Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Question about JCR Valved Silenced Rear with Stock OAP

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 01:27 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Question about JCR Valved Silenced Rear with Stock OAP

I saw @Westcoast mentioned that this combination has nice tone and minimal drone with factory PSE operation. It also has less of a tone/volume change from the valve transition compared to most other setups.

I don’t care much for loud exhausts. I’m happy with the stock valves open volume level. However, I want a better and higher pitched tone than the stock exhaust with mixing of the banks, and a smoother transition from valves closed to valves open.

I’ve been debating between the Soul valved rear section (with either stock OAPs or their resonated OAPs), or the JCR valved silenced rear section with stock OAPs. I’ve heard several reports that the Soul setup tends to drone somewhat in the 2000-3000 RPM range with valves closed, but is tolerable as long as you’re not heavy on the throttle. I could live with that, but when spending that much on an exhaust I’d rather not make such compromises to the usability of the car when I’m just cruising uphill in sixth gear on highways or country roads.

Has anyone else tried the JCR Valved Silenced setup with stock OAPs? How’s the drone in the 2000-3000 RPM range? I heard from a friend who tried the non-silenced JCR with stock OAPs and stock PSE operation that he experienced major drone around 2000 RPM. However, Westcoast’s setup had the silenced version that’s probably less prone to drone.

What have others experience with low RPM drone/resonance with JCR silenced rear section (with valves closed) and stock OAPs been? Has anyone gotten to compare it with Soul’s valved muffler?

Last edited by wizee; 04-10-2022 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-10-2022, 02:14 PM
SpydrGuy
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
I saw @Westcoast mentioned that this combination has nice tone and minimal drone with factory PSE operation. It also has less of a tone/volume change from the valve transition compared to most other setups.

I don’t care much for loud exhausts. I’m happy with the stock valves open volume level. However, I want a better and higher pitched tone than the stock exhaust with mixing of the banks, and a smoother transition from valves closed to valves open.

I’ve been debating between the Soul valved rear section (with either stock OAPs or their resonated OAPs), or the JCR valved silenced rear section with stock OAPs. I’ve heard several reports that the Soul setup tends to drone somewhat in the 2000-3000 RPM range with valves closed, but is tolerable as long as you’re not heavy on the throttle. I could live with that, but when spending that much on an exhaust I’d rather not make such compromises to the usability of the car when I’m just cruising uphill in sixth gear on highways or country roads.

Has anyone else tried the JCR Valved Silenced setup with stock OAPs? How’s the drone in the 2000-3000 RPM range? I heard from a friend who tried the non-silenced JCR with stock OAPs and stock PSE operation that he experienced major drone around 2000 RPM. However, Westcoast’s setup had the silenced version that’s probably less prone to drone.

What have others experience with low RPM drone/resonance with JCR silenced rear section (with valves closed) and stock OAPs been? Has anyone gotten to compare it with Soul’s valved muffler?
I have the JCR valved silenced rear with stock OAPs on my Spyder, which is perhaps a bit more forgiving regarding drone than the GT4. The volume is just slightly louder than stock, but the tone is pure music. It sounds as good as my 981 Boxster GTS, and maybe better. For the first several months I used the OEM valve control, and now have the valves open all the time with PSE on. In both cases the JCR gets a bit loud in the 1800-2400 RPM range, especially when applying a lot of throttle in 5th or 6th gear. But it's a very narrow RPM range that you exit quickly and the exhaust never really drones, it's just louder. Obviously with the valves open all the time it's even louder in the 1800-2400 RPM range, but still no drone. With valves open or closed, it's just slightly louder than stock at 60 MPH and above. It took me all of 2 minutes with the valves locked open to decide that's my default driving position. You spend so much time between 2500 to 4000 RPM in daily driving that it's a shame to have the valves closed all the time. It just sounds so much better when they're open..

