Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

PDK on track

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 12:52 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Reedy
Do real GT3 cars even have auto mode? None that I know of. What kind of pros are we talking about here? Ones who are driving street cars?

I guess you could justifiably run in Auto and probably be quicker up until you run into the kind of problem that the OP is talking about. But as soon as that becomes an issue you're going to want to start shifting manually. I have never driven an auto on track that did nothing but irritate the heck out of me with its gear selections, but I also haven't driven an auto on track since 2013 (R35 GTR and Mclaren 12C and the McLaren in auto was simply terrible) so its fair to say a newer Porsche gearbox is probably a lot better.

Who am I to comment anyway, I have a manual car and feel shame when I use auto blip. Auto shifting is worse than that.
As far as, what type of pros, I'm referring to world challenge championship winning drivers. I've talked with Randy Pobst, Andy Pilgrim, and Tom O'Gorman. Andy and Tom both drove my car and I was competing against Randy at a Targa event. I'm not saying that PDK is 100% perfect, but it is much less likely to make a mistake then I am. When I autox I typically shift manually, because it doesn't seem to like autox very much. On the tracks I've run on, PDK in auto has been fantastic and hasn't set a foot wrong. I'm sure there are tracks out there, or driving styles, that make it act funny. So, great that we have either option.

I actually prefer manual transmissions, but the PDK has been fantastic.
The following users liked this post:
964C4 (06-24-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 09:35 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,331 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Lacquer
Sorry, but I have had the exact opposite experience. I have taken a bit of instruction and have yet had a single pro level instructor say leaving a PDK or a DCT in auto will be faster on a road course than manual shifting for anyone other than a basic driver. For the fastest lap time, they always advise and use manual mode..They actually make a point to demonstrated why manual is faster and safer. Basically, No matter how smart PDK is, it cannot predict what the best shift point or gear position is for the track ahead of you, Auto is 100% of the time reacting to a situation. Lap after lap it will always make the same miscalculations, where in manual mode you can select what is best before it is needed.
Originally Posted by slilley
I agree with @Lacquer above! My opinion is based solely on my PDK experience with my '22 CGTS4.0. I've got 3 track days, 1 track sprint, and about a half-dozen autocrosses in it.

Another vote here for PDK in manual mode on track. PDK is great, but it doesn't know what's ahead. On track, it's doing a great job with the gear selection 90% of the time, but that other 10% it's not in the gear I'd be in, or it's changing up/down at an inopportune time. On the street I normally leave it in Auto mode, but if I'm out for a back-road ride with friends in their cars, it goes into manual mode for the same reasons. And when it comes to autocrossing, I've not had great experience with the automatic PDK gear selection - so I quickly gave up on leaving it in Auto there as well.

For someone new to track or AutoX, by all means leave it in Auto - that's one less thing you'll have to contend with! But as you gain experience, give the manual mode a shot.
I wonder how Porsche drivers set their times on NBR compared to these "pro level instructors"? Who knows more? Who do you trust more? Its your wallet and you need to feel that your $ is well spent and that you might come back for more.
Old 06-21-2022, 12:20 AM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,038 Likes on 461 Posts

My guess is Lars Kern wouldn't be caught dead using auto mode on a lap record attempt.

It's a bit hard to see but he's definitely shifting manually in the GT4 RS Lap.

Same on the GT3 Lap

Last edited by Reedy; 06-21-2022 at 12:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Reedy:
Larry Cable (06-21-2022), slilley (06-21-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 09:01 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

My guess is Lars Kern wouldn't be caught dead using auto mode on a lap record attempt.

It's a bit hard to see but he's definitely shifting manually in the GT4 RS Lap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjSXWcj2XUA
Very hard to confirm what you're saying with only that itty bitty little screen in the bottom right. Could not detect finger movement on shift. Anyway, it was Bergmeister who set the record lap as far as I know and not Kern.
Old 06-21-2022, 03:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,521 Likes on 2,300 Posts

Do real GT3 cars even have auto mode? None that I know of. What kind of pros are we talking about here? Ones who are driving street cars?

I guess you could justifiably run in Auto and probably be quicker up until you run into the kind of problem that the OP is talking about. But as soon as that becomes an issue you're going to want to start shifting manually. I have never driven an auto on track that did nothing but irritate the heck out of me with its gear selections, but I also haven't driven an auto on track since 2013 (R35 GTR and Mclaren 12C and the McLaren in auto was simply terrible) so its fair to say a newer Porsche gearbox is probably a lot better.

Who am I to comment anyway, I have a manual car and feel shame when I use auto blip. Auto shifting is worse than that.
Originally Posted by Lacquer
Sorry, but I have had the exact opposite experience. I have taken a bit of instruction and have yet had a single pro level instructor say leaving a PDK or a DCT in auto will be faster on a road course than manual shifting for anyone other than a basic driver. For the fastest lap time, they always advise and use manual mode..They actually make a point to demonstrated why manual is faster and safer. Basically, No matter how smart PDK is, it cannot predict what the best shift point or gear position is for the track ahead of you, Auto is 100% of the time reacting to a situation. Lap after lap it will always make the same miscalculations, where in manual mode you can select what is best before it is needed.
amen!
Old 06-24-2022, 02:16 PM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 86 Posts

Curious if anyone is experiencing oil seeping from the PDK oil pan. The dealer has already replaced it once and after two track days it has started again.
Old 06-24-2022, 02:20 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by mr965
Curious if anyone is experiencing oil seeping from the PDK oil pan. The dealer has already replaced it once and after two track days it has started again.
mine is not, but i have a friend that has the same issue.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:27 PM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 268 Posts

thankfully Porsche has awesome warranty!!!! Just keep taking it back until they replace it all. Lol
Old 06-24-2022, 05:00 PM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche444
thankfully Porsche has awesome warranty!!!! Just keep taking it back until they replace it all. Lol
Thats what I think will be next...new trans.
Old 06-24-2022, 05:10 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Is this from a 718?

I ask because of your CL avatar…
Old 06-24-2022, 06:05 PM
d6veteran
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 48 Posts

Honestly I have a hard time believing anyone is out shifting PDK with manual or paddle shifters. If you are running in Sport+ AND you've driven the car hard for over 5k miles, then it should be shifting optimally. I've had zero issues and actually have learned from hearing/feeling how the PDK shifts through different sections (it is not how we tend to manually shift).
Old 06-24-2022, 06:59 PM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Is this from a 718?

I ask because of your CL avatar…
Yes my 718 GT4 PDK is having issues
Old 06-24-2022, 07:11 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

All those advocating shifting a PDK manually, instructors or members; how many own a manual, how many instructors own a manual, how many have run back to back? My experience has been that most are better served leaving the PDK in Auto if all they are interested in is times.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:41 PM
lnirenberg
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 68 Posts

To clarify my original post, there are a few places at my home track where I manually shift specifically in a very fast chicane where auto tends to upshifts mid-turn & unsettles the car. After reading the entire thread I realize what’s happening is the transmission seems befuddled and isn’t selecting the next gear accelerating out of certain corners with the turn started in 3rd gear. I never experienced this happening in my 991 GT3 with stock PDK tune and a 991 TTS with a Cobb PDK tune at this same track.

Quick Reply: PDK on track