Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

next gen GT cars may still be "ICE" (Porsche and Audi enter F1!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2022 | 09:21 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by unclemat
Fallacy. Competitiveness where?

The complexity/weight/cost involved does not have universally wide appeal. The companies should look back and take note why classic "analog" cars are in demand.
Originally Posted by enduro

Big ones for me is the weight (killer if you actually track a car) and the fact that EVs are at least currently heavily designed for the video game set as opposed to drivers. Porsche could address the latter, but the tech doesn't exist to address the former without abysmal range.
Toyota's, etc al, solid state batteries could solve that:

Old 05-03-2022 | 09:26 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Great news if you’re an F1 fan (I’m a new one). An Audi team and a Porsche engine supply in various teams would add to the experience if you’re a fan of the brand.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (05-04-2022)
Old 05-03-2022 | 09:59 PM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Audi hasn't announced the nature of their involvement, but I I don't think they will enter as a team. It's probably half a billion or more to establish the infrastructure and hire staff, and the anti-dilution clause in F1's agreement means that there is an entry fee of several hundred million for a new constructor. Can't see VAG authorizing that kind of money. More than likely that they will join up with another team like Porsche is rumoured to be doing with Red Bull Powertrains.

Re synthetic fuel - Porsche is a partner in a green powered facility in Chile that is or shortly will be producing synthetic fuel. Its currently pretty expensive stuff and is unlikely to fuel passenger cars for a while yet, but it is promising.

https://techcrunch.com/2022/04/06/po...t-sports-cars/
Old 05-03-2022 | 10:19 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
Toyota's, etc al, solid state batteries could solve that:

https://youtu.be/YqOWkP_QLPo
When they do, that's when I'll be on board. Obviously electric has better power delivery and responsiveness, and its motor is much lower weight and complexity.
Old 05-03-2022 | 10:38 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

There will also be additional issues, at least for the US. Once everyone's charging EVs, the grid's going to get loaded and I expect there will be calls to limit powerful EVs because the grid can't handle it. Second, the kind of charging mentioned in the vids won't be supported by typical home feeds.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (05-04-2022)
Old 05-04-2022 | 12:59 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adrift
The 296 is a monster. Endurance racing top tier are hybrids.

Exactly where is the fallacy? (besides thinking ICE can survive based on nostalgia).

The whole point of Porsche GT cars is to be at the head of the pack.
Except that the 296 GT3 is a straight V6, non-hybrid.
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-track-in-2023
Old 05-04-2022 | 12:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Except that the 296 GT3 is a straight V6, non-hybrid.
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-track-in-2023
that is one SEXY Ferrari ... long live the dinosaur juice!
Old 05-04-2022 | 06:04 PM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Synthetic fuels will only be for carbon offsets requirements, not something for mass-market general public use. It's too limited and too expensive, and they aren't going to develop a road car with that in mind in this decade. EVs and ICE vehicles also use entirely different architectures as well. You're not putting an ICE engine on a skateboard chassis.

Quick Reply: next gen GT cars may still be "ICE" (Porsche and Audi enter F1!)