The only downside to the JCR valved exhaust (other than cost) is that it is only slightly quieter with the valves closed than open (though with a very different tone), so there is no real stealth mode. But as I stated earlier, it's very comfortable cruising either top up or down in the Spyder with valves either closed or locked open. If you're happy with the volume of the OEM exhaust, but want a more exciting tone, the JCR delivers.

I have not heard the Soul exhaust so can't comment.
Old 04-10-2022, 02:21 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpydrGuy
I have the JCR valved silenced rear with stock OAPs on my Spyder, which is perhaps a bit more forgiving regarding drone than the GT4. The volume is just slightly louder than stock, but the tone is pure music. It sounds as good as my 981 Boxster GTS, and maybe better. For the first several months I used the OEM valve control, and now have the valves open all the time with PSE on. In both cases the JCR gets a bit loud in the 1800-2400 RPM range, especially when applying a lot of throttle in 5th or 6th gear. But it's a very narrow RPM range that you exit quickly and the exhaust never really drones, it's just louder. Obviously with the valves open all the time it's even louder in the 1800-2400 RPM range, but still no drone. With valves open or closed, it's just slightly louder than stock at 60 MPH and above. It took me all of 2 minutes with the valves locked open to decide that's my default driving position. You spend so much time between 2500 to 4000 RPM in daily driving that it's a shame to have the valves closed all the time. It just sounds so much better when they're open..

The only downside to the JCR valved exhaust (other than cost) is that it is only slightly quieter with the valves closed than open (though with a very different tone), so there is no real stealth mode. But as I stated earlier, it's very comfortable cruising either top up or down in the Spyder with valves either closed or locked open. If you're happy with the volume of the OEM exhaust, but want a more exciting tone, the JCR delivers.

I have not heard the Soul exhaust so can't comment.
Great, thanks for sharing your experience. Did the valves closed mode not make much of a difference to drone or volume in the 1800-2400 RPM range?

Last edited by wizee; 04-10-2022 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-10-2022, 02:50 PM
SpydrGuy
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 43 Posts

Great, thanks for sharing your experience. Did the valves closed mode not make much of a difference to drone or volume in the 1800-2400 RPM range?
With valves closed the exhaust is quieter in the 1800-2400 RPM range, and the tone is flatter. However, the difference between valves open and closed is not as great as with the OEM exhaust.
Old 04-10-2022, 03:23 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpydrGuy
With valves closed the exhaust is quieter in the 1800-2400 RPM range, and the tone is flatter. However, the difference between valves open and closed is not as great as with the OEM exhaust.
Ok, that matches what I’ve heard from others and makes sense given the design doesn’t have a full fledged muffler.
Old 04-10-2022, 04:03 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,077 Likes on 472 Posts

I have the JCR silenced rear on my GT4, everything else is stock.

There is definitely some drone at 2000rpm when the engine is under even small load, it’s not bad but it is definitely enough for me to avoid running in that rev range. I just shift to a lower gear to keep the revs above 2500.

I can’t even remember how it compares to the stock box because I swapped the exhaust 1 day after taking delivery.
The following users liked this post:
wizee (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 04:07 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 605 Likes on 348 Posts

For a GT4 with stock OAPs, cats, manifolds:

I found it to have drone that'd prob annoy most in the 1800 - 2600 RPM range. Not deafening, but not trivial. Drone is very much affected by windows closed vs windows open (much less with windows open). Tone is -much- improved over stock, sounds like a proper GT car. Overall, outside, I found it to be not very loud and sounds great. It's what the car should've been.

