Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Is this as close to driving perfection as it gets

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2022 | 03:36 PM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Originally Posted by disden

I agree 100% with OP. I am finishing up ED with my new Spyder today. I have owned lots of Porsches, including most GT cars. However after driving this Spyder I commented to friends that I honestly don’t think any other car has made me so happy. NA Motor, manual trans, small and nimble with amazing steering feel and top down driving…what other car is needed? When this thing gets home my 992 GT3 will never get driven!
It is so amazing. I have seen so many comments from many long time 911 owners saying the exact same thing about the Spyder. I am so excited to get mine in November.... and comments like yours simply solidify the decision for me! Thank you!!!!
Old 08-23-2022 | 03:50 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zhao
As more people use EVs they're going to go for more efficiency with the charging stations so lineups will start to happen more and more frequently. As more and more EVs get used for the real world and people try to go places with them, you're going to see people abandoning them in the charging station while tehy shop for 3 hours or have lunch for 2. Trips are going to become increasingly a nightmare as charging stations take up more and more parking at rest stops you're going to see more nad more ICE cars parking in the charging station because there is no other option. Then factor in the Turnover at a gas station is supposed to be X time. Now you're going ot make the turnover at a gas station X multiplied by 3 times? Is that good for business or not? I would say it's going to reinvent the gas station until charge times can be similar to gas fillup times, but in the meantime it's probably bad for business as you have a lot of cars sitting around taking up space for 1 purchase. So if customer volume goes down, prices need to go up.
Quantum Scape battery tech hopefully comes to market sooner than later. The 5-10 minute charge up is coming...... hopefully, (I own a Taycan)
Old 08-23-2022 | 03:59 PM
Clementine33
Instructor

I had no idea what I was getting into when I sold my C8 hardtop convertible to buy a new 718 Spyder. It is absolutely the best all around car I have ever owned.
Living in the mountains of Western North Carolina, I drive fantastic roads and enjoy my Spyder just as much as my 991.2 GT3RS but in a different way. (The 3RS is incredibly loud so it has pretty much been relegated to being a track car only.)
With a stage two tune and DSC controller and headers with valved exhaust, the Spyder is an auto cross monster! This is definitely a keeper.
My CGTS 4.0 I am sad to say has been neglected. It’s a good date night car or for driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway sightseeing. I’m just having too much fun with the Spyder!
The following users liked this post:
StilettoPat (08-23-2022)
Old 08-23-2022 | 06:35 PM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Originally Posted by Clementine33
I had no idea what I was getting into when I sold my C8 hardtop convertible to buy a new 718 Spyder. It is absolutely the best all around car I have ever owned.
Living in the mountains of Western North Carolina, I drive fantastic roads and enjoy my Spyder just as much as my 991.2 GT3RS but in a different way. (The 3RS is incredibly loud so it has pretty much been relegated to being a track car only.)
With a stage two tune and DSC controller and headers with valved exhaust, the Spyder is an auto cross monster! This is definitely a keeper.
My CGTS 4.0 I am sad to say has been neglected. It’s a good date night car or for driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway sightseeing. I’m just having too much fun with the Spyder!
Regarding the DSC Controller, I read on this board many folks love it. Sounds like it is worth the upgrade. However, I am going to use my Spyder as a daily. Does the DSC Controller make the ride too stiff for daily, or actually better for daily driving? Does it make the car more compliant?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 08-23-2022 | 06:42 PM
Clementine33
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ken in San Diego
Regarding the DSC Controller, I read on this board many folks love it. Sounds like it is worth the upgrade. However, I am going to use my Spyder as a daily. Does the DSC Controller make the ride too stiff for daily, or actually better for daily driving? Does it make the car more compliant?

Thanks,
Ken
Since my office is on my property .2 miles down the hill, I can’t say my Spyder is a DD, but I can say that I always drive it in sports suspension and have never thought the ride was too rough. But I think the low weight bucket seats are comfortable so you may have to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

After installing the DSC controller and switching off all the nannies, my autocross times decreased dramatically. I’m actually winning now.
Ken in San Diego (08-23-2022)
Old 08-23-2022 | 07:23 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks,
Ken
I have had the DSC controller for about 1-1/2 years now on my almost daily driven Spyder... great for the track and of course completely tunable, IMHO a worthy addition. (Chassis Sport)

For the street I run it in Chassis Normal and it is very compliant and again tunable for what you want, it is a noticeable difference.
Ken in San Diego (08-23-2022)
Old 08-23-2022 | 07:29 PM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I have had the DSC controller for about 1-1/2 years now on my almost daily driven Spyder... great for the track and of course completely tunable, IMHO a worthy addition. (Chassis Sport)

For the street I run it in Chassis Normal and it is very compliant and again tunable for what you want, it is a noticeable difference.
Thank you!
Westcoast (08-24-2022)
Old 08-23-2022 | 07:33 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Originally Posted by MaddMike
You know, of course, that the gas station franchisees make almost no money off the gasoline sales, right? That is why they are always encouraging shoppers to come in the store with promotions and coupons (and I think having the receipt machine not working). If they are smart, they can take advantage of this new world with sit-down food options, play areas for kids and dogs, napping pods, and other ways of generating revenue from a captive audience at least until battery technology improves to a point where cars can be charged in minutes.

