Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Struggling with Spyder purchase after test drive, owners advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 12:33 PM
chris8535
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Struggling with Spyder purchase after test drive, owners advice?

Before buying, I assume we all read and watched the gushing reviews and drawbacks on the 718 Spyder (PDK) and after I finally test drove it I found it to be a mixed bag of a vehicle that takes some work to enjoy vs the 2.5 718 GTS. I would love to know from longer term owners what I might be missing.

Context: live in San Francisco and hit hwy 1 every week. Currently one a cayenne GTS and formerly Taycan 4S+.

I’ve been in love with the Spyder for a long time purely from a looks perspective and when one showed up at my dealership I decided it was time to consider it.

Pros:
-Looks for sure
-NA engine characteristics
-The most direct ride I’ve had this side of maybe an RS product which I find to be a wildly unrealistic vehicle for anyone beyond the track.
- dedicated top down design

Cons:
- fun begins at 6000 rpm and nearly 70mph plus making it very hard to enjoy this vehicle in any street legal fashion
- sound below 5000 rpm is bizarrely quite like wtf
- direct as hell, does this get fatiguing?
- ADM seems to be for collectors while actual drivers take a ****ing dive on price with mileage. Making this car at current prices idiotic for people who enjoy driving
- canyon carving this car between 40-60 mph is really undramatic, the 2.5 GTS had me working the gears

Am I missing something that comes with having more than 2 hours with this car. Do you get better at finding the right right rev range and shifting? Off the track this car is a lot of work to have fun with and when you almost get there it feels like you’re cockblocked by speed limits (I’m talking 90 in a 65) and can’t get it even started in a canyon carving session.

What am I missing here? And please tell me because I think the GTS is far less good looking.
Old 06-05-2022, 12:46 AM
edub
Pro

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Alignment influences the directness a bit, but generally speaking the car is pretty feedback heavy. I don't find it fatiguing, although the bucket seat did give me issues until I adjusted the angle with a seat bracket.

PDK in my opinion, kills some of the fun. It's faster for sure but removes some of the interaction that makes pleasure driving interesting. YMMV and this is a great debate topic on the forums.

I'd say yes, you are missing things with only 2 hours, 40mph is not interesting in this car, and the gearing is a bit long.

I drove most of Hwy1 and enjoyed it, whether I was at the top of 2nd or mid range in 3rd. No complaints

If I was able, I'd still add a Miata to my stable for the rowdy canyon driving at lower speeds.

There are solutions to the issues you described; different gears, exhaust or suspension bits that can change how the car feels. I won't defend the platform, it is what it is and you're right to question if its worth it.

You might consider a 911 chassis and see how that compares to your criteria. I would really like to be able to compare with a GT3, I think I would like it more out of the box than I do the GT4.
The following users liked this post:
chris8535 (06-05-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 01:07 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,762 Likes on 692 Posts

I’m not sure I can give you useful advice because my experience with the car is so different. I moved from a Turbo S to the Spyder because I found the Turbo somewhat boring unless I was setting 0-60 records from stoplights or risking jail level top speeds. The Spyder is slower, but by far the most fun car I’ve owned. I find it plenty fast and fun to drive fast or slow. I went with a manual and have never been bothered by the gearing. For the price, I think the smile per mile ROI is higher than any other Porsche.

Perhaps give it a few more long drives to see if you fall in love. Maybe you prefer the feeling of a turbo engine? If so, now would be a good time to sell…still very much in demand.

A Kline, JCR or Soul exhaust along with a valve controller can fix the sound below 5k.

The following 5 users liked this post by Jeff Jones:
catdog2 (06-05-2022), chris8535 (06-05-2022), Larry Cable (06-05-2022), Underblu (01-07-2023), YTownSpyder (06-09-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 01:18 AM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,540 Likes on 859 Posts

Keep in mind this is basically a convertible GT4. Youre buying a racecar. Its going to be raw, you're going to feel everything. A comfy ride this is not (compared to say a 911 or Taycan).

I can definetly understand the frustration with dealing with a high revving NA motor. There isnt that turbo torque (like in your Cayenne) or the instant torque from the Taycan where you can have small bursts of fun. The beauty of an engine like this is to stay in a low gear on twisty roads (like second gear) and keep yourself above 5000 RPM. Hell in some situations you might even be in first.

Personally if i were to get a convertible i'd go with the BGTS 4.0 Yes it doesnt look as good but it has a lower redline (7k) which allow you to actually get to shift every now and then. Its also got completley different suspension so its going to be a much more comfortable drive. I used to have an S2000 and i test drove a 981 BGTS and the car felt exactly like the S2000 just without all the rawness. If you are asking if it being so direct gets fatiguing, then you will get fatigued.

That being said, as some others have said, i think you'd enjoy the 911 chassis more. The turbo gives more oomph down low, and the car is a lot more luxury which will allow the nice cruises along Highway 1 to be really enjoyed.
chris8535 (06-05-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 03:17 AM
chris8535
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
I’m not sure I can give you useful advice because my experience with the car is so different. I moved from a Turbo S to the Spyder because I found the Turbo somewhat boring unless I was setting 0-60 records from stoplights or risking jail level top speeds. The Spyder is slower, but by far the most fun car I’ve owned. I find it plenty fast and fun to drive fast or slow. I went with a manual and have never been bothered by the gearing. For the price, I think the smile per mile ROI is higher than any other Porsche.

