Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Any concerns around warranty or resale with 3rd party shop for maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2022, 02:49 PM
scooter100
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Any concerns around warranty or resale with 3rd party shop for maintenance

There is a great race shop nearby and far less expensive than the dealer. I am due for 2nd year service soon on my GT4 and just kills me paying the dealers 100% exorbitant markup. Am I just asking for trouble when it comes time to sell the car or a major warranty claim since the service won’t be recorded in the P system?
Old 07-16-2022, 02:54 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,377 Likes on 836 Posts

You do realize that OEMs cannot force you to use their service facilities per federal law. IF you're concerned about J.Q.Public down the road .........
Old 07-17-2022, 07:00 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter100
There is a great race shop nearby and far less expensive than the dealer. I am due for 2nd year service soon on my GT4 and just kills me paying the dealers 100% exorbitant markup. Am I just asking for trouble when it comes time to sell the car or a major warranty claim since the service won’t be recorded in the P system?
Same boat. Great independent race shop close to me while dealer is 100 miles away. The guy that runs it is way more knowledgeable and meticulous than the stealer. My plan is to just keep the service records, that's all.
The following users liked this post:
dashanin (07-17-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 08:12 PM
prius_lover
Cruisin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

As far as resale goes, exclusive dealership service might help slightly, but the critical factor is just having fully documented service history with reasonable service intervals, regardless of whether it was done by a dealer or a reputable indy. In the end, you'll probably come out ahead financially going indy. Personally, if I'm shopping for a car I don't put a meaningful premium on dealership maintenance so long as everything is documented and you didn't get your clutch job done at Jiffy Lube or whatever.

Regarding warranty repairs, my understanding is dealers legally can't deny claims due to non-dealership maintenance unless they can prove the issue was a direct result of that.
Old 07-18-2022, 12:04 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 463 Posts

I’ve had no issues, but be prepared to provide the receipts if you are trading in or selling. I didn’t have that with me when I sold my Macan Turbo and they asked for the 40k mile service evidence so they could CPO it.
Old 07-18-2022, 12:21 AM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,096 Likes on 481 Posts

Warranty, no not at all as long as the workshop is Porsche certified.

For resale, that's all about perception. Some people want to see dealership servicing but they don't realize that dealership technicians are often the laziest of the bunch.
Old 07-18-2022, 09:14 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,866 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Reedy
Warranty, no not at all as long as the workshop is Porsche certified.

For resale, that's all about perception. Some people want to see dealership servicing but they don't realize that dealership technicians are often the laziest of the bunch.
I know Porsche certifies collision centers as many dealers don’t do body work, but never seen a certified service facility.
Larry Cable (07-18-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 11:55 AM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,096 Likes on 481 Posts

Might not be using the right language there but they should be equipped with Porsches workshop manuals and staff actually receive specific training and familiarisation on new and upcoming models. I wouldn’t take my car to any old generic workshop around the corner that doesn’t have at least that.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:55 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 833 Posts
Lightbulb

Suggestion ..................

Make sure you KEEP All-Your Receipts !!!

Then you can have a Paper-Trail and Prove all your Maintenance was actually done.

Terry
Zhao (07-18-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 03:17 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 908 Posts

I do most of my basic service myself, I keep the receipts and take a picture of the date etc. I have never had a problem on resale. Actually, I find most enthusiasts buyers actually prefer to buy from someone who can tell them every minor detail of the car and everything that has been done to it, point out every rock chip, and explain "defects" that even they didn't notice.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:30 PM
sinking
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
I do most of my basic service myself, I keep the receipts and take a picture of the date etc. I have never had a problem on resale. Actually, I find most enthusiasts buyers actually prefer to buy from someone who can tell them every minor detail of the car and everything that has been done to it, point out every rock chip, and explain "defects" that even they didn't notice.
I do all services myself, from oil changes to alignments to major repairs.

I have had mixed results from buyers. Some I'll never hear from again when I tell them that, others, like you've seen, seem to appreciate how particular I am. With some of my cars I've had the buyers reach out to me much later to ask me what they should do about certain things, so even after living with the car a while they still trust my skills and knowledge.

I will continue to do all my own work. After seeing the quality of work that comes out of high end shops when I buy cars that have been serviced there I have no interest in paying for that kind of work.
Old 07-19-2022, 10:36 AM
Don Fitzpatrick
Advanced

Received 107 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by sinking
I will continue to do all my own work. After seeing the quality of work that comes out of high end shops when I buy cars that have been serviced there I have no interest in paying for that kind of work.
This, my SA (and friend) is trying to convince me to keep all work done at dealership for Porsche goodwill down the line; but one of the worst days of my year (yes first world problems) is when I have to drop off my cars for inspection every year. Being picked up by wife during drop off, or sitting in a waiting room; its such a waste of time. And since Techs really do just have to deal with BS all day everyday from unknowledgeable owners, they don't put thought and care that you will into a car.

Even my truck that I have free oil changes for life on, I do my own. It takes more time and effort to drop it off then to do the service myself with a cool beer in my hand.

Quick Reply: Any concerns around warranty or resale with 3rd party shop for maintenance