Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion and Parade Laps

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 07:26 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts
Default Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion and Parade Laps

For those that attended this in 2021 and maybe planning to attend again in 2022, can you share your experience with this event and how the Parade Laps were coordinated? From what I'm reading, the Parade Laps are TBD in terms of date and time but for those that went in 2021, what was the date and time for the Porsche Parade Laps?

Can you clarify/confirm how you get to participate cuz from what I can tell, you have to purchase the Car Corral parking pass which is $150 per car. It says that this purchase includes a commemorative hat and parade laps and general admission tickets still need to be purchased separately. It looks like the cheapest admission ticket is $100 per person so basically if you want to do parade laps and park with other Porsches, it will cost about $350.

Can anybody confirm if I'm reading this correctly?

https://www.co.monterey.ca.us/home/s...22418747430000
Old 05-05-2022, 09:25 PM
bswift
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

If those descriptions are accurate they've changed it from last year with corral passes now being per car and not per occupant. Last year it was a package deal inclusive of parking and GA at $175 for the driver and $150 each for passengers, so not far off from the $350 total you came up with.

Parade laps last year were late afternoon on Sunday and we received the schedule about a week prior to the event. We signed waivers in the PCA tent/corral, then cars were staged and grouped by marque 30 minutes or so before the start time. I think we did two, maybe three laps around highway speeds.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:20 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Interesting to hear that they changed the pricing structure. I guess considering how everything has gone up in price, $25 increase isn't too bad especially considering they give you a commemorative hat too.

As far as the parade lap, was it only on Sunday afternoon or did you have a choice to go on Saturday too? I would be leaving on Sunday to drive back down to SoCal so a Sunday afternoon parade lap isn't going to work especially if it's later in the day.

Wondering if maybe this year, the schedule has changed because the landing page https://www.co.monterey.ca.us/govern...nterey-reunion for the event shows that it's from Wednesday to Saturday this year. Maybe they figured that Sunday was a travel home day so they lost a lot of attendance so switching to Saturday as the last day. If so, hoping that the parade laps happen on Saturday.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:49 PM
bswift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Interesting to hear that they changed the pricing structure. I guess considering how everything has gone up in price, $25 increase isn't too bad especially considering they give you a commemorative hat too.

As far as the parade lap, was it only on Sunday afternoon or did you have a choice to go on Saturday too? I would be leaving on Sunday to drive back down to SoCal so a Sunday afternoon parade lap isn't going to work especially if it's later in the day.

Wondering if maybe this year, the schedule has changed because the landing page https://www.co.monterey.ca.us/govern...nterey-reunion for the event shows that it's from Wednesday to Saturday this year. Maybe they figured that Sunday was a travel home day so they lost a lot of attendance so switching to Saturday as the last day. If so, hoping that the parade laps happen on Saturday.
It was just the one slot on Sunday afternoon for all marques without a marque specific parade slot. Turnout did seem lower last year than in years past so that may play a role in how things are scheduled/structured this year. If the last day is Saturday that makes it much easier as I don't think we ended up heading back down south until after 5pm on Sunday, which was not ideal.

While the laps were cool, if schedules align I'd get the pass again this year with or without them. We much preferred the corral parking experience and being able to go straight from the PCA tent to the car at the end of each day.

Old 05-06-2022, 08:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by bswift
It was just the one slot on Sunday afternoon for all marques without a marque specific parade slot. Turnout did seem lower last year than in years past so that may play a role in how things are scheduled/structured this year. If the last day is Saturday that makes it much easier as I don't think we ended up heading back down south until after 5pm on Sunday, which was not ideal.

While the laps were cool, if schedules align I'd get the pass again this year with or without them. We much preferred the corral parking experience and being able to go straight from the PCA tent to the car at the end of each day.
dont really see the appeal of a parade lap - if you want to lap LS - go to a trackday!
Old 05-06-2022, 10:01 PM
bswift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
dont really see the appeal of a parade lap - if you want to lap LS - go to a trackday!
Agreed, HPDE would definitely be preferable for me as well but if you're not ready to jump into that addiction or are otherwise not able to ride right seat it's a great way to experience an iconic track. There were plenty of kids that were able to take part in the parade laps and I can't think of an HPDE I've run that allowed anyone under 18 to be a passenger on track.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (05-07-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 12:25 AM
Merlotsj
Racer

Received 330 Likes on 133 Posts

I think every PCA event had instructors doing “demo” laps with anybody that had a helmet and wanted to ride. Go as a spectator even if you don’t enter to drive, any event offering HPDE wether club racing is going on in conjunction or not probably does the same. Club racing without HPDE in conjunction may not though. It is much better even in a passenger seat at pace than driving it at parade speeds IMHO.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (05-07-2022)

Quick Reply: Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion and Parade Laps