Perhaps give it a few more long drives to see if you fall in love. Maybe you prefer the feeling of a turbo engine? If so, now would be a good time to sell…still very much in demand.

A Kline, JCR or Soul exhaust along with a valve controller can fix the sound below 5k.
So to the end of spending more time with an NA engine I rented a 981S Boxster and after 2 days with it I thoroughly fell in love. Wonder if the same goes for the Spyder or if the 3.8 in the S is just rev happy and softer.
Old 06-05-2022, 03:48 AM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

Fun begins above 6000RPM for the 718 Spyder but you liked the 981 Spyder?. Are you sure you test drove a 718 Spyder?

I owned/own both and my experience is completely the opposite The 4.0 has torque up and down rev range unlike the 981 Spyder which felt sluggish under 5000 RPM particularly when mated with the long geared MT. To me the X73 in the 981 Spyder felt less damped and more fatigue inducing than the 718 which has dual settings but that is more subjective.

Your comments don’t make much sense. Also it’s strange that you don’t make any reference to MT in the 981 Spyder you rented vs the PDK in the 718 Spyder in your follow up post.

Maybe you should take another 718 Spyder “test drive”. Afaic, it’s the best sub $200k open top sports car on planet earth and one of the last true Porsche bargains if any 6 figure vehicle can be truly called a bargain.

Last edited by Underblu; 06-05-2022 at 03:53 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Underblu:
Bearrun21 (06-06-2022), Cpt Voodoo (06-06-2022), Larry Cable (06-05-2022), Ramon Vennik (06-05-2022), StilettoPat (06-06-2022), UncleDude (06-05-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-05-2022, 08:53 AM
ttcbj
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 120 Posts

+1 on the Miata for 40mph roads. I’d absolutely own one again if i was not 6’4” tall.

I find I really enjoy the BGTS on 55mph rural/twisty roads with 35mph advisories. For me, that’s the sweet spot. I agree that 35-40mph is not that engaging in these cars.

Knowing how I use the car now, (I take 3 hour drives every few weeks during warmish weather) I’d still buy it but I’d switch to either a spyder (the looks!) or a gt4 (so I could track it). Tracking these cars is another way to fully enjoy them.
Old 06-05-2022, 09:41 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 727 Likes on 440 Posts

Speed limits are not these cars’ best friend to be honest. The suspension technology has gotten so good, along with the tires, that the car will stick to the road like glue driving within the speed limits. So a GTS might be better suited with narrower wheels and tires, yet same engine, transmission and redline (8k vs 7.8k). Read someone here posted GTS rev limiter is 7,000 rpms but it’s 7,800, making it essentially the same between two cars.

Exhaust is a bit underwhelming in stock form until the flaps open. As others have said if you do OAP and valve controller it will easily resolve the issue. Considering the OAPs come by quite easily in the marketplace here, you’re looking at about $2k additional cost (plus labor) on top of the car.
chris8535 (06-05-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 11:10 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by chris8535
Before buying, I assume we all read and watched the gushing reviews and drawbacks on the 718 Spyder (PDK) and after I finally test drove it I found it to be a mixed bag of a vehicle that takes some work to enjoy vs the 2.5 718 GTS. I would love to know from longer term owners what I might be missing.

Context: live in San Francisco and hit hwy 1 every week. Currently one a cayenne GTS and formerly Taycan 4S+.

I’ve been in love with the Spyder for a long time purely from a looks perspective and when one showed up at my dealership I decided it was time to consider it.

Pros:
-Looks for sure
-NA engine characteristics
-The most direct ride I’ve had this side of maybe an RS product which I find to be a wildly unrealistic vehicle for anyone beyond the track.
- dedicated top down design

Cons:
- fun begins at 6000 rpm and nearly 70mph plus making it very hard to enjoy this vehicle in any street legal fashion
- sound below 5000 rpm is bizarrely quite like wtf
- direct as hell, does this get fatiguing?
- ADM seems to be for collectors while actual drivers take a ****ing dive on price with mileage. Making this car at current prices idiotic for people who enjoy driving
- canyon carving this car between 40-60 mph is really undramatic, the 2.5 GTS had me working the gears

Am I missing something that comes with having more than 2 hours with this car. Do you get better at finding the right right rev range and shifting? Off the track this car is a lot of work to have fun with and when you almost get there it feels like you’re cockblocked by speed limits (I’m talking 90 in a 65) and can’t get it even started in a canyon carving session.

What am I missing here? And please tell me because I think the GTS is far less good looking.
Nothing about this car is fatiguing, the sound even without an aftermarket exhaust is alluring, the 4.0l delivers at all RPM, and if you find canyon driving undramatic in this car you are not driving it!

