Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

JCR + Cargraphic Valve Control

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2022 | 05:46 PM
Krizze
Intermediate

Default JCR + Cargraphic Valve Control

Hi there, I’m running a Non Silenced JCR exhaust on my GT4, I’m contemplating a Cargraphic Valve controller, wanted to ask if anyone has this set up and any feedback? Is there a big difference having the valves open under 4000rpm?

thanks!
Old 03-24-2022 | 06:25 PM
YMGT4
Rennlist Member

no- i wouldn't waste your money on the valve controller.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022 | 07:09 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

With my Kline setup the Cargraphic controller is highly desirable and worth the money. So much more volume and fun noises below 5k when fully open but I can quiet things down for long range highway cruising or date nights when conversation and comfort take priority.
Old 03-24-2022 | 07:16 PM
YMGT4
Rennlist Member

I have a valve controller/track nanny from a prior system to make sound at certain race tracks and when i installed the JCR non-silenced valved race pipe I thought the valves were stuck initially because I could barely hear the difference between open and close. For other systems possibly or even OEM a valve controller is great, but for what you have specifically- I don't think its worth it.
The following 3 users liked this post by YMGT4:
Krizze (03-25-2022), rp2000r (03-25-2022), UncleDude (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022 | 07:26 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
With my Kline setup the Cargraphic controller is highly desirable and worth the money. So much more volume and fun noises below 5k when fully open but I can quiet things down for long range highway cruising or date nights when conversation and comfort take priority.
Big difference here though, is that your system is bypassing a muffler, the OP's has no muffler or resonator. I've heard a silenced JCR in person a few times, and in the cabin valves open and closed the difference to me was pretty subtle, so a non-silenced would be even more so.
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
Jeff Jones (03-24-2022), Krizze (03-25-2022)
Old 03-24-2022 | 07:43 PM
SpydrGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Krizze
Hi there, I’m running a Non Silenced JCR exhaust on my GT4, I’m contemplating a Cargraphic Valve controller, wanted to ask if anyone has this set up and any feedback? Is there a big difference having the valves open under 4000rpm?

thanks!
I have the silenced JCR exhaust with the exhaust valves locked open via an M-Engineering tune. Night and day difference at low RPM where the valves were normally closed. Highly recommended. Obviously the valve controller accomplishes the same thing at lower cost.
Old 03-25-2022 | 07:11 AM
Krizze
Intermediate

I agree, just wanted to find out from someone else running the system if they saw it the same as i do, thanks for your feedback!
Old 03-25-2022 | 10:24 AM
TTFLT6
Rennlist Member

I agree, just wanted to find out from someone else running the system if they saw it the same as i do, thanks for your feedback!
Have you tried pulling the vacuum lines to leave the valves open all the time? Do this and take a drive. You’ll know if the valve controller is for you. There is a difference with both silenced and non silenced - more titanium x-pipe tone.
Old 03-25-2022 | 10:30 AM
Krizze
Intermediate

I'm not in anyway mechanically skilled so i would have no idea what i'm doing , ill try this maybe when im at the shop next time! thanks for the suggestion
Old 03-25-2022 | 10:59 AM
avgt4
Rennlist Member

The difference between valves open and closed on my system make no difference, not worth the effort and money IMO

Last edited by avgt4; 03-25-2022 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-25-2022 | 12:07 PM
TTFLT6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by avgt4
The difference between valves open and closed on my system make no difference, not worth the effort and money IMO
With PSE or a true valve controller like cargraphic? With valves fixed open in all RPM ranges via a controller, or disconnecting the vacuum lines, the sound is absolutely different. More high pitched tone at lower rpms, sounds exotic vs. just loud. OP - just pull the rubber vacuum lines under the exhaust and go for a drive. Plug them with golf tees or something so dust doesn't get sucked into the lines.

Last edited by TTFLT6; 03-25-2022 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-25-2022 | 02:20 PM
bigdog1250
Racer

Originally Posted by TTFLT6
Have you tried pulling the vacuum lines to leave the valves open all the time? Do this and take a drive. You’ll know if the valve controller is for you. There is a difference with both silenced and non silenced - more titanium x-pipe tone.
^This is great advice. Very easy to do and you'll know right away.

