Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder allocation in States. Got it in a week! True Story!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2022 | 01:02 AM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Default Spyder allocation in States. Got it in a week! True Story!

So…. This is a true story. I started what I thought was a useless effort in the States a week ago to find a Spyder allocation. I emailed every dealer in California and larger ones around the country.

Here is what I learned:

1). Look locally. Dealers are only giving Spyder allocations to nearby owners. They want the repeat business.

2). It’s true. Spyder allocations are nearly impossible.

3) I contacted the dealer that I bought my first 99 Boxster from, included a picture of me in my 99 and told them it was time for an upgrade.

No one at the dealership knew me since it was over 100 miles from my home and never serviced my Boxster there.

Today, the sales manager called me and said they just got an allocation for September build. They loved my story and offered it $15k over MSRP. I put down my deposit in 3 hours from that call and get a signed confirmation regarding my allocation.

AS I TYPE THIS, I AM LITERALLY STILL IN SHOCK. I thought that I would have to wait a year, or not get an allocation at all. Secured mine in a week.

Questions. Is $15k over MSRP decent on a 2023 build?

Any thoughts on my build?

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsche-code/default.aspx?c=/PPLQZE30

Last edited by Ken in San Diego; 07-16-2022 at 01:47 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Ken in San Diego:
bpeacock (07-16-2022), Guaji (07-16-2022), LnC993 (07-16-2022), LZRD GRN (07-16-2022), ruggierom (10-10-2022), SpeedySpidey (07-16-2022), T i h o r (07-16-2022), TripleL (07-18-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-16-2022 | 01:11 AM
Xxyion
Drifting

Congrats on the allocation! 15k over is amazing. I got an allocation for a GT4 and i'm paying 20k over.

Your build looks fantastic. Gentian Blue is a really nice color. I would consider getting the smoking package as its free and really cleans up the interior. It adds a small door to the weird cubby hole in the center console as well as adds a 12v charge port which is pretty nice for free.
The following 2 users liked this post by Xxyion:
AlfaQV2019 (07-16-2022), Ken in San Diego (07-16-2022)
Old 07-16-2022 | 01:17 AM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Originally Posted by Xxyion
Congrats on the allocation! 15k over is amazing. I got an allocation for a GT4 and i'm paying 20k over.

Your build looks fantastic. Gentian Blue is a really nice color. I would consider getting the smoking package as its free and really cleans up the interior. It adds a small door to the weird cubby hole in the center console as well as adds a 12v charge port which is pretty nice for free.
Thanks. Yeah, not only did I get one, but $15k over MSRP is not bad. Yeah, I’m still going to change a few things and adding smoking package is one of them.

I’m also not a race-Tex guy, and I want to try and manually change the center arm rest and side door handles to leather. Anyone do this?
Old 07-16-2022 | 01:18 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Good for you for acting on what you want. If the 15k$'s impacts your life, cancel the deal.
On your build, Gentian is impossible to argue against, except for the black top. I'm a sold out fan of supplemental restraints in body color, unless your car is black.
The exterior of your car is stunning, the interior ... I'll be kind and say, yawn.
OTOH, I picked the Spyder Classic interior, which you may find to be garish.
I hope the process goes smoothly for you.

Edit: Smoking package is a must and the fire extinguisher is a total poser item, but yeah, I ordered it.

Last edited by DFW01TT; 07-16-2022 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-16-2022 | 01:22 AM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
Good for you for acting on what you want. If the 15k$'s impacts your life, cancel the deal.
On your build, Gentian is impossible to argue against, except for the black top. I'm a sold out fan of supplemental restraints in body color, unless your car is black.
The exterior of your car is stunning, the interior ... I'll be kind and say, yawn.
OTOH, I picked the Spyder Classic interior, which you may find to be garish.
I hope the process goes smoothly for you.

