Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GTS 4.0 vs. 981 S

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 11:18 AM
nikuhina
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Default 718 GTS 4.0 vs. 981 S

Those who have one or the other: why did you buy what you have, over the alternative?

I have a 981 Agate Grey Metallic Boxster S with PDK and Soul Performance Valved exhaust. I love the sound and feeling of the engine and transmission.

I’m sure I’ll love the hard-top, bright color, more refined chassis and suspension, hatchback, low+mid range torque, and black rims. I am hesitant since I am not sure whether I will like the exhaust note - even aftermarket exhausts it sounds very… different… than the 3.4L in the 981. videos here. Unfortunately I can’t test drive any since there are none local.

Deposit (including markup) submitted to dealer this morning.

The following 2 users liked this post by nikuhina:
Cpt Voodoo (06-08-2022), drgav2005 (01-08-2023)
Old 06-07-2022, 11:23 AM
2PUTT
Rennlist Member

Received 408 Likes on 190 Posts

i believe the value of the GTS will hold better than the Boxster.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:28 AM
nikuhina
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2PUTT
i believe the value of the GTS will hold better than the Boxster.
I as well. Thankfully that is not my primary concern, but definitely won’t complain
Old 06-07-2022, 11:29 AM
Southbama
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

I sold a '14 Cayman S that I really liked for a new '22 Cayman GTS 4.0 for the larger engine and to get a modern ICE before they go electric. I would do it again today. The power and torque difference is substantial, and the GTS just executes everything in a better way, except for the exhaust note.
The following users liked this post:
Alpha Ice (06-07-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 11:31 AM
nikuhina
Instructor

Originally Posted by Southbama
I sold a '14 Cayman S that I really liked for a new '22 Cayman GTS 4.0 for the larger engine and to get a modern ICE before they go electric. I would do it again today. The power and torque difference is substantial, and the GTS just executes everything in a better way, except for the exhaust note.
thank you for your encouraging words! I suppose an aftermarket exhaust now seems more “necessary” than “optional” for me… perhaps I will be so in love with everything else new that it will be months before I get an aftermarket exhaust sorted
Old 06-07-2022, 11:39 AM
Southbama
Advanced

I purchased gently pre-owned OAP's from a fellow Rennlist member here and did away with the GPF's. Also installed collars on the exhaust valve plungers to keep them slightly open at all times. It doesnt sound like the 981S, but is much better than factory. You will enjoy the GTS, quite an improvement overall.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:41 AM
nikuhina
Instructor

I purchased gently pre-owned OAP's from a fellow Rennlist member here and did away with the GPF's. Also installed collars on the exhaust valve plungers to keep them slightly open at all times. It doesnt sound like the 981S, but is much better than factory. You will enjoy the GTS, quite an improvement overall.
forgive me, GPF means G? Particulate Filter?

yeah, from videos and hearing in person I’ve come to peace with the fact that they’ll never sound the SAME. I think I’ll be okay with that, as long as aftermarket options similarly unleash the SOUL of the exhaust and engine!
Old 06-07-2022, 11:48 AM
Southbama
Advanced

Gas particulate filter
Old 06-07-2022, 01:40 PM
DC021
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 135 Posts

Have both a 981 Boxster and a 982 Cayman w/ 4.0. I honestly prefer the 981 Boxster more, and is the car of choice for my wife and I when we are out.

Since we got the Boxster, the GT4 has been a trailer queen.
Old 06-07-2022, 01:51 PM
h_4711
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Have had a 981 S and changed it against a 718 GTS 4.0 (982) in 2021.
The GTS 4.0 is much more dynamic, has a nice, powerful sound above 4000 rpm and is in its basic version better equipped than the 981 S.
For the GTS, I expect a better stability of value, as it will be the last Boxster/Cayman with combustion engine.

But you have to accept a worse technical finish :

You can find plenty of threads and posts concerning the disadvantages :

-> condensation in tail lights
-> condensation in the Chrono watch
-> ticking noises at idle speed with many GTS 4.0 (so unfortunately with mine)

None of theses disadvantages I had with my 981 S.

Moreover the GTS 4.0 is set lower than the 981 S, so you have to take care of the many thresholds (sleeping policemen) in the streets.
Wide tires and protuding wheel rims may look nice for some folks but here in good old Germany with so many half-height curbs in narrow streets there is a permanent risk to damage the rims.

