Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

First car control clinic!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2022 | 09:03 PM
Clementine33
Instructor

Default First car control clinic!

Went to the Michelin Proving Grounds in Laurens, SC today for a PCA-sponsored car control clinic. It was my first seat time with a certified driving instructor. I started with the skip pad-I was terrified beforehand-but did really well & even managed not to embarrass myself in front of all the (older, more experienced) guys. The avoidance braking & steering course was most helpful, and I even enjoyed the slalom course. 5 of the 8 instructors I had with me said something like, "You know, you're a good driver. And I'm not just saying that because you're a woman. You are not afraid of wide-open throttle!"
My CGTS sounded incredible, better than all the other cars there, 911T's, GT4's, etc w/ my Soul over-axel pipes. My husband is processing the videos still, but I'll post them soon.
I'm thrilled, like a little kid after their first amusement park trip-can't wait for more!
The following 8 users liked this post by Clementine33:
Dan Nagy (03-20-2022), JP4931 (03-20-2022), LZRD GRN (03-20-2022), Mariomark (03-20-2022), PaulHig (03-20-2022), TripleL (03-21-2022), UncleDude (03-19-2022), worf928 (03-21-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-19-2022 | 09:17 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Congratulations. You sound like a beginner so the slippery slope starts. When is the first XCross or DE?
Old 03-19-2022 | 09:29 PM
Clementine33
Instructor

Missed the HPDE in Charlotte, NC last weekend when it was 20 degrees-no thanks. I will look for the next one soon.
I have PEC-Atl scheduled next month driving a GT3 & Turbo S thanks to Porsche NA compensation for the conrod mess, and I am headed to Ron Fellows C8 driving school in Nevada in May. (I got a '21 HTC C8 3 months after my GTS.)
I'd love to get all the advice you have re: what I should do next.
The following users liked this post:
Dan Nagy (03-20-2022)
Old 03-19-2022 | 11:33 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
Congratulations. You sound like a beginner so the slippery slope starts. When is the first XCross or DE?
Yep, it's addictive. Just got done flushing in some new RBF...
Old 03-19-2022 | 11:44 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Sounds like you got your first good taste of a Porsche at its limits and now you are hooked! And now you are looking for another hit. That's great... it's good to have you join the rest of us addicts!

If your local PCA chapter has some autocross events that is something to look into. Normally instructors are available for ride along and there are always "novice walks" to introduce you to the course and how to read it. The runs aren't very long but they are very intense and will push the car to its limits when you are ready to do so - at least its limits at safer speeds in a safer environment. It's really quite different front track but still a good way to get a feel for the car while also getting some good skills that can pay off in emergencies on the road.

If there is nothing with the PCA, there are usually local clubs doing events as well. They also tend to have introductions for novices just like I said above. The nice thing with most autocross meets is you'll find that the people tend to be very supportive and welcoming to newcomers. The pressure on newbie's is kept pretty low. You can also typically get a ride-along with another driver if they agree. Try to tag along with an experienced driver and see how they are doing it and how it feels. Probably more than half of the time at events with the local autocross club I have people ride-along with me. I've also had the joy of riding along with respected championship winners.

Last edited by StormRune; 03-19-2022 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2022 | 10:38 AM
ddugas01

Driving schools builds a good foundation. PEC is top notch. You’ll likely want to go through the full suite.
Getting out on a track as often as you can is the best way to improve.
Be sure and add safety equipment as you progress.
Eventually, you’ll want to trailer the car(s) to other tracks, like the glenn, sebring etc. To me, experiencing the famous tracks around the world in my favorite toy is a great way to enjoy this hobby.
Finally, since you’ve already dropped a few $$$ on autos, there is no end to the spend when you become a track junky.
Old 03-20-2022 | 10:00 PM
JP4931
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Clementine33
Went to the Michelin Proving Grounds in Laurens, SC today for a PCA-sponsored car control clinic. It was my first seat time with a certified driving instructor. I started with the skip pad-I was terrified beforehand-but did really well & even managed not to embarrass myself in front of all the (older, more experienced) guys. The avoidance braking & steering course was most helpful, and I even enjoyed the slalom course. 5 of the 8 instructors I had with me said something like, "You know, you're a good driver. And I'm not just saying that because you're a woman. You are not afraid of wide-open throttle!"
My CGTS sounded incredible, better than all the other cars there, 911T's, GT4's, etc w/ my Soul over-axel pipes. My husband is processing the videos still, but I'll post them soon.
I'm thrilled, like a little kid after their first amusement park trip-can't wait for more!
You are part of a great group of people in the Appalachian Region. Jim does a great job keeping the club busy and Don did also! If you are interested in autocross, the East Tn Region SCCA has events at Bristol Motor Speedway http://www.etrscca.org/msr-calendar/ Bristol is a little over a hour away from Asheville. You do not have to be a SCCA member to run with ETR. Several of us from the Smoky Mountain region are running with them this year since we are having trouble finding asphalt. Unfortunately our club does not have enough participation to pay for the lot at BMS. Also several of us in the SMT region are going back to Barber Motorsports Park for a HPDE in June.
The following users liked this post:
Clementine33 (03-20-2022)

Quick Reply: First car control clinic!