Your Pros seem like Cons the way you are listing them, if you re not looking for a sharp connected GT car experience then I would say that the Spyder is not the car for you, stick with the 2.5T GTS.
The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
chris8535 (06-05-2022), UncleDude (06-05-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 11:15 AM
chris8535
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Underblu
Fun begins above 6000RPM for the 718 Spyder but you liked the 981 Spyder?. Are you sure you test drove a 718 Spyder?

I owned/own both and my experience is completely the opposite The 4.0 has torque up and down rev range unlike the 981 Spyder which felt sluggish under 5000 RPM particularly when mated with the long geared MT. To me the X73 in the 981 Spyder felt less damped and more fatigue inducing than the 718 which has dual settings but that is more subjective.

Your comments don’t make much sense. Also it’s strange that you don’t make any reference to MT in the 981 Spyder you rented vs the PDK in the 718 Spyder in your follow up post.

Maybe you should take another 718 Spyder “test drive”. Afaic, it’s the best sub $200k open top sports car on planet earth and one of the last true Porsche bargains if any 6 figure vehicle can be truly called a bargain.
981 boxster S not spyder. 3.4 my bad. No need for accusations when I think you just misread

Last edited by chris8535; 06-05-2022 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:42 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Originally Posted by chris8535
So to the end of spending more time with an NA engine I rented a 981S Boxster and after 2 days with it I thoroughly fell in love. Wonder if the same goes for the Spyder or if the 3.8 in the S is just rev happy and softer.
The 981 Boxster S had a 3.4L.

You seem to indicate that the 3.4L is more “rev happy”? I had a 3.4L equipped Spyder and don’t know how you can draw that conclusion.

The 718 GT 4.0’s redline is much higher at 8K and makes peak HP at 7600 vice 6700. TQ curve is higher and broader. All this points to the 718 more “rev happy”.

The ~ extra 100 HP and 40 TQ is not insignificant as you head to 8000.

Unsure what kind of test drives you are going on but your subjective comparative remarks seem off base…

Generally, threads like this one RL would respond with “drive them and chose which stirs your soul…”. Since you have done that and prefer the 981 or 718 T4 I’d say go with one of those.

You either love/get the 718 Spyder or don’t…you shouldn’t need to be convinced or told on what your missing.
The following 3 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
Larry Cable (01-06-2023), ronbauer (01-06-2023), wizee (06-05-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 11:56 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,044 Likes on 559 Posts

How many miles on the Spyder that you drove? I found the exhaust noise changed a bit after more mileage. Lots of aftermarket options if you are still not happy.

Yeah if you like to row gears at the redline on the street, Spyder is not for you. Or you can re-gear a manual car.

Mine is manual and that makes it more fun for me without going to the redline all the time.

I am fortunate enough to have Miata as an option. 1/3 the price. Less sophisticated IMO, and obviously less capable than Spyder. Still fun but different. 10/10 street driving in the Miata up to third gear and still not really breaking any traffic laws. Having said that, the Miata hasn’t been off the lift since I picked up the Spyder 6 weeks ago. Still enjoying my honeymoon with the Spyder.

The following 4 users liked this post by Dyim:
brucewinter (06-05-2022), chris8535 (06-05-2022), StilettoPat (06-06-2022), vrae2009 (06-07-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 12:00 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

I’d go PDK. I went with a PDK for my 718 GT4. MY 981 GT4 had a manual and I definitely prefer the PDK in this car. Haven’t once wished I had gone the manual route.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alan C.:
James88 (06-05-2022), needmoregarage (06-05-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 12:07 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

OP, the 718 Spyder is a very different car than any of the standard 718s, and even the 981 Spyder. Most of your comments hit the nail on the head, save maybe for the fatigue one, so I would make your decision based on the assessment that you made during your test ride. I’ve said from the beginning that both the 718 GT4 and Spyder are harder edged cars than many buyers will realize or accept, and they’re probably not the best car for many owners.
Old 06-05-2022, 12:34 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

To add on to the already copious opinions above, some of which I agree with and some not:
(1) manual vs PDK obviously beaten to death but I have a manual and had PDK cars; manual may add more to the “engagement” below 6K RPM (subjective).
(2) I just came back from a short jaunt and notice the car exhaust /valves seem to become “livelier” the longer and harder you drive it. I don’t know if there is any engineering reason behind this but the car feels louder at all revs, steering more supple and direct, and suspension slightly more compliant? Perhaps others have noticed this. TLDR: small test drives may not reveal the full character of these cars.
(3) Add Cargraphic valve controller ($500) and valves stay open rather than closing from 2-4K which significantly increases low rev driving pleasure.
(4) Fatigue may come from the added noises that a GT car makes due to less noise insulation. This is easily ameliorated on a Spyder by driving open top, but it is a trade off for a GT car.
(5) Tracking the car will significantly increase ownership satisfaction, even if it’s twice a year, as you can fully appreciate what your GT car (and some of the aforementioned trade-offs) was made for.
(6) ADM and cost aside, these cars were made to be driven. IMO, the car has only gotten better with time and miles. But yea, if that is a concern try to find a MSRP dealer or higher mileage car with less cost (I know easier said than done).

The following 2 users liked this post by Sharm:
Larry Cable (06-05-2022), StilettoPat (06-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Struggling with Spyder purchase after test drive, owners advice?