Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Lotus Emira vs Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0 Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 02:48 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,452 Likes on 2,233 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteCrawlr
I just put Ohlins on my GTS and it drives so much better. Car is lower but still doesn't scrape and handles bumps without the jarring effect despite much stiffer springs. It is actually more comfortable than stock at certain settings probably all due to the difference in damping. Handles much closer to how I wanted as well - more planted, stiffer, sharper, and feels more agile. Don't miss PASM at all.
Can you start a GTS suspension thread and add your photos, costs, experiences etc.?
The following users liked this post:
Tigers10 (06-08-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 03:34 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Can you start a GTS suspension thread and add your photos, costs, experiences etc.?
Old 06-08-2022, 04:00 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteCrawlr
I just put Ohlins on my GTS and it drives so much better. Car is lower but still doesn't scrape and handles bumps without the jarring effect despite much stiffer springs. It is actually more comfortable than stock at certain settings probably all due to the difference in damping. Handles much closer to how I wanted as well - more planted, stiffer, sharper, and feels more agile. Don't miss PASM at all.

THIS!!

While I went with MCS 2-way remote dampers, not Ohlins, the car is 100% better. It is way more planted, the front-end and rear-end act as one, and there is none of that stock "pogo stick effect" .

My problem is that I came from a MRC equipped car and THAT is hard to beat from any passive damper, even a motorsport derived one.

Having said that, I have been playing with compression, rebound, sway bar settings, and tire pressure for a few mths now, and I finally am VERY close to having it optimized for street use.
Old 06-08-2022, 04:13 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Good idea. Will do it later tonight hopefully. I have a few more changes done as well and would like to hear from others who are more knowledgeable in suspensions than I am about where to go from here.
Old 06-08-2022, 06:17 PM
eXpensiveGears
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
If it anything like the Evora's evolution, the one to have will be the final "GT" version. The first Evora was alright, the S was better, the 400 was better still, and the GT was amazing. So, wait like 8 years to buy one?
THIS. I bet product planning has a "GT" or "Final Edition" planned with power around 475-500hp considering what the engine is capable of doing in the Radford Type 62-2.
Also, Komo-tec should be able to get these to 500hp as well. They already have the equipment/tuning from the Evora segment.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:27 PM
GentianGentleman
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Does anyone have Ohlins in their GT4 today? Was it worth the coin?
Old 06-08-2022, 09:42 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
This has been my previous experience with aftermarket suspensions. Even with firmer spring rates, they are much better damped and able to rebound a lot quicker. I wouldn't mind at all giving up pasm to have something like Bilstein or Ohlin's. When you add in the DSC to help bring the pasm setup into the newer generation, you're still losing some qualities you might want with a full coilover suspension. The Ohlin's are on my short list for next year.
Porsche use Bilstein generally..........................the brand doesn't matter - the valving, spring rates, presence or absence of helper, size of cylinder, oil type and amount, mono or dual, inverted, non-inverted - this is what matters and Porsche are expert at it and the have it fully balanced in terms of body torsional rigidity, wheel rate and ARB spring rate. Most after-market kits do very little and are largely illusory unless they are designed for a specific car with the understanding of the car as a whole and the primary use. Then the car has to be correctly corner weighted and height and rake adjusted.

Suspension modified cars often feel more planted at road speeds but fall apart at track speeds unless thought and experience has been brought to bear. With track set-ups you are literally buying the race engineers knowledge being applied to a set of adjustable dampers (and other components and performance drivers such as brake bias). It doesn't matter whether you buy Bilstein, KW, Ohlins, tractive etc - that is just myth.

Suspension design is focussed on controlling three vectors - pitch, roll and yaw under braking, acceleration and cornering - its a balancing act and unless you are measuring outcomes through time, yaw rates, lateral g, long g etc or designing outcomes on a shock dyno you are largely guessing. In my experience, most amateurs think they know what a good set up feels like but usually data disproves them.

It should be noted that most suppliers of aftermarket gear have rarely put the time into more high end cars - where as the designers and manufacturers put a huge amount of effort and collect endless amounts of data in order to get this right for a range of use scenarios. The reason Porsche GT cars in unmodified form are so quick round tracks is because of this data driven design effort.

Last edited by groundhog; 06-08-2022 at 09:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by groundhog:
manifold danger (06-12-2022), Montaver (06-09-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 12:12 AM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,275 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy

THE BIG SPORTSCAR TEST: LOTUS EMIRA VS PORSCHE CAYMAN VS ALPINE A110

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big...vs-alpine-a110
Some great photos in there.... its crazy how the Cayman GTS looks down right pedestrian next to the Emira. Interior of the GTS looks its age as well. I'm assuming the Porsche's drivetrain will end up being superior in most ways, but this is a category where emotion sells cars and that lotus stirs some serious emotion
jorijori (06-12-2023)
Old 06-09-2022, 08:07 AM
leaf345
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 82 Posts

Gorgeous looking car.
Old 06-09-2022, 10:08 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s
Some great photos in there.... its crazy how the Cayman GTS looks down right pedestrian next to the Emira. Interior of the GTS looks its age as well. I'm assuming the Porsche's drivetrain will end up being superior in most ways, but this is a category where emotion sells cars and that lotus stirs some serious emotion
Hmm - the Lotus looks like a kit car - its an Evora with a different body shell. The interior of the Lotus is fad based right down to the now out of date rectangular digital unit on/near the dash and squared off steering "wheel".

Mutton dressed as lamb.

Last edited by groundhog; 06-09-2022 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-09-2022, 02:04 PM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Hmm - the Lotus looks like a kit car - its an Evora with a different body shell. The interior of the Lotus is fad based right down to the now out of date rectangular digital unit on/near the dash and squared off steering "wheel".

