Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Sold my GT4 for a....

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 01:21 AM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 269 Likes on 149 Posts

Beautiful m2 congrats!
Here is my beloved e36.

The following users liked this post:
josephr25 (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 08:09 AM
baege
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Driven both, owned a number of ///M cars (E92, 1M, F80). The 718 is a more precise tool, however the ///M is more wild and exciting. The MT action in the ///M is not great though. Personally I don't see these cars being comparable. The 718 is IMO the most pure and balanced sports car available, as to which one is more fun, that depends on what you are after. Both fantastic machines.
my sentiments exactly
different kinds of fun, depends on what floats your boat

I liked the hooligan nature of the m2 and the way it rotates around you in the corners with its compact dimensions

but for me the 4.0 engine is a master piece and the s55 just can't compare in stirring the soul

put the 4.0 in the M2C chassis and it would be a tough call for me as to which car I would pick
Old 05-06-2022, 08:25 AM
msos
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a GT3 Touring and M2 Competion and both always put smiles on my face!! Nice to have 2 cars if you can...................
JAhmed (05-08-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 08:27 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,032 Likes on 1,745 Posts

The M240, and M2 are a lot of car for the money on paper. A friend just got the M240. It looks nice. I haven't driven either so this thread is interesting to read.

​​​​​​I owned a 2011 328 RWD Msport with manual, 4 door. It was one of the best handing, well balanced, great hydraulic steering cars I've ever driven. I loved that car. Drove it daily for 115k miles. I still miss it.

My CGTS so far is making me a huge fan of mid engine balanced handling and power delivery. I love the smallness of the car and precise steering. I'm loving this car. And the fact that it's got twice the HP over the Bimmer doesn't hurt. Now if only it had a V8 in it...

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 05-06-2022 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:04 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 828 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by remington
5 months ago a friend wanted out of his 2020 GT4 manual. I was in a base 981 and his price was fair so I jumped at it, paid cash, sold my 981 to the local dealer for a fair price (more than I paid). It was always a dream of mine to own a GT car and I was not disappointed. I absolutely loved that car, truly amazing. 5 months later I get a very good offer (more than I paid including tax) and took it. I will miss it. I do not enjoy tracking my cars (too fussy about keeping it pristine), it's purely a canyon carver on the weekend for me, so I felt that in that way it wasn't the perfect fit for me. It was a thrill to own and the fact that it only cost me gas is a huge bonus. I will probably get back into a 718 GTS 4.0 at some point, probably more suited to my weekend canyons mission, but won't feel as special.

Meanwhile I bought a 2021 BMW M2 manual trans, 405 hp/406 torque. I realize I will get s**t here for admitting that, but it's a very fun car, works well as a weekend canyons carver, and it was slightly more than half what the GT4 sold for. I've had a E46 M3 and an E36 M3 back in the day, but it's been a long time. I feel like the M2 is the spiritual successor to my E46 M3.

remington,

Enjoy your new to you 2021 BMW M2 with 405 hp/406 torque.
It is a Power-House no doubt.

I've owned a lot of BMW's over the years.
Older models ..............

Terry
Old 05-06-2022, 10:20 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,828 Likes on 888 Posts

I used to be a BMW fanboy and have owned many Ms. My previous car purchase, I was debating between a Giulia QV and an M2. However, BMW had left a bad taste in my mouth from an X5 diesel that I had custom ordered from BMW and always serviced at BMW. In the end, I went with the QV.

The minute the warranty ran out on the X5, everything started to fail costing me thousands of dollars in repairs. The icing on the cake was that there was a recall/service bulletin on the urea injection system where the tanks would get gunked up, clog, and fail. BMW agreed with the federal government to extend the warranty on the tank and the entire emissions system and issue a service bulletin in order not to have to issue a recall. My X5 went into limp mode one month out of base warranty but well within the federally mandated extended warranty. BMW troubleshot it and said my tank was fine BUT the sensor in the tank had gone bad. Of course, the sensor was integrated in the tank and the entire system had to be replaced. However, according to BMW corporate, the sensor was not part of the emissions system (even though the vehicle would not run without it) and I was out of pocket for the $2,400 repair. I escalated it with corporate BMW and they agreed to discount the price but not cover it.

I was in between moving homes and starting a new job so I didn't have the bandwidth to take them to court so I paid it, repaired it, and sold it. That was the last BMW that I owned. Amazing how companies can be so penny wise but pound foolish. Before that, I always had at least one BMW in my garage.

