Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Manual Air Conditioning System owners chime in please

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2022 | 01:32 AM
F1-DNA
Rennlist Member

I keep having the same debate… Numbers or not it functions the same way if you don’t care about the auto feature which I don’t.

Question:
Is there any other difference between the two systems? I see in the configurator it states:

An active carbon filter traps particles, pollen and odors and thoroughly filters fine dust out of the outside air before it can reach the interior.”

Does the single zone system not have these filters ?
Old 04-15-2022 | 03:46 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

OK, I'll jump in. My last two 987.2 Spyders were both AC delete, single-zone climate controls so I ordered the same in my 718 Spyder, just with AC this time.

What's the fuss? There isn't any. I drive 98% of the time with the top down, by myself, hit the heat if it's a bit chilly and things are good and toasty.

Any other regrets on my build? Maybe hit the "Summer Tire" box to have Michelin PS4's (mine came with Cup 2's but their jiggy as heck in a little bit of moisture). I'll probably upgrade the base sound system at some point in time as a) I don't like the over-hyped BOSE system and b) didn't want to pony up for the Burmester in a cab with all the wind noise.

Otherwise, I NEVER think of Dual-climate control as I am the only one in the car. My wife refuses to drive with me in it.

JP
The following users liked this post:
dnimi123 (04-18-2022)
Old 04-15-2022 | 08:16 AM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Lol…legit question.

Ras, you should download the Porsche Good to Know app. Lots of good poop in there.
Old 04-15-2022 | 08:43 AM
rost12
Racer

I'm in the "dual zone" is a must, not for the dual zone function, but for the "auto" function. In 99% of my driving, I just set the temperature at 21C, push auto and never think about it again. Worth it!
The following 3 users liked this post by rost12:
JAhmed (04-15-2022), RennSportV8 (12-14-2023), UncleDude (04-17-2022)
Old 04-15-2022 | 08:43 AM
Rasputin.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bents
Its an app you can download from the App Store (should be on Google play as well). It’s basically the owners manual for the 718 (or any other Porsche variant you choose). Although you can’t choose GT4/Spyder, but as TX said, some of the stuff is the same so it’s a good reference point.

However, I was recently scolded on here for assuming based on provided information, and I couldn’t sleep last night over it so I don’t want to assume that’s what your confused emoji was for. Maybe you are confused for an entirely different reason, such as what day it is. Only the lord knows. God bless and have a good day.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rasputin.:
Chonson (04-18-2022), FAhmed (04-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022 | 09:34 AM
ragerard
Rennlist Member

When they "unveiled" my GT4 at Leipzig and I saw the cheesy little ruler type lines and no numbers, I almost walked away. I got used to it, I guess. But when used car frenzy hit in earnest last Summer and my dealer offered me my money back for a 5K mile car plus the next GT4 allocation at sticker, I leapt at it. When the allocation came in last fall, the first box I checked was dual zone. Can't live without it!!
RennSportV8 (12-14-2023)
Old 04-15-2022 | 10:44 AM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

As a GTS owner that has the dual climate control...let me tell you that it isn't about the auto feature at all. I could care less. I simply just want to set the temp at a specific temp and keep it there. I'm still adjusting it a few clicks one way or the other, but to not have any gauge of hot or cold. To SpeedySpidy saying just to click it several times when you're hot or cold ends up just being a constant battle to click it a couple times each direction. For the sake of you and the next owner, take the advice of others and spec the auto/2 zone control. Regardless of whether you want to use the 2 zone, or the auto feature...simply having the ability to set it at 72, 75, or 67 is worth it alone. As others said it is a system derived out of the 1970's and my only assumption is that it was a weight saving tactic (I of course don't really know how much weight it saves, but previous S2000's would forgo the the stereo and some A/C features in the CR trim).
Old 04-15-2022 | 10:51 AM
JAhmed
Drifting

Man, a lot of stockholm syndrome up in here
RennSportV8 (03-04-2024)
Old 04-15-2022 | 10:56 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Now I know what all those YT videos with click bait titles that say “Watch this before you buy the 718 spyder!” are about.

