Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Stop waste. Recycle old race cars.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2022 | 12:49 PM
Mariomark
Advanced

Default Stop waste. Recycle old race cars.

Having foolishly purchased my GT4 with comfy seats I have found myself removing the skin from the outside of my knees while bracing myself in the car on the track. I am constantly cinching the belt and try to lock them tight with little luck. I am no where near the limits of the car and I am sliding all around in the seat. After knocking the scab off my right knee half a dozen times since my last track day I wanted to find a solution other than knee pads. My belts time out of my Formula Fords every 5 years so I try to repurpose them in the passenger cars that I track. I use them as a supplement to factory belts for the sole purpose of pinning me in the seat. I know they are not optimal for safety but do a good job holding me down and my HANS in place when I use it. My 18 way seats have no way to use shoulder belts but I've mounted the lap and sub belts in my GT4. They stow nicely behind the seat. ​​​​​Hopefully this will stabilize my lower half enough to keep all my blood on the inside during track days. I should have bought the buckets.

The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022 | 11:43 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Why don't you just put some Recaro Profi's in and get some proper harnesses, the setup you are describing does not sound safe at all...
Larry Cable (03-09-2022)
Old 03-09-2022 | 01:37 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Setting the seatback angle to be more upright helps.
Larry Cable (03-09-2022)
Old 03-09-2022 | 03:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mariomark
Having foolishly purchased my GT4 with comfy seats I have found myself removing the skin from the outside of my knees while bracing myself in the car on the track. I am constantly cinching the belt and try to lock them tight with little luck. I am no where near the limits of the car and I am sliding all around in the seat. After knocking the scab off my right knee half a dozen times since my last track day I wanted to find a solution other than knee pads. My belts time out of my Formula Fords every 5 years so I try to repurpose them in the passenger cars that I track. I use them as a supplement to factory belts for the sole purpose of pinning me in the seat. I know they are not optimal for safety but do a good job holding me down and my HANS in place when I use it. My 18 way seats have no way to use shoulder belts but I've mounted the lap and sub belts in my GT4. They stow nicely behind the seat. ​​​​​Hopefully this will stabilize my lower half enough to keep all my blood on the inside during track days. I should have bought the buckets.
yup - having said that - I still get bruises/scabs on my knee from bracing myself against the door (3pt)
Old 03-10-2022 | 02:51 PM
GT4_trip
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mariomark
I had the exact same issue as mine came with 2 way seats as well. After trying different hacks (with minimal to low success), I put in sparco QRT seats in black leather. With the harness tucked away, To the casual observer, it looks OEM and have the same fit and finish. But they really hold you in. Complete with a half cage and harness, it’s an ideal set up for me. I actually feel better about ordering the car with comfy seats as I can have the flexibility to keep the passenger seats comfy considering my wife or anyone else may not fancy the yoga associated with getting in bucket seats. If you are at ECR and I’m there, would be happy to show you my set up.
Old 03-10-2022 | 09:59 PM
PaulE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT4_trip
I had the exact same issue as mine came with 2 way seats as well. After trying different hacks (with minimal to low success), I put in sparco QRT seats in black leather. With the harness tucked away, To the casual observer, it looks OEM and have the same fit and finish. But they really hold you in. Complete with a half cage and harness, it’s an ideal set up for me. I actually feel better about ordering the car with comfy seats as I can have the flexibility to keep the passenger seats comfy considering my wife or anyone else may not fancy the yoga associated with getting in bucket seats. If you are at ECR and I’m there, would be happy to show you my set up.
What, if anything, are you doing about the airbag light while your stock driver seat is out of the car? I'm planning to get my car with base seats and swap in my 996 GT 3 seats, which I understand to be a direct bolt in. But I'm not sure if the airbag light just stays on while the stock seats are out, or if there is a way to turn it off. And did you get a spare seat belt receptacle to use with your Sparco QRT, or do you use the one from your base seat, or do you just not bother with the stock seatbelt when the Sparco is in?
Old 03-10-2022 | 10:12 PM
GT4_trip
Instructor

Originally Posted by PaulE
What, if anything, are you doing about the airbag light while your stock driver seat is out of the car? I'm planning to get my car with base seats and swap in my 996 GT 3 seats, which I understand to be a direct bolt in. But I'm not sure if the airbag light just stays on while the stock seats are out, or if there is a way to turn it off. And did you get a spare seat belt receptacle to use with your Sparco QRT, or do you use the one from your base seat, or do you just not bother with the stock seatbelt when the Sparco is in?
there is an airbag light on the dash which I had to accept once, but I don’t notice it thereafter. As for seatbelt, I have a receptacle extender that I purchased separately that works with the belt when I am not using the harness.
Old 03-11-2022 | 12:15 PM
Mariomark
Advanced

Thanks GT4Trip, I'll come talk to you out when I see you. I've already switched the lap belt out to a camlock. That latch link buckle looks like it could turn berries into punch in an upright seat car.
Old 03-11-2022 | 04:05 PM
PaulE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT4_trip
there is an airbag light on the dash which I had to accept once, but I don’t notice it thereafter. As for seatbelt, I have a receptacle extender that I purchased separately that works with the belt when I am not using the harness.
Thanks. Are you just plugging the extender into the seat belt and using the harness? I'm assuming the seatbelt receptacle bolted to the standard seat though. Did you take that piece off your stock seat and bolt it to your Sparco, or get another. I'd like to use the receptacle circled in green is this picture, or if it doesn't connect to the seat harness, get ones that will. This is a 986/996 receptacle.

Old 03-13-2022 | 10:26 AM
lnirenberg
Rennlist Member

Having just swapped my 991 tts w/18 ways for a ‘22 GT4 with full buckets I feel your pain. When tracking the tts I adjusted the cushion side bolster all the way in and found they kept me in place fairly well. I also had a pair of hardware store knee pads in my track bag and they are effective when I took the time to put them on.

Last edited by lnirenberg; 03-13-2022 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Stop waste. Recycle old race cars.