Summarizing I don't regret to have bought the GTS due to it's impressive sportivity, but the 981 S was a solid nice car without the described issues.
The following users liked this post:
Sarwar (10-11-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 01:59 PM
Nick_CT
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 21 Posts

I laughed out loud reading this. Reason being I have a 718 GTS 4.0 and I noticed condensation in the tail lights. Last week I noticed condensation in the Chrono watch. Seems I'm not the only one then! I'll have to trawl the threads to find out the down low.

Originally Posted by h_4711
Have had a 981 S and changed it against a 718 GTS 4.0 (982) in 2021.
The GTS 4.0 is much more dynamic, has a nice, powerful sound above 4000 rpm and is in its basic version better equipped than the 981 S.
For the GTS, I expect a better stability of value, as it will be the last Boxster/Cayman with combustion engine.

But you have to accept a worse technical finish :

You can find plenty of threads and posts concerning the disadvantages :

-> condensation in tail lights
-> condensation in the Chrono watch
-> ticking noises at idle speed with many GTS 4.0 (so unfortunately with mine)

None of theses disadvantages I had with my 981 S.

Moreover the GTS 4.0 is set lower than the 981 S, so you have to take care of the many thresholds (sleeping policemen) in the streets.
Wide tires and protuding wheel rims may look nice for some folks but here in good old Germany with so many half-height curbs in narrow streets there is a permanent risk to damage the rims.

Summarizing I don't regret to have bought the GTS due to it's impressive sportivity, but the 981 S was a solid nice car without the described issues.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:39 PM
Paiceyfan
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts

I did the same, except 2021...I agree...the GTS 4.0 is a different animal. Note, the '14 CS was a PDK and the new '21 GTS 4.0 was a manual. You can get good exhaust notes off the standard exhaust, you just have to work for them. Also...I think this is underplayed, but the auto-blip is seriously addictive in the GTS. I thought I would hate it being a purist, but it is so good, it is unreal.
Old 06-07-2022, 06:03 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,540 Likes on 859 Posts

I think you'll enjoy the GTS4.0 more. I'm def of the group of people who think the new 4.0 engine sounds better. Rode in a friends 718 GT4 and got to drive my friends 981 GT4, and I largely prefer how the 718 sounds.

That being said I found the experience in the 718 to be just more....together? If that's the right word? I don't want to use the word premium as that isn't accurate. But maybe its more I could feel the 4 year difference.
Old 06-07-2022, 06:11 PM
Paiceyfan
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts

Just a little more information...I loved my '14 CS, except for the door interior debacle and if I thought about the money a little more, I would not have bought the GTS...It was not $50k better than the CS...but it was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I took it. I don't regret it, but if I went back in time...
Old 06-07-2022, 06:14 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Paiceyfan
I did the same, except 2021...I agree...the GTS 4.0 is a different animal. Note, the '14 CS was a PDK and the new '21 GTS 4.0 was a manual. You can get good exhaust notes off the standard exhaust, you just have to work for them. Also...I think this is underplayed, but the auto-blip is seriously addictive in the GTS. I thought I would hate it being a purist, but it is so good, it is unreal.
I have to agree with this, while I enjoy doing my normal rev match, I'm not as comfortable in normal mode blipping the throttle as high up as I was in my previous 987.1S, but the tune and other goodies did help in the old car. This one just does it so well, and now that I have a proper setup, it really does make a world of difference!

I also agree with the previous statement about the collars on the valved exhaust system to give more natural tone to the exhaust at all rpms, and swapping out the rear section and/or OAPs/GPFs for something aftermarket. Do note that the oem system will drone some, but when you dial in the 718 exhaust, I think it sounds better than the old 3.4 unit it replaced, and the torque down low does work really well on this platform...the manual is still one of the best that I've had the pleasure of driving and the reviewers and most forum folks agree. I did swap out my stock GTS shifter with the Porsche short shift kit, I didn't want to have too much nvh that the numeric units tend to offer (albeit offering a bit better feel over the Porsche unit...it's still plenty snickity/wonderful as people have used to describe it)

Quick Reply: 718 GTS 4.0 vs. 981 S