Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Production Halt Starting Mid March

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 12:15 AM
Panther Driver
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are news reports that Macan and Panamera production had been halted as well.
Old 03-06-2022, 07:42 AM
MechEngr1287
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ausgang
. I'd encourage anyone else who is really close to the cut-off date (Adrift) to check with your SA for a more accurate answer.

I agree, definitely check with SA. My TYD CP8 date showed after 3/14. In PVMS it shows before *whew*
Old 03-06-2022, 10:23 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,294 Posts

I am sniffing around a used spyder as a bridge car, in case my date gets punted. That SA said big stuff (like suvs) getting delayed; for now / March, sports car builds intact. My regular SA has no firm news, at least that he is sharing.

But that posted notice, if true, states everything in specific absolutes, in which case I am in the punted group. I have been going by PVMS Planned dates since this conversation began, since that’s how the notice was worded.

Tonight at 6 CT my tyd Freeze date goes to 0. Maybe. I should start a pool on possible outcomes.

Last edited by Adrift; 03-06-2022 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:23 PM
boss2k
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Sorry if its a naive question, where is porsche production plant and how is related to the Ukraine issue? Please educate
Old 03-07-2022, 09:14 AM
skafia
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Salespunk
This could be more than just wiring harnesses as well. BMW is saying it is also all seatbelt production along with a few other parts that are single sourced out of Ukraine.

Also when they say "wiring harness" people think of a few plugs. It is actually ALL wiring for the car which is significant and not easy to just spin up someplace else. Will likely take a few months to replicate in another factory since they have to find excess capacity at another factory/vendor. Then the materials have to be sent with disrupted shipping lanes due the conflict, then production has to start, then the completed units need to be shipped, then QC and who knows what else we are missing in the process.
Might also need regulatory approval for wires leading to safety systems too.

GT4 will stop, P will likely try to work with another manufacturer but by the time it's all ready they'll be working hard to make up sales from the SUVs... not 718 and definitely not GT4. But I know nothing, I just want my GT4 to moon. 🤣
Old 03-07-2022, 11:30 AM
nobbyv
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by boss2k
Sorry if its a naive question, where is porsche production plant and how is related to the Ukraine issue? Please educate
Porsche has several production plants. The sports cars and electric cars are built in Zuffenhausen (Stuttgart). Macans are in Leipzig, and Ceyennes are in Bratislava, Slovakia. As other posters have mentioned, there are a number of suppliers of assorted parts that are located in Ukraine. I've heard wire looms, possibly seat belts, etc. Have to assume those factories are completely shut down.
The following users liked this post:
boss2k (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 11:38 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

The lack of anything remotely official is a bit maddening. That posted notice is absolute in what it states; various salespeople seem a bit softer or have slightly different messaging. TYD trundles right along. PVMS? Still thumbs up for May (as of Friday).

Am I hosed for now, or not? (So I can react / make contingency plans) Doesn't seem too much to ask. If they don't know...fair enough. Things are in the ****ter. I get it. Chaos (And yes, this is ALL trivial in comparison; I am very upset at the situation in the Ukraine, trust me; even more at the nascent goose-stepping revival we seem to be living here at home.). But if they DO KNOW (/have decided)...then just friggin tell us. That leaked notice (if real) says they do know and have decided, in no uncertain terms. But its provenance? No idea.

Last edited by Adrift; 03-07-2022 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-07-2022, 02:01 PM
Super Stroby
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 100 Posts

I received word Friday that Stuttgart only had enough parts for production to make it through mid week this week. I would assume the wiring harness goes in around the mid point of the line which gives weight to the 14th as the day they basically run out of cars with all the parts nesessary to pass the CP8 check point. TYD still hasn't updated with any delay still showing a CP8 date of 3/18. I haven't seen a PVMS report from my SA yet. I'm hopeful that I slip in under the cutoff however I'm not holding my breath. My main concern is if my car is unlucky enough to be sitting on the line half built what kind of little issues/gremlins could it have in the future making the ownership experience less than ideal. Even though this all pales in comparison to what people are dealing with in Eastern Europe right now.
Old 03-07-2022, 02:44 PM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 916 Likes on 366 Posts

This is the only official comment they're making and it leaves things quite open. Basically, they're not going to make any comment about long-term production implications. https://www.thedrive.com/news/44572/...raine-invasion

Porsche has provided a statement to The Drive, indicating that the Volkswagen group as a whole "views the situation in Ukraine with great concern and dismay." Regarding ongoing production, Porsche's spokesperson noted the already-confirmed shutdown at Leipzig, while stating that production at the Zuffenhausen plant, responsible for the marque's two-door sports cars, remained operational for the week beginning February 28.

However, the situation remains fluid. Porsche's spokesperson stated that "In the coming days and weeks we will operate on a short-term basis and continuously reassess the situation."

Originally Posted by Adrift
The lack of anything remotely official is a bit maddening. That posted notice is absolute in what it states; various salespeople seem a bit softer or have slightly different messaging. TYD trundles right along. PVMS? Still thumbs up for May (as of Friday).

Am I hosed for now, or not? (So I can react / make contingency plans) Doesn't seem too much to ask. If they don't know...fair enough. Things are in the ****ter. I get it. Chaos (And yes, this is ALL trivial in comparison; I am very upset at the situation in the Ukraine, trust me; even more at the nascent goose-stepping revival we seem to be living here at home.). But if they DO KNOW (/have decided)...then just friggin tell us. That leaked notice (if real) says they do know and have decided, in no uncertain terms. But its provenance? No idea.

Last edited by TXRubicon; 03-07-2022 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Stroby
I received word Friday that Stuttgart only had enough parts for production to make it through mid week this week. I would assume the wiring harness goes in around the mid point of the line which gives weight to the 14th as the day they basically run out of cars with all the parts nesessary to pass the CP8 check point. TYD still hasn't updated with any delay still showing a CP8 date of 3/18. I haven't seen a PVMS report from my SA yet. I'm hopeful that I slip in under the cutoff however I'm not holding my breath. My main concern is if my car is unlucky enough to be sitting on the line half built what kind of little issues/gremlins could it have in the future making the ownership experience less than ideal. Even though this all pales in comparison to what people are dealing with in Eastern Europe right now.
that's the beauty of Just In Time manufacturing ... wiring harness is one of the 1st things to go into the car on the line ... when its basically a painted body shell ...
Old 03-07-2022, 04:36 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,344 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Stroby
Seems like a large bunch of us have been moved over to 3-18 as CP8 date. Not encouraging.
Old 03-07-2022, 05:05 PM
Zee Germanz
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

My build has slipped from May to June.
Old 03-07-2022, 05:07 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zee Germanz
My build has slipped from May to June.
Per what? TYP or PVMS?