Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

PPF questions to ask an installer

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 12:57 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 236 Posts
Default PPF questions to ask an installer

I am in the process of selecting a PPF installer in my area and I have shortlisted a couple of them based on online reviews. I come up a list of questions to ask them to finalize my pick. Let me know what other questions I should also be asking. TIA

PPF questions:
* what PPF film will be used
* how long to keep the car
* use pre-cut film or cut on car ?
* where will there be seams (if any) ?
* wrap edges ?
* will side intake grill be removed ?
* what will you do for area behind the rear wheels ?
* what is your workmanship guarantee policy & period ?
The following users liked this post:
Charles Everson (06-06-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 01:01 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,053 Likes on 2,102 Posts

Ask to see their work. I think having other cars, preferably like yours, that have been done by that same installer is key. That way you know what you'll likely be receiving.
rnrouss99 (06-08-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 01:28 PM
vtplm
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

That's a pretty good list. +1 on seeing their work especially on same or similar cars as well as the condition of their work area. I realized that even if you don't go matte, seeing their work on a matte car can really show their workmaship because they have to wrap the corners/edges/seams super well to hide the gloss.

One more thing to ask about is their pre-ppf prep and paint correction if needed.
rnrouss99 (06-08-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 01:42 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,615 Likes on 2,060 Posts

Drive on over and have a look/chat as well as read reviews.

It’s telling what the shop looks like and what they’re working on.

Xpel HQ here and cars are shipped in for work.
Old 06-04-2022, 02:08 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,765 Likes on 967 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Ask to see their work. I think having other cars, preferably like yours, that have been done by that same installer is key. That way you know what you'll likely be receiving.
I like that if you can see it some people's cars well after it was done. After they've washed the car a bunch or driven it for months or even years.

Only problem with seeing their work on soemthing they just did is you can't tell if the edges are going to lift everywhere a month later on something that is fresh in their shop. Minor bubbles and wrinkles that might sort themselves out quickly could make it look like crap if you see it right after they install it.
Old 06-04-2022, 02:17 PM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 401 Likes on 185 Posts

You gave me my Saturday morning laugh with:

"2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 - At Sea"

Never heard it put that way before...

Old 06-04-2022, 02:50 PM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 353 Posts

If you can find a shop where it's the owner of the shop doing the install, that's the best case scenario in my experience. It's OK if they have other people doing the prep work on the paint. But you want someone who is both experienced and invested in installing the product properly.

Some other good questions:

If you use computer-cut patterns to create the install pieces, do you extend them?
How do you cut film that is on the car? There are two possible safe ways I know of - 1) cutting tape (requires little skill) and 2) score just the top surface of the film (requires high skill)
Do you need to disassemble anything on the car? (Disassembly is NOT good IMO. A skilled installer should be able to tuck everything without the risk of taking anything apart.)
lowbee (06-04-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 03:51 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,053 Likes on 2,102 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
I like that if you can see it some people's cars well after it was done. After they've washed the car a bunch or driven it for months or even years.

Only problem with seeing their work on soemthing they just did is you can't tell if the edges are going to lift everywhere a month later on something that is fresh in their shop. Minor bubbles and wrinkles that might sort themselves out quickly could make it look like crap if you see it right after they install it.
Yes, this is a great idea. Obviously everyone is going to drive and care for the car differently, so those results may vary down the road. For instance, if someone took a pressure washer to an edge on a front bumper, it may be lifting, but this should be the exception not the rule if looking across multiple cars. Like you said, minor bubbles may work themselves out if seeing it right after the install.

With PPF, I do try and go with reviews from other people both online and in the car community. Typically there is a go-to guy and everyone has different expectations going in. I've talked with guys that were completely happy with their PPF install yet I didn't think it looked great and others that were showing me small details that I thought were fine and I'd expect to not be perfect in any solid PPF job.
Old 06-04-2022, 03:55 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 358 Posts

While my GT4 was in the installer's shop, two other Rennlisters in my area who were planning on getting PPF when their cars arrived arranged to meet me there mid-installation so they could see the work underway. Seeing how another person's install is going can help you understand what they do and how it should turn out. I'd recommend arranging a time to do this with the installer though, they probably won't want to stop mid-work on a section to talk with you.

As to the prior post, I chose an installation that needed some disassembly (like the front bumper so the seams at the bumper and fender could be tucked under) but we opted out of places like on the door or the rear that would have required more disassembly. I don't know how'd you get wrapped edges at tight panel joins without some disassembly, and you really want to PPF edges on forward facing edges tucked under (like the front edge of the fender), and you certainly don't want them cutting on the car. An experienced installer knows how to safely and minimally disassemble what is needed. I would be reluctant to have someone doing any disassembly if they haven't done it on my model of car before... so check to make sure they have done 718 installations.

Last edited by StormRune; 06-04-2022 at 04:02 PM.
Bearrun21 (06-07-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 04:20 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 269 Likes on 149 Posts

I had no experience with ppf before and really didn't know what to look for, but went with reputation alone and didn't ask any questions. Installer told me have the dealer take it out of transport mode and send it still in any wrappings. They disassembled the car as they went along and sent me a Google drive album as they worked. When I went to pick up the car, in my same bay there was an LFA, gt2rs and 2 991 speedsters also getting worked on. I felt comfortable with my decision. I agree with others ask to see other cars they've worked on
​​​​​​

Last edited by MEM82; 06-04-2022 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-04-2022, 07:44 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all your suggestions. Yes, I intend to visit the shops in person before awarding one of them my business. I have asked the shops to let me know when they are doing a 911 / Cayman / Boxster. They seems open to the idea, will see if I actually get a call 😆
Old 06-04-2022, 08:22 PM
Valeyard
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 38 Posts

You should make sure the installer is certified by the film manufacturer and ask about how they deal with headlights as well. In general, the number of seams will depend on how much disassembly they do. For example, the door handles, side mirrors, and the wing require disassembly in order to remove any seam around those areas. You should figure out your comfort level with different pieces getting disassembled. Keep in mind seams usually are more apparent on light color cars as they collect dust so you should take the color of the car into consideration as well. A good and experienced installer should be able to walk you through their approach for every single panel of the car on the phone.
Old 06-04-2022, 08:56 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Valeyard
....the door handles, side mirrors, and the wing require disassembly in order to remove any seam around those areas.....
Good to know but I don't think I will be wrapping those areas with PPF. One area of concern is the side intake so I will be asking questions on it

Originally Posted by Valeyard
.....Keep in mind seams usually are more apparent on light color cars as they collect dust so you should take the color of the car into consideration as well.....
This is excellent tip as I have racing yellow, thanks

Last edited by lowbee; 06-04-2022 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-04-2022, 09:22 PM
Kelsey
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

A few more things. If you have carbon fiber door sills ask the installer to cover them with wrap. Also, if you are wrapping the entire vehicle, have them add the rear wheel cutouts over the whole car wrap, that’s extra protection. If you are planning on tinting the windows ask when you do the wrap. My installer through in the tint at no charge.
Old 06-04-2022, 11:45 PM
edub
Pro

Received 340 Likes on 189 Posts

Not sure I agree with good installer = limited removal of parts. The good shops around here spend the time to remove parts and fully wrap the panel to reduce the # or visibility of seams. Thats what drives the cost up.

I'd probably just go to a cars and coffee event and see who has a good install and is happy with their installer support after the initial work is done. Look examples with full wraps, with matte ppf. That will show off the install the best.

Going to the shop to see fresh post installs is too dependent on them having a suitable work product around to show you that day.

Quick Reply: PPF questions to ask an installer