Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4RS front axle lift decision

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2022 | 07:36 AM
manual_laborer
Instructor

I scrape my Spyder a lot, and knowing the front lip is replaceable still doesn’t stop me from wincing every time, or from being the guy holding people up in the parking lot entrance / exit as I gingerly pull out onto the road. Have it in my GT3 and love having it. You’re a better man than I am if you can notice the weight savings, so throw this comment out the window if that’s the case.
Old 06-28-2022 | 08:12 AM
Maciej964
Track Day

Originally Posted by IRM
This is not correct. Let's avoid misunderstandings. RS as regular GT4 are 30mm lower than Cayman. GT4 and RS have same clearance (less than 1mm difference I believe but nothing to do with 30!)
Thanks for the clarification. My comment was based on the media release
"The entire car has been lowered by 30 mm compared to the regular GT4 and features tinted head and tail lights which further adds to the overall sporty stance of the vehicle"

But I will know the true story relatively fast
Old 06-28-2022 | 09:12 PM
cafe_racer
Racer

I wonder if it will be GPS enabled like the GT3 FAL. That would be handy! Anyone know?
Old 06-28-2022 | 09:17 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cafe_racer
I wonder if it will be GPS enabled like the GT3 FAL. That would be handy! Anyone know?
Based on pricing difference between GT3 and GT4RS = NO
Old 06-28-2022 | 09:32 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cafe_racer
It’s not as handy as it sounds. I have the GPS lift on my GT3, but I have disabled the GPS aspect of the feature.

In order to clear most obstacles (like my driveway), you have to manually raise the nose to clear obstacles in front and lower the nose (to raise the tail) when straddling the obstacle, to avoid scraping the rear diffuser.

With the GPS feature enabled, it just keeps raising the nose and defeating your efforts to keep from scraping the rear diffuser…

When backing towards the obstacle (like every time I leave my garage), you need to have the lift lowered to clear the rear axle first and the GPS wants to raise the lift whenever near any programmed obstacle locations…

Last edited by GrantG; 06-28-2022 at 09:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cafe_racer (06-28-2022)
Old 06-29-2022 | 03:45 PM
gtr
Racer

Originally Posted by GrantG
It’s not as handy as it sounds. I have the GPS lift on my GT3, but I have disabled the GPS aspect of the feature.

In order to clear most obstacles (like my driveway), you have to manually raise the nose to clear obstacles in front and lower the nose (to raise the tail) when straddling the obstacle, to avoid scraping the rear diffuser.

With the GPS feature enabled, it just keeps raising the nose and defeating your efforts to keep from scraping the rear diffuser…

When backing towards the obstacle (like every time I leave my garage), you need to have the lift lowered to clear the rear axle first and the GPS wants to raise the lift whenever near any programmed obstacle locations…

I've heard about the rear diffuser scraping thus didn't spec it on mine. I didn't know if the new system was much faster that the prior 991,even on the way down? Would you add this to your GT4RS? Mine locks in a couple of days and i'm running out of time to decide.

If only Porsche offers all axle lift.

Last edited by gtr; 06-29-2022 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2023 | 07:30 PM
DK7
Burning Brakes

How much weight adds FAL?
Old 02-22-2023 | 11:37 AM
skafia
Rennlist Member

I was 50/50 on getting this too as I remembered my 997 had it and it would malfunction half of the time (goes up but won't come down). I ended up getting it because that sound the car makes when you are hitting things is terrifying.
Old 02-22-2023 | 12:54 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Front axle lift is like insurance for the car. You may not use it but will be glad when it's needed.

Problem with 911s scraping the rear diffusers is a different issue. Weight. And where it is. On a 911 it's behind the rear axle.

This problem has been there ever since Porsche put a diffuser on the 911R. I banged that diffuser once every 3 speed bumps or so I go over. Best results was with the GT2RS, the much much stiffer rear springs helped a lot in preventing that, but still maybe once in every 10 bumps.

Lifting the front to clear say a speed bump is a no brainer, but for the rear axle, once the rear axle cleared the same bump, the wheels dropped back down to ground level, bringing the whole chassis down together. But the rear end of the car will still be over the raised bump when the axle cleared. The heavy engine means the chassis will be coming down faster, and the springs isn't strong enough to prevent the suspension from going into compression and thus banging the rear on the said bump. About the only way to do it cleanly is to go dead slow when clearing the rear axle on speed bumps.

Mid engine cars has a more advantageous weight distribution, so the rear don't come down as much and mostly this isn't a problem. 8 years with my 918 and my rear diffuser might have hit the ground once? Not sure cause I only found out there was a scratch when I had the car up on hoist and was looking around the underside. My front lip underside however looks like it's just came back from WW2.

From Porsche's perspective, not counting the 918, the front lip and rear diffusers are 'wear' items, that's why they are relatively cheap and made of simply plastic and easy to replace.

Old 02-22-2023 | 02:34 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Front axle lift is like insurance for the car. You may not use it but will be glad when it's needed.

Problem with 911s scraping the rear diffusers is a different issue. Weight. And where it is. On a 911 it's behind the rear axle.

This problem has been there ever since Porsche put a diffuser on the 911R. I banged that diffuser once every 3 speed bumps or so I go over. Best results was with the GT2RS, the much much stiffer rear springs helped a lot in preventing that, but still maybe once in every 10 bumps.

Lifting the front to clear say a speed bump is a no brainer, but for the rear axle, once the rear axle cleared the same bump, the wheels dropped back down to ground level, bringing the whole chassis down together. But the rear end of the car will still be over the raised bump when the axle cleared. The heavy engine means the chassis will be coming down faster, and the springs isn't strong enough to prevent the suspension from going into compression and thus banging the rear on the said bump. About the only way to do it cleanly is to go dead slow when clearing the rear axle on speed bumps.

Mid engine cars has a more advantageous weight distribution, so the rear don't come down as much and mostly this isn't a problem. 8 years with my 918 and my rear diffuser might have hit the ground once? Not sure cause I only found out there was a scratch when I had the car up on hoist and was looking around the underside. My front lip underside however looks like it's just came back from WW2.

From Porsche's perspective, not counting the 918, the front lip and rear diffusers are 'wear' items, that's why they are relatively cheap and made of simply plastic and easy to replace.

That's true and makes sense...but, the 718 GTs have probably one of the lowest diffusers. Trust me, you will hit it more than the front lip.
Old 02-22-2023 | 06:21 PM
Jevi Javi
Instructor

I got FAL and quite happy I did. You never know when you might run into unexpected speed bumps, dips, humps and stressful driveways!
Old 02-22-2023 | 06:46 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

I'm used to managing very low front aero lips on my 996 Turbos, thought I likely could manage fine without FAL on the 4RS but ordered it anyway, mostly as a 'most buyers will want it if I ever sell it down the road' item.

Wow, glad I did! It lifts quickly, convenient to use, and I find myself using it frequently. So much nicer than inching over some dip or hump on an extreme angle... And also *much* faster than retracting the pneumatic front lip on the 991 Turbo!

Last edited by pfbz; 02-22-2023 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-23-2023 | 09:45 AM
Tom Loder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gtr

If only Porsche offers all axle lift.
They kind of do on the Dakar.
Old 02-23-2023 | 02:58 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Out of curiosity, anyone know how much weight it adds and is it the same system used in the GT3?
DK7 (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023 | 06:41 PM
Jevi Javi
Instructor

not 100% sure but around 15 lbs
I remenber reading it somewhere on rennlist
MaddMike (02-23-2023)

Quick Reply: GT4RS front axle lift decision