Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Unlocking / Locking the car

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 03:48 AM
SlickxAC
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 165 Posts
Default Unlocking / Locking the car

Hey everyone,

Had a question for you all. Anyone else have problem unlocking/Locking their car with their keys? I press the button and it does nothing. Been happening since I got the car.
Old 04-09-2022, 08:42 AM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by SlickxAC
Hey everyone,

Had a question for you all. Anyone else have problem unlocking/Locking their car with their keys? I press the button and it does nothing. Been happening since I got the car.
Occasionally, for the trunk.
Old 04-09-2022, 12:05 PM
Spyder718
Racer

Received 321 Likes on 141 Posts

Anyone else have problem unlocking/Locking their car with their keys? I press the button and it does nothing. Been happening since I got the car.
I may have the same issue. Occasionally my car doesn't lock/unlock reliably. Do you have CarPlay?
I'm 99% sure my problem is related to leaving the phone plugged in when locking/unlocking it. Hasn't happened again since I started always unplugging it.
Old 04-09-2022, 01:46 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 940 Posts

It seems to be a random thing. I get the same issue both with locking and un-locking.

Sometimes the button just does not register, even if you are right next to the car. Not sure if it it a car thing or a FOB thing.

A second or third press always ends up working.

German electronics.
Old 04-09-2022, 02:27 PM
vince993tt
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 45 Posts

I have the same issue with my Spyder. I use the key to release the roof for folding by holding down the unlock key button from outside. Whether using this function, or just locking or unlocking the doors, on a fairly often random basis it either doesn't work at all, or if the top release sequence is underway, it can halt before completed with the rear decklid released. Pressing the button again will eventually work, but it sometimes takes a number of attempts. I have found that if I am next to the front passenger side fender, which I believe is closer to the sensor, that it almost always works. So perhaps there is a range issue with the transmitter. BTW, I did report this to the dealer when in for my first service, and of course they didn't find the problem. As a former owner of many British sports cars (Lotus, Triumph, MG, etc.), it makes me wonder if Lucas is involved somehow...lol. It has been said that our cars are something of a throwback in that they have an analog feel, manual transmission, naturally aspirated, etc. So I can add this weird issue to the list of things that make me feel I am driving a car from simpler times.
Old 04-09-2022, 04:15 PM
SlickxAC
Rennlist Member

After talking to some other people. It possibly could be due to my phone being connected to the wifi with the PCM. I do remember it happening right after I connected my phone. Will try disconnecting it and report back.
Old 04-09-2022, 09:14 PM
SlickxAC
Rennlist Member

Factory reset everything and it still has the problem. I have to wait a moment before I can unlock/Lock the car.
Old 04-11-2022, 12:09 AM
SlickxAC
Rennlist Member

I talked to an Indy shop and they told me it was normal.... Didn't seem normal to me. the lock/unlock works first try, but after I do that I have to wait a few before I can perform another action which is dumb... I know its not a sensor issue because the initial action works. Is there something in the PCM that is causing this?
Old 04-12-2022, 12:59 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

I believe the ‘ab’ in abnormal was lost in the English/German translation.
Old 04-12-2022, 04:18 PM
Spyder718
Racer

Received 321 Likes on 141 Posts

I forgot to mention that I also have to unplug my radar detector from the center console outlet for my fob to work reliably.
Old 04-12-2022, 04:30 PM
TikiLou
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 214 Posts

After talking to some other people. It possibly could be due to my phone being connected to the wifi with the PCM. I do remember it happening right after I connected my phone. Will try disconnecting it and report back.
Wait...what? How do you connect via WiFi? Mine doesn't even have WiFi? is that only there if you get nav?
Old 04-12-2022, 07:07 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by TikiLou
Wait...what? How do you connect via WiFi? Mine doesn't even have WiFi? is that only there if you get nav?
If so then another reason to check that box...
Old 04-13-2022, 11:56 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

The key fob performance for every Porsche I've had has been mediocre and frustrating. My F150's key can lock/unlock/remote-start from 100+ feet reliably. For a 911 or this GT4 I usually have to stay close by, often pressing lock three or four times before success. For unlock I wait until just before I get to the door just to not waste attempts.

I've never discovered the magic to get it to work better and would love to know a reliable fix. I am suspicious that having my body between the car and the fob might shield the signal somewhat as I walk away, so now I normally think to turn back and face the car to lock it.

Last edited by StormRune; 04-13-2022 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-13-2022, 04:59 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
The key fob performance for every Porsche I've had has been mediocre and frustrating. My F150's key can lock/unlock/remote-start from 100+ feet reliably. For a 911 or this GT4 I usually have to stay close by, often pressing lock three or four times before success. For unlock I wait until just before I get to the door just to not waste attempts.

I've never discovered the magic to get it to work better and would love to know a reliable fix. I am suspicious that having my body between the car and the fob might shield the signal somewhat as I walk away, so I now normally turn back toward the car to lock it.

I am not very annoyed with the key fob, what I am annoyed with is the rear back up sensor. Half the time, it will not beep at all as I get very close when parking, other times it works as intended. It is very inconsistent.
Old 04-13-2022, 05:37 PM
Rasputin.
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 252 Posts

Are we talking about a Porsche or a Lotus?

Quick Reply: Unlocking / Locking the car