Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Door Window Will Not Fully Go Down - SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2022 | 10:29 AM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Default Door Window Will Not Fully Go Down - SOLVED

So my passenger side door window will not fully go down, it stops about 3 inches above the door frame. I have tried all the "Reset" procedures listed here and in the manual and it changes nothing. So I stopped by the Dealer Service Center to see if their "reset" procedure was any different.

After looking at the issue, they said it appears that the door window is in the "911 position" versus the "718 position" as it is reaching the bottom stop, then asked if I had removed the interior door panel, as it appears to have been reassembled in the "911 position".

This is the first I have ever heard of the door window assembly having 2 different lower stop points basis a 911 or 718...... I have viewed what videos I could find on this subject and don't understand any difference??

The only time the car has been "out of my control" was when I had the Paint Protection Film installed. I will stop by their business and ask them if they removed the door panel, yet I still don't see how that would effect the window lower stop point.

Can anyone shed some light on this "window assembly having 2 different stop point basis a 911 or 718" ?

Thanks in advance

The following users liked this post:
fueledbymetal (03-17-2022)
Old 03-16-2022 | 02:17 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
So my passenger side door window will not fully go down, it stops about 3 inches above the door frame. I have tried all the "Reset" procedures listed here and in the manual and it changes nothing. So I stopped by the Dealer Service Center to see if their "reset" procedure was any different.

After looking at the issue, they said it appears that the door window is in the "911 position" versus the "718 position" as it is reaching the bottom stop, then asked if I had removed the interior door panel, as it appears to have been reassembled in the "911 position".

This is the first I have ever heard of the door window assembly having 2 different lower stop points basis a 911 or 718...... I have viewed what videos I could find on this subject and don't understand any difference??

The only time the car has been "out of my control" was when I had the Paint Protection Film installed. I will stop by their business and ask them if they removed the door panel, yet I still don't see how that would effect the window lower stop point.

Can anyone shed some light on this "window assembly having 2 different stop point basis a 911 or 718" ?

Thanks in advance
door cards are shared across the platforms? - and due to the differing roof lines of the 718 and 991/2 the mounting for the glass may differ, it could be that when the ppf guys re-installed the panel/glass they mounted it incorrectly - since if they did remove in order to install the film on the door they would have to pull the rubber seal and probably the glass also?
Old 03-16-2022 | 02:20 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
door cards are shared across the platforms? - and due to the differing roof lines of the 718 and 991/2 the mounting for the glass may differ, it could be that when the ppf guys re-installed the panel/glass they mounted it incorrectly - since if they did remove in order to install the film on the door they would have to pull the rubber seal and probably the glass also?
The PPF guys remove door panels? Yikes. I barely trust dealer techs to do that properly, never mind the PPF guys.
The following 2 users liked this post by SpyderSenseOC:
Southbama (03-16-2022), Zhao (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022 | 02:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
The PPF guys remove door panels? Yikes. I barely trust dealer techs to do that properly, never mind the PPF guys.
I do not know this for certain, but if you want to fold the ppf film down "into" the door itself or cleanly behind the card then you have to remove the rubber seal that the window fits into - to do that you need to pull the door card etc I believe ... but not certain
Old 03-16-2022 | 02:42 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Good thoughts, yet the videos on the interior panel removal to pull the Sideview Mirror, shows that you never touch the window mounting or window position.

I called a former Porsche Tech I know and he said there are not "Different Positions" for the 718 vs 911, in the 718 door assembly. He said the lower position is established by the control module monitoring the current draw from the motor, so most likely its something blocking the window from moving down (like some tool left inside the door in error). He also said that if I had window tint installed, the installer could have damaged the weather stripping and that it has been pulled into the window track blocking the final position of the window. He said they had a tint installer that did to several cars that they had to repair. Yes, I had the windows tinted a week after the PPF install, so..... I inspected the weather stripping on both doors and they look fine and identical. So I'm having the PPF guy pull the door panel and we will see what's wrong when we look inside.

Thanks for your input.

fueledbymetal (03-17-2022)
Old 03-16-2022 | 02:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Good thoughts, yet the videos on the interior panel removal to pull the Sideview Mirror, shows that you never touch the window mounting or window position.

I called a former Porsche Tech I know and he said there are not "Different Positions" for the 718 vs 911, in the 718 door assembly. He said the lower position is established by the control module monitoring the current draw from the motor, so most likely its something blocking the window from moving down (like some tool left inside the door in error). He also said that if I had window tint installed, the installer could have damaged the weather stripping and that it has been pulled into the window track blocking the final position of the window. He said they had a tint installer that did to several cars that they had to repair. Yes, I had the windows tinted a week after the PPF install, so..... I inspected the weather stripping on both doors and they look fine and identical. So I'm having the PPF guy pull the door panel and we will see what's wrong when we look inside.

Thanks for your input.

Old 03-18-2022 | 02:38 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

So I went back to the PPF installer, they were very helpful and we pulled off the passenger side interior door panel (really quite a simple process). We could not see anything wrong at first , so I had the installer hold/feel the wire cable from the Side View mirror while I lowered the window. Once the window reached it's (wrong) stopping point we could feel that it was tugging/pulling on the cable. GREAT, we now knew what the probable issue was...... We then further disassembled the door and found that the Side View Mirror cable was not placed in its correct location (route), and the cable was blocking the window from lowering all the way down. Easy fix to put it back correctly, reprogram the correct upper and lower stop positions, and then test its function with the Door open/closed and the Top up/down. All worked as it should!!

So the issue was caused by the PPF Installer simply not putting the Side View Mirror cable back into it's proper routing when they removed and re-installed it for the Paint Protection Film. I just had not noticed the issue until a week later. Lesson: Test everything when picking up your vehicle after any service is performed. Yes, its a pain, yet probably for the best.

Many thanks for your input and thoughts.

Last edited by Dan Nagy; 03-19-2022 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Spelling.
The following 5 users liked this post by 981KMAN:
Dan Nagy (03-19-2022), DFW01TT (03-19-2022), rp2000r (03-18-2022), slilley (03-19-2022), TripleL (03-21-2022)
Old 03-18-2022 | 03:48 PM
unclemat
Pro

They removed mirror for PPF?
Old 03-18-2022 | 04:00 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by unclemat
They removed mirror for PPF?
Yes, This way you eliminate seams in the film and have a solid piece of film covering the entire door.

Just have to put everything back together correctly

Old 03-18-2022 | 06:12 PM
Chonson
Rennlist Member

So I stopped by the Dealer Service Center to see if their "reset" procedure was any different.

I'm a little amused that the dealer basically just made this all up and couldn't identify the actual issue.
RAGT4P (03-20-2022)
Old 03-18-2022 | 07:45 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thread title updated.

Congrats on resolution.
981KMAN (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022 | 08:40 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chonson
I'm a little amused that the dealer basically just made this all up and couldn't identify the actual issue.
I agree, the Dealer Service Manager gave me a BS story.....

He should have just said he didn't know the cause and they would have to pull the interior panel and investigate.

Old 03-21-2022 | 02:45 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

I agree, the Dealer Service Manager gave me a BS story.....

He should have just said he didn't know the cause and they would have to pull the interior panel and investigate.
Maybe it's worth going back to the service manager and tell him what the real solution was to the problem instead of letting him get away with such a stupid and BS answer. Reminds me of the stupid and BS answers I would get when I would take my E90 335i in for service when the high pressure fuel pump went bad...on two occasions.

Quick Reply: Door Window Will Not Fully Go Down - SOLVED