Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

DeMan regearing review CGTS 4.0L

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 08:02 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 119 Posts
Default DeMan regearing review CGTS 4.0L

After a long time thinking about, researching, and corresponding with vendors I finally got the DeMan 2-5 short gear set installed and have been driving for about a week. I am very happy with the quality of the product and how efficiently DeMan Motorsports was able to complete the work. I did need to ship my transmission to them and they even helped me find reasonably priced reliable shipping when we weren’t able to on our own. Someone was always readily available by phone or email (despite them having much bigger projects going on at the time) throughout the process which I appreciated as well. After installation, the local shop I work with who specializes in Porsches (Modern Aircooled in Houston) also commented that the transmission rebuild quality was excellent and the turn around time was very fast in comparison to other transmissions they have installed in the past.

I have driven mostly on streets and highways and wanted to share my comparisons to stock before I forget what stock feels like for those who are interested. I was not in the camp of people who hated or even noticed a huge deficiency with the stock gearing. I could have lived with it as is but wanted to know what the car felt like with shorter gearing because it seems to be such a hot topic with reviewers and has caused a lot of fuss. I would say the spacing of the gears now feels perfect - not too long or too short. With the stock gearing I felt like in order to stay in the right part of the powerband, I had to use 1st gear like an actual working gear that I would even frequently rev match and downshift into for slow turns and corners. Cruising around at lower/regular speeds on the street I felt like I was either too high in second or too low in third. I don’t think I ever felt the need to go to 4rth or 5th unless on the highway or freeway. With the shorter gearing 1st is still the same, but 2nd is now reasonable so I only really am using 1st for startup and initiation like any traditional manual. I no longer feel the need to downshift back into 1st for any reason. Shifting into 3rd from 2nd is a lot more frequent and I am almost always cruising comfortably in the right part of the powerband in 3rd on the street and then shifting into 4rth as well when the speed picks up. 3-4-5 shifting on the highway is great and closely spaced. 6th is still the same as stock and great for freeway cruising. In addition to shifting more frequently, the RPM drops between the gears when upshifting are closer spaced so you don’t start so far back in the powerband when say you are shifting from 2nd into 3rd or 3rd into 4rth. You are generally still in the same part or near the same part of the powerband from where you shifted so the transition between the gears is smoother and you are faster between shifts. These impressions are all from daily street and some mild/moderate spirited driving as I’ve been limited by weather, time, and traffic. I am planning to do some real spirited drives and some laps at the local track very soon (although I am not a hardcore track guy) where I am sure the shortened gearing will shine even more.

Important to note, I am still not redlining second and third gear (very often) any more frequently on the street and I still don't think I need to. This is a high revving high speed car and if you want to redline the gears you still need to get out in the open roads without many other drivers obstructing you or to a track. If the gears were much shorter I have a feeling you might have problems putting all the power down or with traction or be shifting too frequently. I am, however, engaging with the shifter more upshifting/downshifting and finding myself in a preferable part of the powerband instead of being in an awkward part of it.

All in all very happy with the new gearing. The shorter gearing also works in conjunction and brings the best out of the other mods I have (Ninemeister lightweight flywheel and sports clutch, Numeric shifter, Kline exhaust and headers, Softronics tune) since you are shifting more, getting higher in the rev range for the same given speed, and correspondingly getting to hear the engine and exhaust react. If you are thinking about regearing, I would highly recommend DeMan Motorsports due to the product quality, efficiency, and being customer friendly. If you live in Houston and are looking for a shop that does quality work at very reasonable rates I would highly recommend Modern Aircooled who I have trusted for all my mods.
The following 28 users liked this post by NiteCrawlr:
718socal (09-04-2022), 808c2s (09-06-2022), AnandN (03-14-2023), AtoB (09-04-2022), baege (09-04-2022), Bearrun21 (09-04-2022), burnergt4 (09-03-2022), CardioDoc (03-26-2023), CliffBoothWannabe (09-04-2022), colnagoG60 (09-03-2022), Dan Nagy (09-04-2022), DFW01TT (09-04-2022), DMack (09-04-2022), enduro (03-14-2023), fueledbymetal (09-06-2022), fxmixer (01-31-2023), JAhmed (09-03-2022), jgreen76 (01-31-2023), jlert (11-11-2022), MovingChicane (09-05-2022), Rick DeMan (09-06-2022), RoadrunnerGTS (09-03-2022), rooster17 (09-04-2022), SpeedySpidey (09-03-2022), TDT (09-05-2022), tigerhonaker (03-14-2023), UncleDude (09-03-2022), vantage (09-04-2022) and 23 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-03-2022, 08:25 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 250 Posts

How much did it cost, all in?
Old 09-03-2022, 08:58 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Originally Posted by Bents
How much did it cost, all in?
Approximates:

