Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package - That's my build description

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 02:16 PM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Received 206 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package - That's my build description

So, for the Spyder and GT4, we get the 18 way seats with all the functions, but obviously, the memory does not function due to 1) the door straps as well as 2) no space for the memory seat physical buttons in the door as a result.

But.... Just wondering if there is any way to use the available buttons on the center counsel for these functions, and wire up the seats? Anyone ever think about this idea or even try it? It looks like there are three free spaces in the center counsel:

Last edited by Ken in San Diego; 09-23-2022 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-23-2022, 02:59 PM
Josh_357
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 184 Posts

Possible, maybe. Easy, no!

Those center buttons are sending LIN bus signals to the front A/C Module, that then communicates through CAN bus to the Gateway Module. I suspect the normal memory buttons comm in LIN bus into the Comfort Module that then comms to Gateway through CAN bus. With tons of custom coding and reflashing of modules, maybe you can do it. Likely easier ways.
The following users liked this post:
Ken in San Diego (09-23-2022)
Old 09-23-2022, 03:10 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,827 Likes on 997 Posts

In theory with global platform production of making production easy for all regions/options there is a chance this is somewhat easy.

Does every car get the seat memory module? My guess is 50/50. It might be standalone or it might be built into another common module. Finding out that would be step 1.
Does every car get the harness with the wiring to the door? Likely. Often cars all get one harness, or there is only 2 or maybe at most 3 different options for a harness which often is based on date more so than options packs. I'd be surprised if the harness didn't have the right wiring on it but it would be somethign that needs to be verified.

If the car has the module already, and the harness already it should just be a matter of extending the wiring to wherever you want htem, buying extra buttons you need for the center console, wiring it up, and potentially then the hard part becomes activating the option in the computer as it potentially is disabled. On a bmw activating disabled options is generally pretty easy as there are apps that give you access to enable or disable stuff, but on a Porsche that could be a nightmare. You'd need to look into if anyone has messed around wiht that stuff and made it available or user friendly to work with.

We know there are companies that have messed with stuff already to change how stuff is config'ed so possibly asking them directly if it's doable wouldn't hurt.

Last edited by Zhao; 09-23-2022 at 03:19 PM.
Ken in San Diego (09-23-2022)
Old 09-23-2022, 03:33 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Originally Posted by Josh_357
Possible, maybe. Easy, no!

Those center buttons are sending LIN bus signals to the front A/C Module, that then communicates through CAN bus to the Gateway Module. I suspect the normal memory buttons comm in LIN bus into the Comfort Module that then comms to Gateway through CAN bus. With tons of custom coding and reflashing of modules, maybe you can do it. Likely easier ways.
I think OP would be talking about pushing out those dummy buttons and buying new extra buttons and getting those working direct to the OE harness for the seat memory? I have seen people with other cars do that before for various reasons, either activating options or relocating buttons or combining a bunch of buttons into one.
Old 09-23-2022, 04:00 PM
Josh_357
Racer

Originally Posted by Zhao
I think OP would be talking about pushing out those dummy buttons and buying new extra buttons and getting those working direct to the OE harness for the seat memory? I have seen people with other cars do that before for various reasons, either activating options or relocating buttons or combining a bunch of buttons into one.
Yep, that's what I'm referring to. Those buttons send LIN bus signals to other modules to denote button status. Buttons do not toggle voltage anymore they send button statuses in code. See a diagram from a PSE thread. Those that repurpose then add physical switched inside the module, to control other things.

The following 5 users liked this post by Josh_357:
AlexCeres (09-25-2022), jimdillard (09-25-2022), Ken in San Diego (09-23-2022), Larry Cable (09-25-2022), Zhao (09-23-2022)
Old 09-23-2022, 04:34 PM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Thanks everyone for your perspective and information. Seems worth exploring with a Porsche dealer. If all the wiring and memory modular is already in place, seems “doable”.

Last edited by Ken in San Diego; 09-23-2022 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-23-2022, 04:35 PM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Originally Posted by Zhao
wow, that’s interesting. Combining functions into a single button.
Old 09-23-2022, 05:03 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Very interesting, that diagram explains a lot. I was definitely outdated on how buttons work. That means that center console buttons are likely one big closed unit pack then so it won't be like older cars where you can push blanks out and add buttons. That rules out adding buttons, and sounds like it also rules out buying the door switch and retrofitting a solution in the center console using that.

The only 'maybe simple' option sounds like buying the door switch + door harness if it's different and converting to handles if the rest of the car is the same, and someone is able to turn that option on or update the module that controls it.
Old 09-25-2022, 01:49 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,044 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken in San Diego
Thanks everyone for your perspective and information. Seems worth exploring with a Porsche dealer. If all the wiring and memory modular is already in place, seems “doable”.
My guess is a dealer will not convert the console button to work as a door button. PAG will most likely frown upon this type of mod.

I heard of dealer programming PSP off, changing exhaust….etc.

What you desire I think they won’t touch. You will need to seek out an indie for this type of mod.

JMHO.
Larry Cable (09-25-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 11:27 PM
Josh_357
Racer

This is not something you can do with a PIWIS.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package - That's my build description