Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

JayEmm’s thought on 718 prices.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2022 | 01:02 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

I gotta bust out GT7 again, got bored with it after doing all the cafe missions
Old 08-28-2022 | 01:57 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smegman
I gotta bust out GT7 again, got bored with it after doing all the cafe missions
Supposedly the 1.20 update brought changes to driving physics of all the cars but MR cars benefit the most. I never had any problem with any of them, and preferred the McLarens the most. However the way the GT4 handles "in game" makes me now want to track my real GT4. I wonder if they based the handling on the 718 instead of the 981? It's much calmer/less twitchy than my 981, and similar to the 718 I was able to test...albeit on street.
Old 08-28-2022 | 02:18 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
Supposedly the 1.20 update brought changes to driving physics of all the cars but MR cars benefit the most. I never had any problem with any of them, and preferred the McLarens the most. However the way the GT4 handles "in game" makes me now want to track my real GT4. I wonder if they based the handling on the 718 instead of the 981? It's much calmer/less twitchy than my 981, and similar to the 718 I was able to test...albeit on street.
Thread is officially derailed, but I actually stopped playing for a bit because I couldn't stand the snap oversteer of literally every MR car in the game.

Would be nice if that was fixed... I'll give it a shot soon.
Old 08-28-2022 | 02:34 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Thread is officially derailed, but I actually stopped playing for a bit because I couldn't stand the snap oversteer of literally every MR car in the game.

Would be nice if that was fixed... I'll give it a shot soon.
My posts about the GT4, in GT7, weren't meant to be off topic. They were in support of its presence having a bolstering effect to the Cayman market as a whole, by growing a new fan base.
The following users liked this post:
manifold danger (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022 | 05:10 PM
Andrewpiper
Advanced

James is definitely in the UK..a totally different market place to the US I would think. Size alone changes everything! If people are paying stupidly paying overs a for a car and then hoping to re coup it after a few short videos on the Tube telling us all how long the gearing is or you definitely need bucket seats etc etc I have no sympathy what so ever. Shmee has bought anf sold 981 and 718 GT4 but never bags the prices...
I have to say I really like James's videos. I did wonder how he would fit in a GT4 with carbon chairs..lol He's a big unit!! Maybe he's annoyed that he couldn't get comfortable after reading elsewhere what a totally awesome car the GT4 is...lol. But I doubt it.
He's just paying his bills/accounts. If you don't like his stuff just move on.
Great forum here guys!
Old 08-28-2022 | 06:01 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

JayEmm is a try-hard with little driving skill or competence. He aims at being controversial in an attempt to increase his channel's YouTube count. His knowledge of cars and vehicle is not backed up by anything other than what he's researched upon the web. His review of the Lotus Emira launch was clearly sour grapes based on his Evora experience. I simply can't take him seriously and is poles-apart from the likes of Catchpole, Harris, Sutcliffe, Farah.
The following 4 users liked this post by RoadrunnerGTS:
beibei650 (08-31-2022), JAhmed (08-31-2022), manifold danger (08-28-2022), revcon (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022 | 06:17 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
JayEmm is a try-hard with little driving skill or competence. He aims at being controversial in an attempt to increase his channel's YouTube count. His knowledge of cars and vehicle is not backed up by anything other than what he's researched upon the web. His review of the Lotus Emira launch was clearly sour grapes based on his Evora experience. I simply can't take him seriously and is poles-apart from the likes of Catchpole, Harris, Sutcliffe, Farah.
Fully agree with the British chaps, and Farah has grown on me a lot but I still don't consider him one of the must-watch channels.

I'd throw Savagegeese in there for sure, arguably my favorite (although Jack deserves his own channel by himself), RBR, and Throttle House are really good too. Nick Murray and Motoman too because they're entertaining.

Jay Emm is far, far below all of these folks.

Feels like a dearth of content though lately TBH. Maybe just that time of year.
The following 5 users liked this post by manifold danger:
DP8 (08-31-2022), mr965 (08-30-2022), pcarGTS4.0 (08-30-2022), RoadrunnerGTS (08-30-2022), wizee (08-31-2022)
Old 08-30-2022 | 07:30 AM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dyim;[url=tel:18328072
18328072[/url]]He surmises that GT4 prices won’t do as well long term.

I think he is UK based (?). Maybe it won’t apply in North America.

What is the collective thought on here?

Just curious. Personally, I keep my cars for a long time and depreciation is not something that I look into.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=49wVqH6mCm8
They may go up and they may go down.

But his reasoning is based on a claim that new ones aren’t selling. He claims to know people called by dealers and offered versions that have gone unsold. I haven’t heard that anywhere else.

Also, he singles out the GT4. Wouldn’t the issue apply much more to the GTS? I have a GTS but a non-GT car will always depreciate less than a GT car.

Finally, if the price of GT4s decline, that is going to be a temporary thing. Ten years from now ICE fanatics are going to fall all over themselves for a GT4.
Old 08-30-2022 | 01:21 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Fully agree with the British chaps, and Farah has grown on me a lot but I still don't consider him one of the must-watch channels.

I'd throw Savagegeese in there for sure, arguably my favorite (although Jack deserves his own channel by himself), RBR, and Throttle House are really good too. Nick Murray and Motoman too because they're entertaining.

Jay Emm is far, far below all of these folks.

Feels like a dearth of content though lately TBH. Maybe just that time of year.

Throttle House is my favorite. I'm really kinda over the videos of someone using only a GoPro and terrible audio drive around trying to tell you how good the car is. Throttle House reminds me of the old Top Gear reviews.

That being said and going back on topic, market location is definitely going to make a difference. I think we have to remember that there are actually a lot more options for cool sports cars in the UK. You have Alpine as a brand we don't even get here, and then you get cars from BMW and Mercedes that will never see US soil as an example. Because of that, the selection of sports cars that you can get for about 100k Euros is quite expansive. We really don't have much in the US that is at this level. A lot of people say that for the money this car is amazing, but what other sports cars are there for 130k? The C8 Z06?

Basically what I'm trying to say is that the GT4 really doesn't have much competition in the used market. And its probably why GT cars in general hold their value. There's really just not much that it needs to compete with, and it still holds the pedigree so people will naturally gravitate to the car. If anything I see the used values dip for a few years, but once people realize we're never getting another ICE GT4 we'll slowly see prices go up.

Also as an aside. I expect California to have the best (for seller) used market after 2035. Supposedly that is when we ban the sale of new ICE vehicles in the state. I expect to see the used ICE market just absolutely go bonkers.
Andrewpiper (08-30-2022)
Old 08-30-2022 | 04:13 PM
ausgang
Racer

I find it convenient that every time he says something he has no idea what he's talking about the camera goes out of focus.
That is, nearly all the time.
Old 08-30-2022 | 08:26 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

JayEmm is a joke. Calls the Lotus Emira V6 a NA engine at 5:22, whilst its actually SC. Talk about not understanding the basics, this guy doesn't have a clue. Also says he likes the V6, which most say is a very ordinary power plant.

EDIT: Most buying 718's wouldn't care much about re-sale. The GT4/Spyder are special cars, however a lot more units have been produced vs the previous 981 gen. Here in Oz, most 1-2 year old GT4/Spyders are selling for same price as new. GTS's selling for slightly more than new. All based around lack of supply, however demand can't be that high either.

Last edited by RoadrunnerGTS; 08-30-2022 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-31-2022 | 11:44 AM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

I think JayEmm has some competition now:

Andrewpiper (08-31-2022)

Quick Reply: JayEmm’s thought on 718 prices.