Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Car & Driver LOVES the CGTS 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 09:19 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,360 Likes on 2,199 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
PSM off is basically no traction or stability control. I would only use it in a control environment, not on road. To enable PSM Sport, press the button briefly. To disable PSM, press button for 2-3 seconds.

Personally I don't see PSM off as a solution to disable ARM. Its kinda ridiculous that Porsche didn't add a separate button for ARM in the GTS, or at least as a selectable option in the Individual mode. Doesn't bother me really, as I am a convert to ARM and happy to have it active.
I measure my heel and toe against the auto blip (which I ****ing love), and when I do one in the same league, I'm like "yes"! I find it a challenge TBH and it has made me work at it more (doing it myself).
The following users liked this post:
RoadrunnerGTS (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 09:43 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,076 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I measure my heel and toe against the auto blip (which I ****ing love), and when I do one in the same league, I'm like "yes"! I find it a challenge TBH and it has made me work at it more (doing it myself).
I'v had my share of share of manual sports cars and H&T just becomes a habit. In my CGTS I have grown to prefer the car to do it for me, as its faster and more accurate. ARM on the CGTS is awesome though, and I have embraced it

I also ride motorcycles, where I have to rev match always. Some automation I don't like, such as clutchless quick shifter on my motorcycles.
Old 09-02-2022, 10:02 PM
sinking
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Learning about not being able to turn off ARM independently is a huge disappointment. I guess I'll be driving with PSM off all the time if normal mode is as sluggish as on my 987's. IIRC in the 987.2 in normal mode there was a soft limiter where timing was retarded in the last few hundred RPM. Does anyone know if the 718 GTS is like that?
Old 09-02-2022, 10:13 PM
CUGTS
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there any significant difference in engine response between normal and sport+ modes for manual cars? Heard both of them are linear or "unsensitive" compared to the sport mode.
Old 09-02-2022, 10:29 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,360 Likes on 2,199 Posts

Originally Posted by CUGTS
Is there any significant difference in engine response between normal and sport+ modes for manual cars? Heard both of them are linear or "unsensitive" compared to the sport mode.
there’s a big difference between sport and spot+ for throttle feel. I like both but usually like the normal feel (normal mode and sport+)
CUGTS (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 10:36 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sinking
Learning about not being able to turn off ARM independently is a huge disappointment. I guess I'll be driving with PSM off all the time if normal mode is as sluggish as on my 987's. IIRC in the 987.2 in normal mode there was a soft limiter where timing was retarded in the last few hundred RPM. Does anyone know if the 718 GTS is like that?
You can still do a manual rev match in conjunction with ARM. Just wait until you try ARM, as many hate the concept until after they use it.

Originally Posted by CUGTS
Sport modes change a number of parameters, not just throttle. Throttle response in sport is simply software changing sensitivity calibration, which gives the driver the impression of being more responsive.
CUGTS (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 11:18 PM
CUGTS
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your and RoadrunnerGTS's reply. My car is still over half a year from me, but I'm eager to learn more about it in advance. So, are normal and sport+ mode have similar response (like if you put the car in the same gear, and press the throttle to the same extent, will they have similar acceleration and speed)?

From what I understand, basically the Sport Chrono individual mode has to setup drivetrain components, including engine response, PTV and dynamic engine mount as a bundle, while the other items can be selected individually. For normal street or even mild canyon driving, I feel PTV mode will not make a significant difference as you will always have the LSD with the same locking rate. Dynamic engine mount can be treated as a compensation for not very perfect heel-and-toe, so it is also okay to have it in normal mode to absorb more shocks in the drivetrain if you want to disable autoblip and do everything by yourself. So to the end, the engine response is the most important part. If normal and sport+ have similar response, I plan to set the individual mode to start with normal, with auto start stop off and sport exhaust on. Then I assume that I will get a very close setup to sport+ mode, but without autoblip. However, if normal and sport+ modes have noticeable difference in response, this setup may be a no-go.
Old 09-02-2022, 11:37 PM
sinking
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
You can still do a manual rev match in conjunction with ARM. Just wait until you try ARM, as many hate the concept until after they use it.
My intent with buying this car was specifically to do manual transmission things like blipping on downshifts and heel and toe downshifting. I have an e-gear car for when I want the car to do the shifting work for me.
GarrettGTS (09-03-2022)
Old 09-03-2022, 12:19 AM
RoadrunnerGTS
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sinking
My intent with buying this car was specifically to do manual transmission things like blipping on downshifts and heel and toe downshifting. I have an e-gear car for when I want the car to do the shifting work for me.
Then you need a GT4 or Spyder to get ARM switch. I don't believe driving with PSM off is viable solution in the GTS. As I said, I don't miss rev matching manually. ARM is great and doesn't deteact from the manual transmission engagement factor.
Bearrun21 (09-04-2022)
Old 09-03-2022, 01:50 AM
GarrettGTS
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 47 Posts

I’m very happy to hear about the option to turn off ARM along with the stability control. I recently did my first track laps in my 2021 GTS, and I used the button to put the suspension in sport while staying in “normal” mode exactly to avoid ARM. I have been club racing for 30+ years and I’m good at heel & toe. I don’t like the car interfering. After just a few laps, I also did the PSM long press to stop that interference as well. The car finally did what it was told, but still was much softer than I’d prefer for a track car. Not a big surprise, because I test drove a T4 GTS before ordering and thought it was probably too soft for the track.

I’ll try S+ with the long press next time, but I think I’ll still find the car a bit lacking at the track. Maybe something else gets stiffened up with S+, but the only thing I’ve noticed on the street is the larger throttle opening and faster idle.

Before you start to think I don’t like my car, though, let me say that I absolutely love it!! I was offered a GT4 but I turned it down and waited for a GTS allocation because I was looking for a street car. (Plus, I'm not a fan of wings.) The tuning feels perfect to me for curvy back roads driven at 8 tenths. I’m not surprised C&D likes it.
Bearrun21 (09-04-2022)

Quick Reply: Car & Driver LOVES the CGTS 4.0