Mutton dressed as lamb.
Is this the cliff notes to your post in #25? I get it. You don't like the Lotus.
Old 06-09-2022, 03:59 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
Porsche use Bilstein generally..........................the brand doesn't matter - the valving, spring rates, presence or absence of helper, size of cylinder, oil type and amount, mono or dual, inverted, non-inverted - this is what matters and Porsche are expert at it and the have it fully balanced in terms of body torsional rigidity, wheel rate and ARB spring rate. Most after-market kits do very little and are largely illusory unless they are designed for a specific car with the understanding of the car as a whole and the primary use. Then the car has to be correctly corner weighted and height and rake adjusted.

Suspension modified cars often feel more planted at road speeds but fall apart at track speeds unless thought and experience has been brought to bear. With track set-ups you are literally buying the race engineers knowledge being applied to a set of adjustable dampers (and other components and performance drivers such as brake bias). It doesn't matter whether you buy Bilstein, KW, Ohlins, tractive etc - that is just myth.

Suspension design is focussed on controlling three vectors - pitch, roll and yaw under braking, acceleration and cornering - its a balancing act and unless you are measuring outcomes through time, yaw rates, lateral g, long g etc or designing outcomes on a shock dyno you are largely guessing. In my experience, most amateurs think they know what a good set up feels like but usually data disproves them.

It should be noted that most suppliers of aftermarket gear have rarely put the time into more high end cars - where as the designers and manufacturers put a huge amount of effort and collect endless amounts of data in order to get this right for a range of use scenarios. The reason Porsche GT cars in unmodified form are so quick round tracks is because of this data driven design effort.

Sounds good in theory or if you are an engineer geeky type, however real world this is absolutely not true.

My stock GT4 is a good 20 MPH SLOWER on fast sweepers that have undulations and dips/bumps in them than my current MCS 2-way remote dampers are. And by high speed sweepers, I mean 100+. The car in stock form gets so unsettled.

In stock form, the front end and rear end do not talk well together and there is not enough rebound control. A large bump at speed on stock PASM has the rear-end extending all the way to the end of its travel and upsetting the car. With MCS, it is a quick one and done and very controlled rebound movement with not nearly the extension.

That is just one example, I drive my car hard and fast and on real world roads, not track roads that cater to high speed driving. The stock PASM is ONLY good when the roads are smooth and the suspension doesn't have to work very hard.

Old 06-09-2022, 04:42 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
Sounds good in theory or if you are an engineer geeky type, however real world this is absolutely not true.

My stock GT4 is a good 20 MPH SLOWER on fast sweepers that have undulations and dips/bumps in them than my current MCS 2-way remote dampers are. And by high speed sweepers, I mean 100+. The car in stock form gets so unsettled.

In stock form, the front end and rear end do not talk well together and there is not enough rebound control. A large bump at speed on stock PASM has the rear-end extending all the way to the end of its travel and upsetting the car. With MCS, it is a quick one and done and very controlled rebound movement with not nearly the extension.

That is just one example, I drive my car hard and fast and on real world roads, not track roads that cater to high speed driving. The stock PASM is ONLY good when the roads are smooth and the suspension doesn't have to work very hard.
Yeah, I have no problem taking sweepers at 100-120 without my car getting unsettled by bumps or undulations, so not sure what was wrong with your car when stock. I’ve been shocked by how planted my car is at these speeds. There’s so much downforce at those speeds that the car seems to feel more planted the faster I go, rather than less.

And I’d argue that the issue with the GT4 rear suspension isn’t a rebound issue, it’s a lack of high speed compression damping that causes the car to break loose momentarily in moderate speed driving.

Last edited by Archimedes; 06-09-2022 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-09-2022, 04:43 PM
Dr.JDK
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 78 Posts

We can watch reviews all we want, but in reality, driving is so subjective. There is only one way to figure it out, drive it back to back yourself. I did the comparison between 991.2 GT3/RS and 992 GT3, it was a day and night difference and you notice it right away. Many people on this forum say you cannot feel it because xxx review and yyy theory. For those folks, talk all you want because it is your right, but I am getting first-hand experience and unless you drove them all, I have more credibility than you on the driving feedback of those cars.
On this note, I am buying an emira and I will do the comparison with a 718 GT4, or spyder, or a GTS when I drive them back to back. I will share my driving impressions but note, it is going to be subjective.
jorijori (06-12-2023)
Old 06-09-2022, 04:59 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Yeah, I have no problem taking sweepers at 100-120 without my car getting unsettled by bumps or undulations, so not sure what was wrong with your car when stock. I’ve been shocked by how planted my car is at these speeds. There’s so much downforce at those speeds that the car seems to feel more planted the faster I go, rather than less.

And I’d argue that the issue with the GT4 rear suspension isn’t a rebound issue, it’s a lack of high speed compression damping that causes the car to break loose momentarily in moderate speed driving.

I can show you a couple of places where you can feel this in the South Bay. One is low speed 60MPH and under, the other is 100+. If you even want to meet up we can take the some corners , once in your car, once in mine.

I think it is both, compression too high and rebound too low. The too high of compression causes the skipping because it takes a lot of force to compress the shocks (which means too much compression damping force) and that also causes the pogo effect, then the rebound is too low because the rear extends too fast off the spring (again adding rebound will add more damping and slow the upward force)

Compression only affects the unsprung mass, rebound affects the weight of the car. I have learned A LOT about compression and rebound these last few months.

Quick Reply: Lotus Emira vs Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0 Reviews