Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Is this a good PPF install?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2022 | 09:45 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

It’s better than my Boxster’s, but yeah not perfect. My 911 and my Boxster are perfect examples of dos and don’ts as far as PPF is concerned. I plan to take the Boxster to the shop that did the 911 and see if I can get a warranty claim to replacement.
Old 09-15-2022 | 09:55 AM
Clark_Kent
Racer

These PPF jobs tend to be imperfect from an exposed edges perspective unless you go to an installer that disassembles the car. I've had several vehicles over the years with PPF installed by various reputable installers and I've never been blown away with the quality. There are almost always areas of the job that can be tightened up and I've had many installers redo some areas because they did not meet my standard of quality. I've also found that going on word of mouth isn't always the best form of due diligence when searching for an installer because some folks simply don't know what a high quality PPF job looks like. The best is when these installers post up a bunch of photos on IG. Unless they're showing close ups of typical "problem" areas to demonstrate how well they lay the film, they're really just showing off nice cars they've had come through the shop. And the thought most people have is: "They do a bunch of exotics! Surely they will have no issue wrapping my lowly (insert your car)." The truth is, many of these installers wrap a high volume of exotic cars.

Your best bet is to arrange to swing by the shop and see the installer's work first hand on different vehicles and your exact vehicle, if possible. Ask about their overall approach to wrapping the car, how do they care for wrapping edges, ask if they disassemble areas of the car for the best fit, etc.

For some of the areas you photographed, I would explain to them the issue you have with it and request they redo the install. When you pay for a product or service, you need to be comfortable with the end product and the dealer should go to lengths to make their clients happy provided they're being reasonable.
The following users liked this post:
RAGT4P (09-19-2022)
Old 09-15-2022 | 12:32 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

I would start with did you ask them about how they would install the film on your car? Did you ask them if they're using pre-cut? Did you ask them if edges would be visible? I guess what I'm getting at is before you go back and complain, did you and the business clarify the scope of work expected from your end and did they clarify the scope of work promised on their end?

IMO, $7k for that quality work is very expensive but at the same time, I'm sure the Bay Area is charging more than say somewhere in Nebraska for this kind of work. I'm sorry it came out like that but I would grade the work a C and definitely not something I would accept if I was promised better.
Old 09-15-2022 | 12:58 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by bob78h
It was $7.5k. I think that is on the lower end for the Bay Area? The highest quote I got from other shops in the area was $12k.

I believe they only removed the tail lights, splitter, and badges. So I wasn't necessarily expecting a crazy good, completely invisible job, but it would be nice for the gaps at the edges to be less noticeable.
would you mind PMing me the name of the installer? I have a guy I'm planning to go to in the Bay Area as well and he quoted me a similar price that you paid. If its the same guy that did your job I might rethink going to him. Personally for me (as others have said) its about a B- C+ job at best. The cuts around the edges should be a lot more flush and a job like this would bother the hell out of me especially paying that kind of money.
Old 09-15-2022 | 01:06 PM
Lucifer
Burning Brakes

It was $7.5k. I think that is on the lower end for the Bay Area? The highest quote I got from other shops in the area was $12k.

I believe they only removed the tail lights, splitter, and badges. So I wasn't necessarily expecting a crazy good, completely invisible job, but it would be nice for the gaps at the edges to be less noticeable.
Talking from bad experience - installation like this is a waste of money as every panel where the end of the wrap is exposed will eventually lift by the dust getting underneath it.
Old 09-15-2022 | 01:11 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by danielzy
Talking from bad experience - installation like this is a waste of money as every panel where the end of the wrap is exposed will eventually lift by the dust getting underneath it.
I highly doubt that every install like this will eventually lift. I've had a pre cut kit applied to my GT4 since 2016 which has basically every panel exposed and not a single one has lifted.
rubber_ducky (09-15-2022)
Old 09-15-2022 | 01:23 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

You're not being picky, that's not a very good install.