Our family vehicle is a plug-in hybrid as even though I live on the East Coast, there is still not enough charging solutions for me to feel comfortable taking a road trip with the family on only electric. I think the long-term solution will be wireless chargers embedded in the roadway making any type of stopping purely optional.
They make ok off gas where I am (put it this way I was paying 1.4x for for a farmer gas station that sells unpermitted clear gas to the public when it was 1.9 a liter here, so they were marking gas up probably 60 cents a liter very recently; that's $2 a gallon in American. That's good profit) but I am aware that gas is the hook for the high profit stuff in the store to get sold. I can see highway restaurants evolving better to become charging stations; charge stations at restaurants to squeeze profit from customers already there. Already have customer turn overs higher than 30 minutes. Bringing in more customers to eat while they wait for their stupid EV car to charge. Gas stations evolving would be much more difficult.

wireless charging is never ever ever going to be a thing in my lifetime. Our roads fall apart in canada yearly due to freeze thaw, and you guys south of the border can't even afford to fix your damn bridges as they keep collapsing.
Old 08-24-2022 | 04:57 AM
edub
Pro

Just download the DSC software and one of the suspension profiles. You can get a feel for what you can change and how the different (street/sport) profiles are setup. From that you can see what big changes are and why the street profile would be nice to daily
Old 08-25-2022 | 03:44 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abarthguy
Still my all time best driving experience up Hwy 1 to Monterey.....

Fantastic! Last year I purchased a 1974 GTV from an older Italian gentleman who now has his 1959 Giuletta (Red on Black) for sale as well!

Mine is not (yet) up to being a great driving car. The steering is HEAVY, as in frozen non-lubable ball joints and a Burman steering box that may need to be replaced. But she's a pretty little thing.

Love to talk vintage Alfa with you sometime! I need some direction...

P.s. Whoopsey. Hikjacking the thread!

Last edited by Zeus993; 08-25-2022 at 03:51 AM.
Old 08-25-2022 | 03:53 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Clementine33
You have some of the BEST driving back roads EVER! Even the Blueridge Parkway is great. I drove it in a rented 318i and had fun with very very little traffic in front of me. Great memories!
Old 08-25-2022 | 09:38 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Beautiful!

I have about 10 days till delivery. I can't hardly wait.

Running to Costco...
Haha!!! Congratulations. A very BIG day awaits! Make sure to post pics. Remember the rule - no pics = doesn't exist!

MaddMike (08-25-2022)
Old 08-25-2022 | 11:36 AM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Thanks,
Ken
Originally Posted by edub
Just download the DSC software and one of the suspension profiles. You can get a feel for what you can change and how the different (street/sport) profiles are setup. From that you can see what big changes are and why the street profile would be nice to daily
FWIW, here are my 2+ years worth of DSC settings notes on my 981: https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyd...-settings.html

Old 08-26-2022 | 09:05 AM
baege
Racer

While I don't have a spyder, the OP's post definitely resonated with me.

I have owned in excess of 20 cars. The car that most spoke to me and which I could not drive enough of was my 2014 Cayman S in manual, a stripper no less (only options were the paint and wheels). I have never fallen in love with a car like that. I could just not get enough of driving it for a good six months. Once the experience normalized for me, I tried to replace it with a 2015 C7 in manual and quickly realized I had a mistake and went back into a 2016 Cayman S in manual with the x73 suspension.

I have driven MANY cars in an effort to replace the feeling I had with that first 981S Cayman including 991's, audi r8's, Aston Martin Vantages, Lotus Evora, Mercede c63,Jaguar F type, various bmw's.

No car has ever left me with the "I need to have this" feeling that I got with my first drive of a 981S.

When I ordered the 2016 Cayman S the GT4 was coming out and I could have ordered one. At the time I said I wish they made a touring version of the GT4.

When the rumors about the CGTS 4.0 came out, I realized porsche might just make the car I wanted them to. And when they actually made it, I knew I had to order it and i was fortunate enough to get an allocation.

I have loved the car since delivery. I can't say the experience matches my love of that 2014 cayman S in the first six months, because that "first time" experience just can't be had again.

But having driven it last night for the first time in 2 weeks after having had a Mini Cooper JCW rental for almost 2 weeks (a fun little car in its own right), I was immediately struck with a sense of gratitude of having the privilege to own this car. It is an absolute blast to drive, I was literally laughing out loud in joy. The sound, the immediate direct throttle response, the amazing manual, the turn in and handling, the compact size, the beauty, the acceleration. It is just amazing!

I recently paid to test drive a 458 and while it was mind blowing, the lack of a manual, the wide size and worse visibility, just meant it didn't bring as much joy to the drive.

These are truly amazing cars and I feel like the OP does that it might be as good as it gets for me but am very grateful to be able to experience it!
The following 4 users liked this post by baege:
brock256 (08-26-2022), Toon902 (08-26-2022), UncleDude (08-26-2022), Zeus993 (08-28-2022)
Old 08-26-2022 | 09:16 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Underblu
I was taking my 2020 Spyder out for a perfunctory drive just to give it a little exercise. Just a nice easy Summer night drive on an open stretch of highway. And it occurred to me it might not get any better than this. Sure, there are flashier rides that can do the quarter mile quicker, put up eye popping numbers at Nordschleife or revv to 9k. But does that make it necessarily better.

Roof down, the night sky overhead and the whirring burble of that great flat 6. This feels pretty close to perfection. The steering despite being electric lets you read the road, Shifting is mechanically precise and delightfully satisfying, the LWBS offer up the optimal driving position while providing cradling support.

Just following the road rather than attacking it, the Spyder is remarkably comfortable. I could easily drive on for a couple hundred miles following the moon toward the horizon. The end of the golden age in ICE sports cars may be dawning on us so I encourage everyone to enjoy these wonderful cars as much as you can.
I could say the exact same thing about my 981 Spyder. Except no LWBS which I regret not ordering when I spec’d it. Other than that, I am continually astounded at this car’s perfection 33k miles since taking delivery almost 7 years ago.

Quick Reply: Is this as close to driving perfection as it gets