Add headers, cats, !OPF, and all sorts of strangers will come up to you express a (usually) complementary 'WTF is that thing?!'
wizee (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 04:24 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,448 Likes on 517 Posts

I have this setup-. It has bad drone if you lug the engine. It sounds great at RPMs over lugging RPMs (2500 + RPM). It is loud AF at full throttle. COuld be good or bad depending on what you're looking for. I like it, this isn't a daily driver/school drop-off type of car.
Old 04-10-2022, 05:59 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

It would be nice if someone could make an exhaust setup that acts like a notch filter around 90-125 Hz (1800-2500 RPM for a 6 cylinder four stroke engine). Maybe the Soul resonated OAP + JCR rear could be a good combo.
Old 04-10-2022, 06:13 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,357 Likes on 2,197 Posts

I have some direct experience with the Soul and the JCR. When I got Soul valved rear section installed I drove it back to back with a GT4 with a JCR valved rear section. Both cars had OEM over axle pipes and stock manifolds, and both had the same resonance in the same zone 1800-2400 plus or minus. The JCR I think will be louder in the cabin, it was hard to comment too much on that though because mine is a GTS. The owner of the JCR also had a valve controller and I felt, like others, valves open to closed was subtle inside.

Both sound amazing, with the JCR bit more rowdy to my ear, and a bit higher pitched. For my dollars the higher pitched tone is not worth the price delta between the two units. To the OP, IMO either rear section in 6th gear up a hill at 2000 rpm is going to produce a booming sound. My experience is only with the hard tops, and I do think the soft tops will react differently, but my guess is it'll still be there just not as intense perhaps.

I will also add (again) that valves fully open on the Soul solved all my issues related to resonance. 2000 rpm is no problem, no driving around rpms (which can be tiring on longer drives) and no booming cabin tones. I think this is why members like @Bill_76 reported "no drone" when they simply started out valves open. My car sound like Bill's now, IMO really good.

I think the (fortuitous?) advantage of the Soul rear section, in a fully open mode, is that the two full X-pipe paths are in use a the same time, one with a significant muffler. The JCR design has a muffler by-pass into a single x-pipe and dead end drone pipes (not sure what those are called). IMO that is a significant difference. If you keep your foot out of the throttle with valves fully opened the Soul system is still quite docile. I have not lived with a JCR exhaust, just the Soul so keep that in mind as well. The OP's goals were / are similar to mine, and if I can get that collar mod to work in my favour, I think my setup will be perfect.

At some point you just need to go for it.

JCR

Soul

Valve Paths - Soul

Last edited by UncleDude; 04-10-2022 at 06:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
Unstock (04-10-2022), wizee (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 06:41 PM
998R
Instructor

Received 320 Likes on 112 Posts

This is the JCR Valved Silenced with stock OAPs. As others have mentioned there is drone 1800-2400rpm but less with the valves closed (I have a valve controller). Just avoid those rev ranges….

Cheers,
Harry.
Attached Files
Old 04-10-2022, 08:58 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,634 Likes on 2,703 Posts

I agree with a lot that has been said here about the Silenced JCR with stock OAP, to me the tone was perfect albeit a little quiet, with an increase in resonance in the 1800-2400 range but with the valves closed very modest, valves open more intense. Running with the valves closed I found the car almost stock quiet unless you were giving it the beans, certainly easy to drive around and be largely ignored, but really lean on it and the 4.0l would bark and howl enough for people to look, open the valves and they would stare. So I would say if you goal was improved sound but controllable for both volume and resonance in the 1800-2400 range the Silenced JCR and OEM OAP works very well. @998R this video sounds like I remember this combination to be.

But... I wanted more sound intensity, the Akra link-pipes brought that home, but with it increased resonance in the 1800-2400 range, you do not want to roll on the throttle slowly or lug the engine at this RPM especially with the valves open. However the reward is that the sound intensity and tone is incredible with this combination and valves open, still driving it easy the sound does not attract too much attention, give it the full throttle treatment and you will be singled out and pointed at.

As @UncleDude mentions the JCR Silenced pipe has one main exhaust path with small resonators that can be set to be the only path when the valves are closed, open them and you get a slight increase in sound as now the exhaust can also flow through and open pipe, the differences between open and closed are not a great a the Soul setup. The dead end drone pipes he refers to are always in play but have a greater effect when the valves are closed, for reference they are call Helmholtz resonators.