I had this exact setup (JCR non-silenced + Controller) and here are my thoughts:

1). There is little difference to be noticed when cruising between valves Open vs. Closed with this setup
2). There is a BIG difference to be noticed below 4-5k RPMs between valves Open vs. Closed, so without the controller (or unplugging the vacuum lines) you're going to be missing out on lots of glorious sounds, like during downshifts
3). You can also accomplish #2 by simply unplugging the vacuums tubes, the only downside is slightly more drone while cruising since the valves will always be open

All in all, might be worth saving your money and just running the system with unplugged vacuum lines as that will grant you the glorious sounds with little in terms of sacrifice. Everyone has different preferences in terms of the quality and volume of the sound they're after. To me, the non-silenced JCR system on it's own is still too quiet. I'm now running Soul Performance's Sport Package which includes both the OAPs and rear section that retains valve controls. This system has a much larger difference between valves open vs. closed, so you absolutely want a controller in this setup.

One last thing to note, much of the drone in our cabins is caused by the sound symposer tube which can be plugged. Even with the OEM exhaust setup, by removing this you'll reduce drone significantly.
The following users liked this post:
jamgolf (06-27-2024)
Old 03-25-2022 | 02:30 PM
Krizze
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bigdog1250
^This is great advice. Very easy to do and you'll know right away.

I had this exact setup (JCR non-silenced + Controller) and here are my thoughts:

1). There is little difference to be noticed when cruising between valves Open vs. Closed with this setup
2). There is a BIG difference to be noticed below 4-5k RPMs between valves Open vs. Closed, so without the controller (or unplugging the vacuum lines) you're going to be missing out on lots of glorious sounds, like during downshifts
3). You can also accomplish #2 by simply unplugging the vacuums tubes, the only downside is slightly more drone while cruising since the valves will always be open

All in all, might be worth saving your money and just running the system with unplugged vacuum lines as that will grant you the glorious sounds with little in terms of sacrifice. Everyone has different preferences in terms of the quality and volume of the sound they're after. To me, the non-silenced JCR system on it's own is still too quiet. I'm now running Soul Performance's Sport Package which includes both the OAPs and rear section that retains valve controls. This system has a much larger difference between valves open vs. closed, so you absolutely want a controller in this setup.

One last thing to note, much of the drone in our cabins is caused by the sound symposer tube which can be plugged. Even with the OEM exhaust setup, by removing this you'll reduce drone significantly.

Can you send a photo of what I need to unplug exactly? And is it just the one to unplug? Also do I need to activate the exhaust button then unplug it? Or unplug it while the car is completely off?
Old 03-25-2022 | 02:41 PM
bigdog1250
Racer

Can you send a photo of what I need to unplug exactly? And is it just the one to unplug? Also do I need to activate the exhaust button then unplug it? Or unplug it while the car is completely off?
A quick google/youtube search will show you what you're looking for. There are two vacuum actuated valves on either side of the exhaust which you'll see lines running to. Simply pull those off and you can plug them with a screw and some tape. I'd recommend doing this while the car's off so the exhaust won't be hot, there's no need to fiddle with the exhaust button either. Once unplugged, the valves will always remain open so the PSE exhaust button will not do anything.
Old 03-25-2022 | 03:58 PM
Krizze
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bigdog1250
A quick google/youtube search will show you what you're looking for. There are two vacuum actuated valves on either side of the exhaust which you'll see lines running to. Simply pull those off and you can plug them with a screw and some tape. I'd recommend doing this while the car's off so the exhaust won't be hot, there's no need to fiddle with the exhaust button either. Once unplugged, the valves will always remain open so the PSE exhaust button will not do anything.

Watched some video on it, looks fair easy, is it easy to put back in? as in It won't be compromised in the long run, should I choose I prefer them in.

Quick Reply: JCR + Cargraphic Valve Control