10,000 for the gears and transmission rebuild
1,000 total for shipping the transmission from TX to NY and back
1,500 for transmission removal and replacement (flywheel labor is also included in here because a lot of the work is the same so I had it done simultaneously to save time and money)
The following 6 users liked this post by NiteCrawlr:
CardioDoc (03-26-2023), Charles Everson (08-11-2023), DFW01TT (09-04-2022), fueledbymetal (09-06-2022), Larry Cable (09-05-2022), Rick DeMan (09-06-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-03-2022, 09:29 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Glad to hear you like it. I guess a 4.5 is next! 🫢 You have to have the most tastefully modded 718. Looking forward to seeing this beast. Post up some pics!
Old 09-04-2022, 01:34 AM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Originally Posted by 008
Glad to hear you like it. I guess a 4.5 is next! 🫢 You have to have the most tastefully modded 718. Looking forward to seeing this beast. Post up some pics!
Haha thanks 008. Actually I think this car is complete now. Don’t think I will be doing anything else. 4.5 is beastly for sure but I am satisfied with the bolt on mods and tune for power.
The following 3 users liked this post by NiteCrawlr:
008 (09-04-2022), fueledbymetal (09-06-2022), Rick DeMan (09-06-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 09:18 AM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteCrawlr
Approximates:

10,000 for the gears and transmission rebuild
1,000 total for shipping the transmission from TX to NY and back
1,500 for transmission removal and replacement (flywheel labor is also included in here because a lot of the work is the same so I had it done simultaneously to save time and money)
Thanks! Very helpful.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bents:
Assad Jarrahian (12-06-2023), Rick DeMan (09-06-2022), rwm (09-04-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 11:32 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

I wish it was easier to do this in the UK
The following 3 users liked this post by mrd_spy:
Rick DeMan (09-06-2022), scoobyc (09-05-2022), TDT (09-05-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 02:25 PM
Holdens
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 141 Posts

Thank you for review.

look forward to doing this one day to mine.

keep us posted on long term feedback.
The following users liked this post:
Rick DeMan (09-06-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 02:35 PM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Holdens
Thank you for review.

look forward to doing this one day to mine.

keep us posted on long term feedback.
If you’re looking for “long term feedback”, I had a set in my 981 for over two years and had zero issues. When I bought the 718 it was a foregone conclusion that I would put in the shorter gears; they work great with the 4.0L’s power band, make the car more of an occasion on the street, and keep you in the power band more effectively on track. Literal no-brainer if you’re thinking of doing it.
The following 2 users liked this post by burnergt4:
Holdens (09-05-2022), Rick DeMan (09-06-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 04:29 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Originally Posted by burnergt4
If you’re looking for “long term feedback”, I had a set in my 981 for over two years and had zero issues. When I bought the 718 it was a foregone conclusion that I would put in the shorter gears; they work great with the 4.0L’s power band, make the car more of an occasion on the street, and keep you in the power band more effectively on track. Literal no-brainer if you’re thinking of doing it.
Nice to know they hold up well. After a few more days with the car and a few laps at the local track, I understand the value of the shorter gears better now. It was a steep investment but I think it is well worth it if you are considering it and going to keep long term. Just driving casually around on the street and shifting more and at traditional shift points is a joy. When you are really getting after it and driving fast, the reduced rpm drop between gears is epecially welcome and noticeable. I didn’t believe it at first, but I think the car reviewers may have a valid criticism. It’s a shame Porsche couldn’t offer these ratios with the current standard 718 gearbox.
The following 4 users liked this post by NiteCrawlr:
burnergt4 (01-31-2023), Rick DeMan (09-06-2022), rooster17 (09-05-2022), SpeedySpidey (09-05-2022)
Old 01-31-2023, 12:53 PM
fxmixer
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 68 Posts

After a long time thinking about, researching, and corresponding with vendors I finally got the DeMan 2-5 short gear set installed and have been driving for about a week. I am very happy with the quality of the product and how efficiently DeMan Motorsports was able to complete the work. I did need to ship my transmission to them and they even helped me find reasonably priced reliable shipping when we weren’t able to on our own. Someone was always readily available by phone or email (despite them having much bigger projects going on at the time) throughout the process which I appreciated as well. After installation, the local shop I work with who specializes in Porsches (Modern Aircooled in Houston) also commented that the transmission rebuild quality was excellent and the turn around time was very fast in comparison to other transmissions they have installed in the past.