Points we’ll taken. I know it’s conservative. I’ve kept my first since 99 and realized some things come and go over the years so wanted to keep it simple. Might go with Silver interior stitching to make it pop a bit.

but again, can’t believe I got one in a week of searching.
Old 07-16-2022 | 02:20 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ken in San Diego
Thanks. Yeah, not only did I get one, but $15k over MSRP is not bad. Yeah, I’m still going to change a few things and adding smoking package is one of them.

I’m also not a race-Tex guy, and I want to try and manually change the center arm rest and side door handles to leather. Anyone do this?
I think both come with Race-Tex and if you're trying to remove the Race-Tex, I'm pretty sure it's going to require you going through CXX which will be very expensive because in order to do the door, it's basically a full custom door. They don't do a la carte for the door. It's either full door customization or pick the options available on the builder.

Congrats on the allocation. $15k isn't too bad in this market but no matter what we all say, at the end of the day you're writing the check so if you're good, enjoy the journey.
The following users liked this post:
Ken in San Diego (07-16-2022)
Old 07-16-2022 | 05:19 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

First off, congrats on the allocation! I’ve got a very similar build to yours. A few things I want to mention:

-Yes for Smoking Package, cleans up center console
-Automatically Dimming Mirrors option is useful if you drive at night
-Black calipers would suit Gentian Blue better, or even better go with PCCB’s
-Bose is quite weak on Spyder, go Burmester if you can
-If you will change to Silver stitching, because you selected Leather Steering Wheel and ****, make sure you select ‘Extended Deviated Stitching’ option; otherwise Steering Wheel and Shift Boot will retain black stitching. Ask me how I know
-If you are going to go with Extended Deviated Stitching, go with maybe Blue stitching to make it more unique than Silver. Or maybe Cognac for a more classy and subtle look?
-If you’re going to delete Race-Tex and go CXX maybe do the seats in a different color leather to add some pop to the car like Cognac seats (what I would have done if I could go back)
-Aluminum Pedals look nice with Aluminum Trim
Old 07-16-2022 | 07:43 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Xxyion

I saw your post in the 718 thread and responded there, but I'll echo that I'm a fan of your story lol. I like that some dealers care about stuff like this and hopefully I have similar story when I buy my 918-equivalent ultracar from my local dealer 10-15 years from now .

That said, a Spyder is basically Porsche's ultracar right now. At the very least for those posting on this board... it's the best looking car they may have ever made, and while it won't peel your face off with acceleration, the driving dynamics are among the best of any car ever made as well. Definitely worth the extra $15k, and the market reflects this- especially with a light build like yours.

For reference, my GTS 4.0 build is $2k more than your Spyder build... but for me the GTS makes infinity more sense. Mostly because it will be my daily, and my wife has vetoed the roof of the Spyder... and also some of the options (or lack thereof) are questionable.

On that topic, a couple comments on your build; it's always fun to see the varying opinions when people share their builds on rennlist. I try to keep my feedback more utilitarian rather than trying to convince you to like my favorite color.

- Like I mentioned earlier about options on the Spyder; the lack of some of the "creature comfort" options is mind-boggling. Like no entry and drive; I get that some folks like the "stripper spec", but not being able to spec entry and drive at all is another reason I can't quite justify a Spyder over the GTS for my personal use case. To that end I see you've got the $770 dual zone climate control selected (RIDICULOUS that it costs that much for something that has been standard on a Civic EX for over a decade)- it's not absolutely mandatory but the interface for the manual climate control system is almost intentionally annoying. And I will second selecting the auto-dimming mirrors. Especially since you got the PDLS+; it does seem you'll be driving at night and for me it's a must-have option.

- I saw someone mentioned ticking the option for Burmester. I wouldn't do it. It's a great system but the fidelity will no doubt be lost in a car that is specifically designed to let more ambient noise into the cabin. Some say that you need the Burmester BECAUSE of this... I disagree. It's cool that it's available for those who just have to have it, but to me it's a waste in a car like the Spyder. Worst case scenario if you get the car and just feel like the Bose isn't good enough (it is but people LOVE to hate on Bose), then there are plenty of aftermarket options available for at or less than the cost of the Burmester system.