Last edited by Itzkirb; 09-15-2022 at 01:24 PM.
Dana R (09-16-2022)
Old 09-15-2022 | 01:26 PM
smilin
Rennlist Member

lots of good input above. take it back and talk through your concerns and remediation alternatives. i’d be disappointed too. C- job. exposed edges is one thing, but crooked/uneven lines is another. i paid less (sacramento) for full wrap w disassembly, ceramic coat and window tint.
Old 09-15-2022 | 02:13 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cooler2442
I highly doubt that every install like this will eventually lift. I've had a pre cut kit applied to my GT4 since 2016 which has basically every panel exposed and not a single one has lifted.
i agree with this. I had partial hood and roof applications where edges are obviously not tucked and I’ve never had a problem with either dust getting underneath or any lifting. This on cars that are parked outdoors.

if having exposed edges was a problem, the vast majority of precut kits (which is the vast majority of all installs) would suffer from peeling.
Old 09-15-2022 | 02:13 PM
bob78h
Instructor

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
I would start with did you ask them about how they would install the film on your car? Did you ask them if they're using pre-cut? Did you ask them if edges would be visible? I guess what I'm getting at is before you go back and complain, did you and the business clarify the scope of work expected from your end and did they clarify the scope of work promised on their end?

IMO, $7k for that quality work is very expensive but at the same time, I'm sure the Bay Area is charging more than say somewhere in Nebraska for this kind of work. I'm sorry it came out like that but I would grade the work a C and definitely not something I would accept if I was promised better.
Yes, they said it would be a full custom install and they would wrap edges where possible. Since they weren't disassembling headlights or doors, I expected some visible edges. To be honest I think I would be happy with the exposed edges, IF they actually reached the edge of the panel. But I think having a gap at the edge of the panel is subpar, and it sounds like others agree that this is a reasonable assessment.

I guess we didn't explicitly discuss "edges reach the edge of the panels" but I just assumed this was standard practice...
Old 09-15-2022 | 04:05 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

......Did they do a lot of disassembly on your car? That looks really good. I guess I shouldn't expect that level of work without paying top dollar......
The only parts that they removed when installing PPF were the Hood emblem and the Gas door.....

Before I selected this shop, I went and visited 2 shops in person to examine their work then talked with them about where I would like the seams to be hidden. One of these shops was happy to work with me so they earned my business. I paid less than $5K Canadian funny money for the PPF'ing the whole car minus the upper rear bumper (windshield extra). Their price was above average around my area. Another popular shop for Porsche was quoting $1K more for the same job. They also use my car to make a promotional video when they put STEK dynoflex on my windshield which I didn't mind.

Door Cup - they hide the seams at the bottom of the cup so I can't see it without bending down and looking up.

Satellite Antenna

Old 09-15-2022 | 04:20 PM
unclemat
Pro

Poor job, demand better.
Old 09-15-2022 | 05:44 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dana R
I think that's an unacceptable job, no matter the price. I paid $2k in the Boston area for a full front job (full hood and fenders and bumper), and the work was A+.
Who did you use?
Old 09-15-2022 | 05:50 PM
SlickxAC
Rennlist Member

Poor job IMO. All my PPF is to the edge or wrapped around. As for the antenna that is a really bad cut.
Old 09-15-2022 | 06:07 PM
Zhao
Drifting

This makes me want to open a PPF shop in the bay area. You guys are absolutely getting hosed there. I don't think htat is a bad job, but if a shop charged 7500 USD for that where I am it would end in a lawsuit I'm sure. I paid 1500 cad for most of the car (didn't do hatch, rear bumper, 1/4s or doors. Wrapped edges in some place where it matters like hood and fenders but no disassembly) and it was a better job than what OP got.

I don't see how you guys in SF can handle paying 7500-12g for that. It's like $300 in material and 20 hours in labour. I call BS on it having anything to do with cost of living there too; they're just charging that because they can.

P.S. whatever shop did lowbee's deserves an A+. I'd say that was worth 4xxx or whatever you paid.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zhao:
Dana R (09-16-2022), MrFunk (09-22-2022)

Quick Reply: Is this a good PPF install?