I have driven mostly on streets and highways and wanted to share my comparisons to stock before I forget what stock feels like for those who are interested. I was not in the camp of people who hated or even noticed a huge deficiency with the stock gearing. I could have lived with it as is but wanted to know what the car felt like with shorter gearing because it seems to be such a hot topic with reviewers and has caused a lot of fuss. I would say the spacing of the gears now feels perfect - not too long or too short. With the stock gearing I felt like in order to stay in the right part of the powerband, I had to use 1st gear like an actual working gear that I would even frequently rev match and downshift into for slow turns and corners. Cruising around at lower/regular speeds on the street I felt like I was either too high in second or too low in third. I don’t think I ever felt the need to go to 4rth or 5th unless on the highway or freeway. With the shorter gearing 1st is still the same, but 2nd is now reasonable so I only really am using 1st for startup and initiation like any traditional manual. I no longer feel the need to downshift back into 1st for any reason. Shifting into 3rd from 2nd is a lot more frequent and I am almost always cruising comfortably in the right part of the powerband in 3rd on the street and then shifting into 4rth as well when the speed picks up. 3-4-5 shifting on the highway is great and closely spaced. 6th is still the same as stock and great for freeway cruising. In addition to shifting more frequently, the RPM drops between the gears when upshifting are closer spaced so you don’t start so far back in the powerband when say you are shifting from 2nd into 3rd or 3rd into 4rth. You are generally still in the same part or near the same part of the powerband from where you shifted so the transition between the gears is smoother and you are faster between shifts. These impressions are all from daily street and some mild/moderate spirited driving as I’ve been limited by weather, time, and traffic. I am planning to do some real spirited drives and some laps at the local track very soon (although I am not a hardcore track guy) where I am sure the shortened gearing will shine even more.

Important to note, I am still not redlining second and third gear (very often) any more frequently on the street and I still don't think I need to. This is a high revving high speed car and if you want to redline the gears you still need to get out in the open roads without many other drivers obstructing you or to a track. If the gears were much shorter I have a feeling you might have problems putting all the power down or with traction or be shifting too frequently. I am, however, engaging with the shifter more upshifting/downshifting and finding myself in a preferable part of the powerband instead of being in an awkward part of it.

All in all very happy with the new gearing. The shorter gearing also works in conjunction and brings the best out of the other mods I have (Ninemeister lightweight flywheel and sports clutch, Numeric shifter, Kline exhaust and headers, Softronics tune) since you are shifting more, getting higher in the rev range for the same given speed, and correspondingly getting to hear the engine and exhaust react. If you are thinking about regearing, I would highly recommend DeMan Motorsports due to the product quality, efficiency, and being customer friendly. If you live in Houston and are looking for a shop that does quality work at very reasonable rates I would highly recommend Modern Aircooled who I have trusted for all my mods.
Great to read about your experience. What kind of warranty does DeMan offer on the transmission?
Old 03-14-2023, 12:17 AM
GTJake
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 48 Posts

Haha thanks 008. Actually I think this car is complete now. Don’t think I will be doing anything else. 4.5 is beastly for sure but I am satisfied with the bolt on mods and tune for power.
What power mods and tune are you running? I was set on the 4.5 and now I'm torn on just enjoying the 4.0 with exhaust, gearing and tune. Curious as to which mods you went with that made you decide to skip the 4.5.
Old 03-14-2023, 09:23 AM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 646 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by fxmixer
Great to read about your experience. What kind of warranty does DeMan offer on the transmission?
We offer a 1 year on the trans re-gearing for defects in product or workmanship. No warranty on syncro's or any wear items.

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
The following 2 users liked this post by Rick DeMan:
Charles Everson (08-11-2023), f10tt (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 12:28 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Originally Posted by GTJake
What power mods and tune are you running? I was set on the 4.5 and now I'm torn on just enjoying the 4.0 with exhaust, gearing and tune. Curious as to which mods you went with that made you decide to skip the 4.5.
The 4.5 conversion is on a completely different level and the bolt on mods aren't a true substitute if what you are after is power, but I'm more than satisfied with the hp/torque in my car and the balance with all of the other components. I have Kline exhaust, link pipes, headers, and a Softronics tune which altogether is a noticeable power increase from stock but probably only a fraction of the 4.5. I never really considered the 4.5 conversion but instead put a lot of that money towards other parts (suspension, wheels, gearing, exhaust, shifter, etc) because I knew I wanted to change other attributes of the car more than adding additional power but that may not be the case for you.
Old 03-14-2023, 10:41 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 247 Posts

The revised gearing through 2-5 sounds like a great upgrade but it is expensive. I would have loved it in my previous 2013 BS. Even my 2018 C4S had tall gearing but with the abundant low end torque and the lack of any kind of auditory thrill from the turbo six, revving that engine to redline was less exciting. And with the turbo lag, it was quick to fall off boost during 2-3 upshift during normal driving on backroads. Have no idea why Porsche continues to do this. It’s almost as if they want you to buy the automatic. Mazda does gearing right for its manual ND Miata.

Last edited by AnandN; 03-14-2023 at 10:43 PM.

Quick Reply: DeMan regearing review CGTS 4.0L