Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Is this a good PPF install?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 07:40 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,138 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
Honestly for me doing the whole car is more to appease my own OCD more than anything. Originally I was going to just do full front plus rockers and sides. Then then I was thinking that I'd notice the difference between panels that are PPF'd versus panels that arent and then thinking about the unwrapped panels suffering from swirls and scratches...it just nicked me in the worst way. So I'm getting the full car wrapped just so I have consistency across the whole car.
And that makes sense, and I'm sure it will provide peace of mind and lessen anxiety... until you factor in anxiety caused by cost. For clear plastic (that I've also had rocks rip right through). Just the difference between full front and full car is halfway to a Kline inconel system including OAP... and like I said before- I make a good living, but most certainly am not rich.

It's just too damn much money for me to justify based on OCD, and I am very good at taking care of non-PPF'd paint... but I'll wait and see what my actual quote is. It has to be less on a Boxster... if it's below $6k at this installer I'll probably do it. I've seen their work and it's acceptable to me, but that's why I'm expecting it to be closer to $10k, in which case I can think of dozens of other things I'd rather waste money on.

It is just another one of those things that's worth it to some people, and isn't to others.
The following users liked this post:
Xxyion (09-22-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 07:53 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,263 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger

It is just another one of those things that's worth it to some people, and isn't to others.
Very true. I don't plan on getting an exhaust as for me I can't justify 6k just for a sound change. The stock exhaust sounds good enough for me and I'm past the point where I want a loud exhaust in my car. If I can hear it, then that's all I need. Don't need it to scream.
The following 2 users liked this post by Xxyion:
Big Belly 711 (12-07-2022), manifold danger (09-23-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 09:59 PM
Wurmzz
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bob78h
Hi all,
I just had full body PPF installed on my GT4 from a highly recommended local installer. The installer said it was a 100% custom install with bulk film. They wrapped edges as much as possible without doing much disassembly...
Hey bob78h, sorry to hear your PPF install didn't go so well. Would you mind PMing me the installer you used? I'm also looking around the Bay Area for a good installer right now and want to know which ones to avoid.

Thank you
Old 12-07-2022, 12:28 AM
Wei718
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Wurmzz
Hey bob78h, sorry to hear your PPF install didn't go so well. Would you mind PMing me the installer you used? I'm also looking around the Bay Area for a good installer right now and want to know which ones to avoid.

Thank you
Check out Werkshop in Burlingame
Wurmzz (12-07-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 12:44 AM
cybers3c
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Wurmzz

Thank you
Just PM’d you the place I used, fyi.
Wurmzz (12-07-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 02:44 AM
DerekHK
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

Somehow I would imagine installers in Japan would do a better job than that. I'm quite surprised indeed! @NCheok

Last edited by DerekHK; 12-07-2022 at 02:46 AM.
Old 12-07-2022, 04:35 AM
bob78h
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

To update, I was able to reach a resolution with the installer (thanks everyone for the advice!). The biggest sore spot for me was the gap around the headlights, since that was visible from several feet away. They redid the front bumper and it is a significant improvement, the edge goes right up to the headlight now. I will have to live with the gaps at the other edges (e.g. door trim) but you have to look really closely to see those, and it is essentially within reasonable standards.

I won't name the installer because I do think they are one of the better ones in the industry, and I think they just had an off day or maybe rushed when they did my car originally. But definitely this was a learning experience for me, and I'll be a lot better prepared the next time I need PPF done.

Biggest takeaways for me:
  • I am probably pickier than many with regards to attention to detail, but at the end of the day it's a business for PPF installers. They do a lot of high end cars, and while you expect good work, I think expecting 100% perfection in every area is just not reasonable. Like if I was able to do my own PPF, I'd probably redo every panel until it was perfect, but obviously you can't expect a business do the same.
  • Definitely visit the PPF shop before committing, see work they have done in person. If you are OCD like me, make sure the installer walks you through every panel and shows you where the visible seams will be. Make sure you are aligned on expectations. For example, I think if I had mentioned that I wanted all of the edge gaps minimized, they could have paid extra attention to that during the install. But of course afterwards, it isn't really reasonable to expect them to redo a bunch of panels that are technically within industry standard.
  • Pick a local installer if possible. It's a lot easier for them to fix issues if they aren't on a tight schedule/losing other business in the process.
  • There are definite limitations to installing without removing parts like door handles and trim. At the end of the day PPF is to protect the paint, so it is never going to be completely invisible. So don't expect that. I know some people say that they can't see any edges on their install, but honestly, they probably aren't looking closely enough to notice it.
The following 2 users liked this post by bob78h:
Itzkirb (12-07-2022), manifold danger (12-07-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 07:06 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,138 Likes on 641 Posts

To update, I was able to reach a resolution with the installer (thanks everyone for the advice!). The biggest sore spot for me was the gap around the headlights, since that was visible from several feet away. They redid the front bumper and it is a significant improvement, the edge goes right up to the headlight now. I will have to live with the gaps at the other edges (e.g. door trim) but you have to look really closely to see those, and it is essentially within reasonable standards.

I won't name the installer because I do think they are one of the better ones in the industry, and I think they just had an off day or maybe rushed when they did my car originally. But definitely this was a learning experience for me, and I'll be a lot better prepared the next time I need PPF done.

Biggest takeaways for me:
  • I am probably pickier than many with regards to attention to detail, but at the end of the day it's a business for PPF installers. They do a lot of high end cars, and while you expect good work, I think expecting 100% perfection in every area is just not reasonable. Like if I was able to do my own PPF, I'd probably redo every panel until it was perfect, but obviously you can't expect a business do the same.
  • Definitely visit the PPF shop before committing, see work they have done in person. If you are OCD like me, make sure the installer walks you through every panel and shows you where the visible seams will be. Make sure you are aligned on expectations. For example, I think if I had mentioned that I wanted all of the edge gaps minimized, they could have paid extra attention to that during the install. But of course afterwards, it isn't really reasonable to expect them to redo a bunch of panels that are technically within industry standard.
  • Pick a local installer if possible. It's a lot easier for them to fix issues if they aren't on a tight schedule/losing other business in the process.
  • There are definite limitations to installing without removing parts like door handles and trim. At the end of the day PPF is to protect the paint, so it is never going to be completely invisible. So don't expect that. I know some people say that they can't see any edges on their install, but honestly, they probably aren't looking closely enough to notice it.
End of the day, the PPF is for peace of mind. The only person that notices these "defects" is the owner 99% of the time. If you have to get 6 inches away actively looking to see the edge of the film, seriously no one cares but you. Sometimes it's tough to remember that when we pay so much for this stuff.

That said I have a literal hair under the film. (!) I will have the installer fix that, but at least it's in an inconspicuous spot. But I know where it is lol. Another benefit to having a local installer.

Last edited by manifold danger; 12-07-2022 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:29 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,027 Likes on 550 Posts

One of the benefits of getting old is you tend to not sweat the little stuff. I have become much more mellow as I age. I went thru the stage where I am aware of every little paint imperfection when I wash the car.

Your eyes start to go, your back start to go. I used to hand wash my cars and swap winter wheels myself. No way I am doing this now.

Hence mine is naked. I don’t go looking for imperfections. I don’t mind if the paint is not perfect.

Out of sight, out of mind.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dyim:
Dr.Bill (12-07-2022), kwikit356 (12-07-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 10:54 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,067 Posts

To update, I was able to reach a resolution with the installer (thanks everyone for the advice!).
Awesome, car looks great! Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Is this a good PPF install?