me just a bit. It's not terrible and the tuning is pretty great in all modes aside from this, but I was hoping for a better feel. My personal benchmark for an automatic transmission is the B9.5 RS5, but even that one had issues driving at full tilt because it was a true automatic... but overall, best auto trans I've driven.

FWIW the PDK tuning in my wife's 95B.2 Macan S is abysmal. Taking off is "ok", but the tuning in Sports mode is pure trash, and has been since I bought it new. It's now got 20k miles on it and I'm REALLY hoping the PDK tuning in the 95.B GTS is as good as reviewers say it is (hoping to match or beat the feel of the RS5, as it's the same engine...)

Back to the GT cars, I suppose in traffic the "creep" is beneficial... but I'm sure I'd get used to not having it. Maybe there's a compromise in the non-GT cars where it's assumed they'll be spending far more time in traffic than GT cars? It can't cost any more to distribute the "GT car tune" than the "non GT car tune"... and also I'm assuming the aftermarket can resolve some of this?

Last edited by manifold danger; 10-03-2022 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:51 AM
ICNU
Pro

Received 415 Likes on 249 Posts

Yes, the Cobb PDK tune has the option to remove the PDK creep in non GT cars. That change is also packaged along with reversal of the shift direction when using the center console shifter like the 911 GT cars (pull back to go up in gears) as well as make the double paddle pull neutral mode also work like the GT3. GT cars go into neutral when you pull back both paddles and hold, then drops back into gear when you release. Non GT cars are a "click on click off" of both paddles to go in and out of neutral.

You can do this with the GT car paddle neutral method:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/30044/...che-911-gt3-rs
Old 10-03-2022, 12:45 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 441 Likes on 256 Posts

So, bear with me, as I thought I had this figured out, but now question my understanding

I have not had my 718 GTS PDK for about two years, but my recollection is that it worked precisely the same as my 718 GT4

Namely, in manual mode, GTS did not creep forward and it rolled back when at a stop on inclines. I have never tapped the paddles to throw it into neutral, as I never even use the paddles (only the shifter)

I rarely used automatic mode in my GTS and probably even less so in my GT4. I could be mistaken, but do not recall either creeping forward or rolling back in automatic mode?

So, I do not understand the difference between GT and non-GT PDK? My GTS and GT4 PDK SEEM to work exactly the same.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Avera

Old 10-03-2022, 01:00 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,540 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by Avera
So, bear with me, as I thought I had this figured out, but now question my understanding

I have not had my 718 GTS PDK for about two years, but my recollection is that it worked precisely the same as my 718 GT4

Namely, in manual mode, GTS did not creep forward and it rolled back when at a stop on inclines. I have never tapped the paddles to throw it into neutral, as I never even use the paddles (only the shifter)

I rarely used automatic mode in my GTS and probably even less so in my GT4. I could be mistaken, but do not recall either creeping forward or rolling back in automatic mode?

So, I do not understand the difference between GT and non-GT PDK? My GTS and GT4 PDK SEEM to work exactly the same.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Avera
I think that's where the confusion lies. I believe OP is specifically talking about Automatic mode. I mean hell my Veloster N DCT in manual mode doesn't creep forward and so I think that is really the common characteristic of a DCT. However how the PDK acts in Automatic mode is where the difference may lie.
The following users liked this post:
Avera (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 01:27 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 441 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
I think that's where the confusion lies. I believe OP is specifically talking about Automatic mode. I mean hell my Veloster N DCT in manual mode doesn't creep forward and so I think that is really the common characteristic of a DCT. However how the PDK acts in Automatic mode is where the difference may lie.
Gotcha, thank you for the clarification @Xxyion

Since I have rarely ever used PDK automatic mode, my recollection on its behavior between the GTS and GT4 could be mistaken

So, with specific regard to automatic mode, GT cars do not creep and will roll back, while non-GT cars will creep and will not roll back

Manual modes function the same between GT and non-GT cars with respect to creep and roll back

Is my understanding correct?

Avera
Old 10-03-2022, 01:49 PM
nineball
Burning Brakes

Received 363 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by ICNU
Yes, the Cobb PDK tune has the option to remove the PDK creep in non GT cars. That change is also packaged along with reversal of the shift direction when using the center console shifter like the 911 GT cars (pull back to go up in gears) as well as make the double paddle pull neutral mode also work like the GT3. GT cars go into neutral when you pull back both paddles and hold, then drops back into gear when you release.
you sure about that? on my 2017 718 S w/ PDK i have both the double pull for neutral and it shifts as you describe in "manual" mode (back to go up a gear), no tuning at all.
The following 2 users liked this post by nineball:
Avera (10-03-2022), X2Board (10-05-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 03:04 PM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by s4r
I just got a 2021 GT4 with PDK transmission. I have had a 2017 991.2 GTS also with PDK since it was new. The 991.2 transmission acted like a normal auto when not driving. The transmission always felt "engaged" in D and R. Take your foot off the brake in D and it might creep forward a little bit. On the GT4 trans, it seems more like a normal clutch type. When at a standstill, there is no movement forward and it seems to need a brisk step on the gas to get moving. Not really a problem - just different from the 911.

