Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Any Experiences with Quebec Dealerships?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 12:35 AM
CathalMacIarnain
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Any Experiences with Quebec Dealerships?

Wondering if anyone has had experiences with any of the Quebec dealerships and how those have been? Seems like a few West Cdn dealerships have told me to stay away from them for various reasons, including less than proper CPOs being done. Assume that its just them trying to make sales and scare people away but looking for any info. I have an opportunity on a vehicle out there that has been CPOed.
Old 06-11-2022, 01:14 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 236 Posts

You might have better luck asking this question in the regional Canadian forum

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada-98/
Old 06-11-2022, 03:40 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by CathalMacIarnain
Wondering if anyone has had experiences with any of the Quebec dealerships and how those have been? Seems like a few West Cdn dealerships have told me to stay away from them for various reasons, including less than proper CPOs being done. Assume that its just them trying to make sales and scare people away but looking for any info. I have an opportunity on a vehicle out there that has been CPOed.
I purchased a 2011 Gen-1 Spyder from Quebec and had the dealership in Montreal (?) perform a PPI and then ship it out here to Vancouver. Everything looked great but the car arrived 95% of what I thought it was. One of things I really like is NO door-edge dings and the dealer assured me it was perfect. Well it wasn't. Not a deal breaker but dissapointing. How can you say perfect, unless you never bothered to look and then lied through your teeth. People lie, my wife reminds me.

My advice to get the CPO done, so you have some extra insurance if something major happens, then have someone with boots on the ground go and take a seriously detailed look. Make a list of the things you want covered, then do a FaceTime walk around the car. Sorry - I don't personally know anyone that lives there other than my millenial nephew but he's not a car guy and wouldn't have the detailed knowledge of what to look for.

Good luck!

PS. Maybe reverse the order, have a guy go and look at it on a FaceTime call first. Then if it's not what you want you won't spend the investement of the PPI.

Last edited by Zeus993; 06-11-2022 at 03:44 AM.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:32 AM
Puggz
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm from Ontario and purchased a new '20 GT4 from Rive-Sud in Montreal. Great experience but then again it was a new car. If its a used car of significant value I would recommend holding with a deposit and making a weekend out of visiting that great city. I would never fully trust anyone with a pre-owned, it can't be perfect. Also, Quebecers have a reputation for being hard on their cars, boats, etc etc.

In addition, I would ask for a printout to see if there's a pattern of abuse (over revs, etc), if it has PCCBs, id want to see it with the wheels off as there are so many DIYs out there I would want to be sure there' no nicks or chips. A shady dealer would most certainly want to save the $5k each replacement cost during CPI.

YMMV,

P
Old 06-12-2022, 12:03 PM
CathalMacIarnain
Intermediate

Good comments. I cannot make the trip there and unfortunately do not know anyone in Quebec. I was thinking the CPO would alleviate some risk, but perhaps CPO and get a PPI done on top of that would be better. Would you trust another Porsche dealership for PPI?
Old 06-12-2022, 01:10 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,765 Likes on 967 Posts

I'll tell you what I know from working at Audi for awhile. The worst cars we got were from Quebec, specifically with lauzon license plate holders (meaning they probably spent all their years in Quebec). Rough rough cars; body, paint, interior, mechanically. 90%+ of them were turds and these were 2-3 year old cars.

I can't speak for how honest dealers are there but if you want a destroyed car Quebec would be my first choice. I would never buy a car I care about from Quebec without seeing it in person first.
Old 06-13-2022, 03:32 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm in Quebec City if you want me to look at a car for you. Stellar experience with Quebec City and Lauzon dealerships in the past for me.
The following users liked this post:
gt3rs. (06-14-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 03:34 PM
CathalMacIarnain
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Inrev
I'm in Quebec City if you want me to look at a car for you. Stellar experience with Quebec City and Lauzon dealerships in the past for me.
I appreciate that very much, but unfortunately the vehicle is in Montreal.
Old 06-13-2022, 03:48 PM
destro
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey @CathalMacIarnain I had a few friends buy or try to buy Porsches out of Quebec. Quebec's disclosure laws are laxer than other Provinces so you can get a damaged/fixed car, and not have that disclosed. I had friends drive over from Ontario to Montreal to check out cars, and find the car was not advertised properly... ie... was painted or in a way rougher shape. Also, CPO is a bit of a sliding scale, some dealers will CPO cars with higher range overrevs, and I believe 2-3 panels can be painted. So unless you check out the car yourself it's a risk. Generally, Ontario and BC are safer to buy unseen. If a car is listed 10k under market in Quebec but appears clean, usually it isn't.
Old 06-13-2022, 03:54 PM
CathalMacIarnain
Intermediate

Originally Posted by destro
Hey @CathalMacIarnain I had a few friends buy or try to buy Porsches out of Quebec. Quebec's disclosure laws are laxer than other Provinces so you can get a damaged/fixed car, and not have that disclosed. I had friends drive over from Ontario to Montreal to check out cars, and find the car was not advertised properly... ie... was painted or in a way rougher shape. Also, CPO is a bit of a sliding scale, some dealers will CPO cars with higher range overrevs, and I believe 2-3 panels can be painted. So unless you check out the car yourself it's a risk. Generally, Ontario and BC are safer to buy unseen. If a car is listed 10k under market in Quebec but appears clean, usually it isn't.
Thank you for those excellent comments.
Old 06-13-2022, 04:42 PM
greengobln
Instructor

Received 215 Likes on 62 Posts

Got mine from Lauzon on Laval everything was perfect
gt3rs. (06-14-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 03:38 PM
LoadingPhil
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Previously bought from Lauzon in Laval and everything was perfect. The dealership in Montreal is owned by someone else though from what I know.
gt3rs. (06-14-2022)

Quick Reply: Any Experiences with Quebec Dealerships?