- Some folks have already weighed in on the interior, and this is one of those areas where individual taste reigns supreme. EVERYONE has a different take on what they like on the interior, and I recommend listening to only people who matter; i.e., people who are going to be spending a lot of time in the car. Like you and your wife, and that's about it lol. That said, the only recommendations I'll make are to check out the deviated stitching options because they do look great (the tip about getting the Extended stitching package is great but I'd double-check on that with your SA; the video in the configurator may lie to you and suggest the steering wheel and shifter is included and needs to be fixed if that's not the case)- and consider the black brushed aluminum trim if you haven't already. Looks aside, there are certain areas within the cabin (mostly around the shifter) that reflect light right into your eyes (somehow underneath sunglasses...) if the sun is in a certain position. I've dealt with this in both the Macans I've had, and will perpetually select darker trim because of it.

- You've kept your original Boxster for a lifetime, so you can effectively dismiss any suggestion that has to do with resale. I anticipate folks weighing in suggesting you HAVE to have PCCB and buckets because it's a Spyder and everybody expects that on the secondhand market. It's nonsense, and if you aren't using it for primarily track use the buckets are way overkill (but do look amazing and are more comfortable than you'd think). The PCCB also does provide a ton of benefits to the driving experience beyond just trackday endurance, but they're also very expensive, and end of the day, unnecessary.

Overall it's very difficult to screw up a Spyder so again, congrats! (I've seen the dreaded Python Green with red Spyder classic interior... that's a combo I couldn't live with but to each their own).

Last edited by manifold danger; 07-16-2022 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-16-2022 | 08:12 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manifold danger
- I saw someone mentioned ticking the option for Burmester. I wouldn't do it. It's a great system but the fidelity will no doubt be lost in a car that is specifically designed to let more ambient noise into the cabin. Some say that you need the Burmester BECAUSE of this... I disagree. It's cool that it's available for those who just have to have it, but to me it's a waste in a car like the Spyder. Worst case scenario if you get the car and just feel like the Bose isn't good enough (it is but people LOVE to hate on Bose), then there are plenty of aftermarket options available for at or less than the cost of the Burmester system.

- You've kept your original Boxster for a lifetime, so you can effectively dismiss any suggestion that has to do with resale. I anticipate folks weighing in suggesting you HAVE to have PCCB and buckets because it's a Spyder and everybody expects that on the secondhand market. It's nonsense, and if you aren't using it for primarily track use the buckets are way overkill (but do look amazing and are more comfortable than you'd think). The PCCB also does provide a ton of benefits to the driving experience beyond just trackday endurance, but they're also very expensive, and end of the day, unnecessary.
I have Bose and it’s ok at best considering the engine noise and ambient noise especially with top down. If you select Bose and want to upgrade later, just tweeters don’t do much (have Musicar Stage 1 on mine). If you go with Musicar Stage 2, it costs just as much as Burmester would from factory if you include cost of Bose on top of it, and you won’t make that back on resale unless you take it off and sell it separately.

I live in a big city with lots of traffic, don’t enjoy sitting in traffic and listening to the engine just idle. Want music to keep me company until I get to the canyons where I can actually rev the car.

PCCB’s are definitely not a must, but on darker colors such as Gentian Blue, standard brakes create too much brake dust and bothers my OCD lol!

So both are options that I personally wish I could have gone back and specced on the car.
Old 07-16-2022 | 08:18 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sin911
I have Bose and it’s ok at best considering the engine noise and ambient noise especially with top down. If you select Bose and want to upgrade later, just tweeters don’t do much (have Musicar Stage 1 on mine). If you go with Musicar Stage 2, it costs just as much as Burmester would from factory if you include cost of Bose on top of it, and you won’t make that back on resale unless you take it off and sell it separately.

I live in a big city with lots of traffic, don’t enjoy sitting in traffic and listening to the engine just idle. Want music to keep me company until I get to the canyons where I can actually rev the car.
I get it- as someone who probably has invested $3000+ on headphones alone, sound systems are important. But for a $3500 option, the Burmester doesn't make sense in this car. At least, no more sense than spending the same amount on an aftermarket system.