Last edited by MaddMike; 05-06-2022 at 10:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MaddMike:
josephr25 (05-06-2022), unclemat (05-06-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 06:33 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,453 Likes on 520 Posts

BMW M2 Competiton...if it's good enough for Chris Harris to daily, it's good enough for me
The following 2 users liked this post by remington:
Alan C. (05-08-2022), Larry Cable (05-08-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 06:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
I used to be a BMW fanboy and have owned many Ms. My previous car purchase, I was debating between a Giulia QV and an M2. However, BMW had left a bad taste in my mouth from an X5 diesel that I had custom ordered from BMW and always serviced at BMW. In the end, I went with the QV.

The minute the warranty ran out on the X5, everything started to fail costing me thousands of dollars in repairs. The icing on the cake was that there was a recall/service bulletin on the urea injection system where the tanks would get gunked up, clog, and fail. BMW agreed with the federal government to extend the warranty on the tank and the entire emissions system and issue a service bulletin in order not to have to issue a recall. My X5 went into limp mode one month out of base warranty but well within the federally mandated extended warranty. BMW troubleshot it and said my tank was fine BUT the sensor in the tank had gone bad. Of course, the sensor was integrated in the tank and the entire system had to be replaced. However, according to BMW corporate, the sensor was not part of the emissions system (even though the vehicle would not run without it) and I was out of pocket for the $2,400 repair. I escalated it with corporate BMW and they agreed to discount the price but not cover it.

I was in between moving homes and starting a new job so I didn't have the bandwidth to take them to court so I paid it, repaired it, and sold it. That was the last BMW that I owned. Amazing how companies can be so penny wise but pound foolish. Before that, I always had at least one BMW in my garage.
by the time the lease expired on my X5 I was ready to use it for heavy weapons practice, .50 BMG, RPG... would love to have tried a Javelin on it!
MaddMike (05-09-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 06:52 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
yes however - "you can put lipstick on a pig - but its still a pig" - its all in the eye of the beholder, but you could not give me a GM - (I think they hired their designers from Mattel's "Hot Wheels division) they do nothing for me other than make me slightly nauseous - YMMV
The good thing about them is you don’t have to look at them too long as they stretch their legs out front.🤣
Old 05-08-2022, 08:30 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,344 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by remington
5 months ago a friend wanted out of his 2020 GT4 manual. I was in a base 981 and his price was fair so I jumped at it, paid cash, sold my 981 to the local dealer for a fair price (more than I paid). It was always a dream of mine to own a GT car and I was not disappointed. I absolutely loved that car, truly amazing. 5 months later I get a very good offer (more than I paid including tax) and took it. I will miss it. I do not enjoy tracking my cars (too fussy about keeping it pristine), it's purely a canyon carver on the weekend for me, so I felt that in that way it wasn't the perfect fit for me. It was a thrill to own and the fact that it only cost me gas is a huge bonus. I will probably get back into a 718 GTS 4.0 at some point, probably more suited to my weekend canyons mission, but won't feel as special.

Meanwhile I bought a 2021 BMW M2 manual trans, 405 hp/406 torque. I realize I will get s**t here for admitting that, but it's a very fun car, works well as a weekend canyons carver, and it was slightly more than half what the GT4 sold for. I've had a E46 M3 and an E36 M3 back in the day, but it's been a long time. I feel like the M2 is the spiritual successor to my E46 M3.

No shame there unless you keep it past 50,001 miles. Have fun.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:33 PM
boss2k
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

You will regret your decision soon , although its a good car no where in P class. I had a M2C for 4 months and sold it for a vette which i like much better
Old 05-09-2022, 12:16 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by boss2k
You will regret your decision soon , although its a good car no where in P class. I had a M2C for 4 months and sold it for a vette which i like much better
So how’s the new Dodge Ram 2500?🤣
Old 05-09-2022, 12:19 PM
boss2k
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
So how’s the new Dodge Ram 2500?🤣
Plenty fast and excellent 😀
Old 05-09-2022, 01:52 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 26 Posts

Here’s to another GT4 + E46 M3 combo. Still surprised how special the M3 feels after all these years. Great cars both of them.
Old 05-09-2022, 03:07 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

If I remember correctly, Chris Harris has a video outlining the difference between M2C and M2CS. Apparently, the M2CS's suspension is way better than M2C. I've missed the opportunity to buy an M2CS when they launched it. I really likes the blue worth autumn gold wheels. I would not have a problem using that car as daily (I have been commuting with a GP3 with no issues related to comfort). I once made the mistake to buy an M5C for daily driving to work and for someone who drives alone 99% of the time, it is a lot of weight to carry around, with lots of unusable power in the US. I think M2C or M2CS are in the sweet spots for daily driving abs having a bit of fun to abs form work. Not perfect, but in between a very competent canyon carver/track day car and a do all things car. Perhaps it is just me, but after using softer cars in my commute, which includes some twisty roads , I get annoyed with body roll and excessive weight.

Quick Reply: Sold my GT4 for a....