As @SpydrGuy says "The volume is just slightly louder than stock, but the tone is pure music. It sounds as good as my 981 Boxster GTS, and maybe better." I definitely say it is better than my 981 Boxster GTS, more aggressive in tone and character.

So today I have the Silenced JCR Race Pipe, Akra link-pipes and Cargraphic Valve Controller, when I want quiet mode, it is PSE off and valve controller allowing the factory controlled valve settings, for sporty loud driving, the valves are forced open for the entire RPM range, loud with cracks and burbles on overrun and a sharper higher pitch exotic tone.

Last edited by Westcoast; 04-10-2022 at 09:00 PM.
wizee (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 09:53 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I agree with a lot that has been said here about the Silenced JCR with stock OAP, to me the tone was perfect albeit a little quiet, with an increase in resonance in the 1800-2400 range but with the valves closed very modest, valves open more intense. Running with the valves closed I found the car almost stock quiet unless you were giving it the beans, certainly easy to drive around and be largely ignored, but really lean on it and the 4.0l would bark and howl enough for people to look, open the valves and they would stare. So I would say if you goal was improved sound but controllable for both volume and resonance in the 1800-2400 range the Silenced JCR and OEM OAP works very well. @998R this video sounds like I remember this combination to be.

But... I wanted more sound intensity, the Akra link-pipes brought that home, but with it increased resonance in the 1800-2400 range, you do not want to roll on the throttle slowly or lug the engine at this RPM especially with the valves open. However the reward is that the sound intensity and tone is incredible with this combination and valves open, still driving it easy the sound does not attract too much attention, give it the full throttle treatment and you will be singled out and pointed at.

As @UncleDude mentions the JCR Silenced pipe has one main exhaust path with small resonators that can be set to be the only path when the valves are closed, open them and you get a slight increase in sound as now the exhaust can also flow through and open pipe, the differences between open and closed are not a great a the Soul setup. The dead end drone pipes he refers to are always in play but have a greater effect when the valves are closed, for reference they are call Helmholtz resonators.

As @SpydrGuy says "The volume is just slightly louder than stock, but the tone is pure music. It sounds as good as my 981 Boxster GTS, and maybe better." I definitely say it is better than my 981 Boxster GTS, more aggressive in tone and character.

So today I have the Silenced JCR Race Pipe, Akra link-pipes and Cargraphic Valve Controller, when I want quiet mode, it is PSE off and valve controller allowing the factory controlled valve settings, for sporty loud driving, the valves are forced open for the entire RPM range, loud with cracks and burbles on overrun and a sharper higher pitch exotic tone.
You have a Spyder like me, so probably there’s less resonance in the 1800-2400 range with this car than the Cayman body.
Old 04-10-2022, 10:26 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

@JCR-Porsche Do you have any photos of your silenced titanium link pipes? Photos are missing on your web site.

How does resonance/drone in the 1800-2400 RPM range with the silenced valved race pipes compare with stock (filtered) over-axle link pipes to your silenced titanium link pipes? The combination of both would be 4695 + 3295 GBP (over $13k CAD before taxes), which is more than I'm looking to spend, but I'm curious what the silenced link pipes look like and how they affect the sound compared to stock filtered pipes.

Last edited by wizee; 04-10-2022 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-10-2022, 11:59 PM
mprog
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 113 Posts

@JCR-Porsche Do you have any photos of your silenced titanium link pipes? Photos are missing on your web site.

How does resonance/drone in the 1800-2400 RPM range with the silenced valved race pipes compare with stock (filtered) over-axle link pipes to your silenced titanium link pipes? The combination of both would be 4695 + 3295 GBP (over $13k CAD before taxes), which is more than I'm looking to spend, but I'm curious what the silenced link pipes look like and how they affect the sound compared to stock filtered pipes.
they aren’t available yet… I’m waiting for them!
Alpha Ice (04-11-2022)

Quick Reply: Question about JCR Valved Silenced Rear with Stock OAP