Maybe I'd share your opinion if I sat in traffic ALL THE TIME; but even in both BGTS I've had (981 and 718), once I'm moving the tire noise alone is too much to enjoy any of the advantages of a nice sound system unless it was at a volume that would definitely damage my ears. Just not worth it for the rare moment I'm standing still inside the car IMO.

Ultimately when it comes down to Bose vs Burmester, the only real solution is to listen to both. Unless you have $3500 lying around.
Old 07-16-2022 | 08:56 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

@manifold danger Do you have a burmester in a spyder? Just curious. I do, and it’s great. In all scenarios? No, but in all scenarios other than exceptionally loud ones (eg WOT or surrounded by cars and semis at high speed), I find it to be excellent. I’m quite happy I plunked for it.

YMMV

Last edited by Adrift; 07-16-2022 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-16-2022 | 08:57 AM
gregturek
Racer

Thumbs up

I think that’s the current “market” for Spyder/GTS. That’s the same ADM we paid for a GTS 4.0 in IL.

Old 07-16-2022 | 09:44 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Adrift
@manifold danger Do you have a burmester in a spyder? Just curious. I do, and it’s great. In all scenarios? No, but in all scenarios other than exceptionally loud ones (eg WOT or surrounded by cars and semis at high speed), I find it to be excellent. I’m quite happy I plunked for it.

YMMV
Hey buddy, that sounds like a rhetorical question.

I'm glad you like your Burmester. I'd hope I would too if I spent $3500 for it!

Just like I want to throw up when I see Python Green. YMMV.

Which is my entire point.
Old 07-16-2022 | 10:28 AM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

So…. This is a true story. I started what I thought was a useless effort in the States a week ago to find a Spyder allocation. I emailed every dealer in California and larger ones around the country.

Here is what I learned:

1). Look locally. Dealers are only giving Spyder allocations to nearby owners. They want the repeat business.

2). It’s true. Spyder allocations are nearly impossible.

3) I contacted the dealer that I bought my first 99 Boxster from, included a picture of me in my 99 and told them it was time for an upgrade.

No one at the dealership knew me since it was over 100 miles from my home and never serviced my Boxster there.

Today, the sales manager called me and said they just got an allocation for September build. They loved my story and offered it $15k over MSRP. I put down my deposit in 3 hours from that call and get a signed confirmation regarding my allocation.

AS I TYPE THIS, I AM LITERALLY STILL IN SHOCK. I thought that I would have to wait a year, or not get an allocation at all. Secured mine in a week.

Any thoughts on my build?

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/po...px?c=/PPLQZE30
To add to my crazy story, I got a September build, and it will arrive early November. My head is spinning…..
Old 07-16-2022 | 10:39 AM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Originally Posted by sin911
First off, congrats on the allocation! I’ve got a very similar build to yours. A few things I want to mention:

-Yes for Smoking Package, cleans up center console
-Automatically Dimming Mirrors option is useful if you drive at night
-Black calipers would suit Gentian Blue better, or even better go with PCCB’s
-Bose is quite weak on Spyder, go Burmester if you can
-If you will change to Silver stitching, because you selected Leather Steering Wheel and ****, make sure you select ‘Extended Deviated Stitching’ option; otherwise Steering Wheel and Shift Boot will retain black stitching. Ask me how I know
-If you are going to go with Extended Deviated Stitching, go with maybe Blue stitching to make it more unique than Silver. Or maybe Cognac for a more classy and subtle look?
-If you’re going to delete Race-Tex and go CXX maybe do the seats in a different color leather to add some pop to the car like Cognac seats (what I would have done if I could go back)
-Aluminum Pedals look nice with Aluminum Trim

Really appreciate your detailed response.

if I try and go CXX to make the seats full leather, any idea as to the cost?

Only concern with silver stitching is getting dirty. Does it clean well?

Quick Reply: Spyder allocation in States. Got it in a week! True Story!