Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder Top - After market options

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2022 | 10:26 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ken in San Diego
I just drive home with my 99 Boxster top down. Wasn’t bad. How much worse could it be in the Spyder with the top up??
You can’t compare a 1999 Boxster with a 718 Spyder top up/down.

Top up can be unbearable at times. No top or car insulation, big performance tires, and 4.0 that makes a ton of racket is amplified with the top up.

If this is a deal killer consider the GTS. My son had one and it was a different experience.

I had a Gen 1 Spyder w/PSE that was much quieter for comparison.
Old 07-19-2022 | 11:51 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ken in San Diego
ah. A comedian. Nice.

im adding Burmester so just looking for a solution while listening.

otherwise I’m sure I’ll love all the noise and engine purring.
I too use my motorcycle noise filtering earplugs. That way I can hear my Burmester nice and clearly without all the wind noise.
Old 07-20-2022 | 12:11 AM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
You can’t compare a 1999 Boxster with a 718 Spyder top up/down.

Top up can be unbearable at times. No top or car insulation, big performance tires, and 4.0 that makes a ton of racket is amplified with the top up.

If this is a deal killer consider the GTS. My son had one and it was a different experience.

I had a Gen 1 Spyder w/PSE that was much quieter for comparison.
appreciate your perspective. I got a Spyder allocation after a week of searching. Arriving in November. Not joking. Stuck by lighting.

since I can’t test drive it, I’ll simply try it for a few months. Worst case I’ll sell it and get a GTS next year if I can get my hands on one.

also,…. Getting the Burmeister to see how that changes the experience at times.
Old 07-20-2022 | 12:17 AM
cybers3c
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
should have got a 4.0 GTS
My thoughts exactly. This post is a little puzzling TBH. If I had any thought of noise or insulation, NO WAY I consider getting a Spyder!

Instead, I’d grab a quieter 4.0 BGTS with similar performance but with its extra insulation and all the creature comforts then call it a day.
Old 07-20-2022 | 12:22 AM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
After you get the car and drive it a little I think you will decide that leaving the top alone is best....it is not that loud inside!
thanks. I’m starting with the Spyder simply because I got an allocation a week after searching. Dumb luck. I couldn’t get a GTS allocation if I tried.

worst case, I’ll drive the Spyder if I can’t live with it. It’ll be my daily in San Diego.

but. I think you’re right. It’ll be a blast and I’ll love it.
Old 07-20-2022 | 07:07 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

I was the first at my dealer to place a deposit for the Spyder. When I got the call that they received an allocation, I hesitated briefly and considered getting a 4.0GTS. Since then, I've had a reoccurring nightmare that I actually passed up the Spyder for the GTS, and had to run to the garage to make sure it was only a nightmare! After two years with my Spyder, I still shake just thinking about the mistake I could have made.

The Spyder is too great for words.

Quick Reply: Spyder Top - After market options