And here I thought they were going to warn me about long gear ratios… The Achilles Heel is really the climate controls! We need a pinned thread at the top of this forum warning prospectives.

Last edited by Adrift; 04-15-2022 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-15-2022 | 11:18 AM
ronbauer
Pro

The answer has already been provided, but getting the incorrectly named "single zone" control is my one regret. When I ordered my car, there wasn't any information I could find as to how the single zone worked and just assumed, as many others probably did, that it just didn't provide separate zones for driver and passenger, but still worked as an automatic climate control. Boy was I wrong.

It's certainly not a deal breaker, but Porsche is really good at making you pay for things that are available as standard equipment on $25k cars.

Pay the money for the dual zone and don't look back.

Ron
JAhmed (04-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022 | 11:22 AM
TriggerHappy
Instructor

It depends on your annoyance to price factor. I have had my Spyder for a little over a week. I have only now finally found out that the left switch on the single zone system is hot - cold and the right switch is for fan speed! Who knew! And, It does suck and It is annoying. The question is do you care?? I have been annoyed having to reach around the shifter while driving to pump up the fan speed due to a chill night about 3 times so far. Say average annoyance 2x per week, 8 x per month at average of 8 months driving per year = 64 Times per year over 20 years = 1280 potential points of annoyance. Dual climate is $C870. Which means cost to prevent per instance of annoyance is 68 cents Canadian… would you pay 68 cents to prevent being annoyed? sounds like a good deal to me!

obviously not a deal breaker but if you can spec your car, get it! And also agree ludicrous that this is even an option and not standard in today’s day and age. I mean what is the theory - weight savings? How much weight can a dual zone climate system add? Anyway, My initial thoughts after a week of driving in Canadian spring whether… I’ll give an update when driving in +30 degree C whether in the middle of summer! I imagine it will be the same issue just full cold instead of full heat!
ronbauer (04-15-2022)
Old 04-16-2022 | 01:25 AM
Super Stroby
Rennlist Member

I'm gathering from this thread that every time the key is cycled the climate doesn't come on at the last setting(base a/c)? Is this correct? This would drive me nuts if so. I thought at least if I had it full cold with full fan then when I jumped back into the car that it would stay at that setting and I wouldn't melt in the Vegas heat.

Last edited by Super Stroby; 04-16-2022 at 02:06 AM.
Old 04-16-2022 | 01:36 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Super Stroby
I'm gathering from this thread that everything the key is cycled the climate doesn't come on at the last setting(base a/c)? Is this correct? This would drive me nuts if so. I thought at least if I had it full cold with full fan then when I jumped back into the car that it would stay at that setting and I wouldn't melt in the Vegas heat.
It does remember the last setting. It's just that many people (like myself) like to change the settings as the car warms up to maintain a constant temperature, reach that temperature quickly with high fan speeds once the engine or AC is ready, and slow down the fans to reduce noise afterwards. In the area I live, temperatures can also swing wildly, so it can be chilly outside and then scorching hot a few hours later. All in all, I almost never touch the climate controls on my other cars, while I keep fiddling with them on my Spyder to maintain a constant-ish temperature and sensible fan speed for the situation.
Super Stroby (04-16-2022)
Old 04-16-2022 | 02:47 AM
remington
Burning Brakes

Mine is manual climate control, didn't spec it, it's borderline criminal that at least single zone auto climate control isn't standard, having said that it doesn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would. It's almost a non issue in such a small cabin. I can't believe they don't use ***** instead of those switches to adjust though...good God Porsche what were you thinking.
cbracerx (07-20-2022)
Old 04-17-2022 | 01:25 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

I got the standard manual climate control and it's a tad annoying that I need to adjust it according to weather conditions (even in SoCal). Over time I got used to it, but probably should have specced the dual zone bs from the beginning.

It really is criminal that Porsche charges for automatic climate control on a $100k car! Porsche is a marketing genius as they create a brilliant car for $100k but then you need to spend an additional $10-20k to actually have decent options on it that even basic $30k-40k cars have. Even automatic dimming mirrors are an option

Quick Reply: Manual Air Conditioning System owners chime in please