Those of you with PDK - how "engaged is the trans? On a slight incline, with it in D, will it roll backward?
in my 21 GT4 PDK, the car rolls like it’s a manual, it’s a lot of fun, lol. It only locks when the incline is decent.
Old 10-03-2022, 04:31 PM
ICNU
Pro

Received 415 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by nineball
you sure about that? on my 2017 718 S w/ PDK i have both the double pull for neutral and it shifts as you describe in "manual" mode (back to go up a gear), no tuning at all.
They must’ve changed the logic on the 718 model then, because a 981 creeps even in full manual mode. This has nothing to do whether using auto or manual mode.

And using the center console lever is forward to go up a gear and pull back to go down in gear.

Cobb would have no reason to offer this change in their tune, if the 981 models already worked that way

That could explain why there is so much confusion and different experiences in this discussion if everyone is assuming that their current model works the same as everyone else’s

manifold danger (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 08:37 PM
s4r
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well thanks for all of the answers and discussion. Seems that the GT cars, when in automatic mode, don't creep and the transmission feels like it is in neutral when stopped. I feel better now..
Old 10-03-2022, 09:24 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Edit: Thanks to TXShaggy's correction - the following is only on the non-GT models. See more details on the next two posts.

Here's some more clarifications regarding rolling backwards with the PDK when stopped.
- The PDK's hill hold only comes into play when the incline is 5 degrees or greater and only after the vehicle comes to a full stop with the brakes applied.
- Hill hold can be forced to activate regardless of the angle by "quickly flooring the pressed brake pedal while the vehicle is stationary" (quoted from the Good-To-Know app)
- There is a HOLD light that activates on the speedometer gauge if you aren't sure if it has engaged.

Last edited by StormRune; 10-03-2022 at 11:53 PM.
Avera (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 10:52 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Here's some more clarifications regarding rolling backwards with the PDK when stopped.
- The PDK's hill hold only comes into play when the incline is 5 degrees or greater and only after the vehicle comes to a full stop with the brakes applied.
- Hill hold can be forced to activate regardless of the angle by "quickly flooring the pressed brake pedal while the vehicle is stationary" (quoted from the Good-To-Know app)
- There is a HOLD light that activates on the speedometer gauge if you aren't sure if it has engaged.
Storm, none of that applies to the GT cars.

Hold works on GTS and below. GT cars have Drive Off Assist, Hold light will never illuminate.

There is no GTK app for 718 GT cars, although there is some general good stuff that applies to all 718s.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:50 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Storm, none of that applies to the GT cars.

Hold works on GTS and below. GT cars have Drive Off Assist, Hold light will never illuminate.

There is no GTK app for 718 GT cars, although there is some general good stuff that applies to all 718s.
Well, Doh! That's Good To Know . I guess I misremembered some of that from my prior C2S. Thank you for the gentle and polite correction!

So, I just went out for a short drive on the hills nearby and double-checked. On my GT4 I do get a brief hill-hold on steeper uphill angles but it releases after about 1 to 2 seconds. It seemed to be only ones that probably exceeded 5 degrees. It appears to be called "Drive Off Assist".

But you're right, I never see a hold light and the hard/quick press doesn't cause a hold on more gentle rises.

Last edited by StormRune; 10-04-2022 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:11 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Well, Doh! That's Good To Know . I guess I misremembered some of that from my prior C2S. Thank you for the gentle and polite correction!

So, I just went out for a short drive on the hills nearby and double-checked. On my GT4 I do get a brief hill-hold on steeper uphill angles but it releases after about 1 to 2 seconds. It seemed to be only ones that probably exceeded 5 degrees. It appears to be called "Drive Off Assist".

But you're right, I never see a hold light and the hard/quick press doesn't cause a hold on more gentle rises.
Yeah, that all checks. Tried out “Hold” when I got my Spyder and no bueno.

It’s been an ongoing discussion for a couple years.

Check out the thread a few down.

Routine confusion in here between GT and GTS equipment/options.

I don’t mind Drive Off Assist, it’d be better if there was a light to let you know to be patient.
StormRune (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 06:24 PM
nineball
Burning Brakes

Received 363 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by ICNU
They must’ve changed the logic on the 718 model then, because a 981 creeps even in full manual mode. This has nothing to do whether using auto or manual mode.

And using the center console lever is forward to go up a gear and pull back to go down in gear.

Cobb would have no reason to offer this change in their tune, if the 981 models already worked that way

That could explain why there is so much confusion and different experiences in this discussion if everyone is assuming that their current model works the same as everyone else’s
i have no experience personally with the cobb tune however based on their website neither of the tunes for the 718 contain any changes for the pdk. in fact i don't see a single change for the pdk anywhere on their site for the 718 line.

Quick Reply: PDK Question