Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Over rev report trigger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2022 | 05:18 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Does anyone know if the 718 GT4/Spyder has 6 rev ranges or only 3 like the 992? My Durametric connects to my Spyder but won’t display the rev report. Everything else seems to show up.

Also, on my manual 981 (sold), I had range 1 & 2 over-revs, but I never heard it bounce off the rev limiter. I shifted “at redline” often, but when looking at the tach and lifting off the gas just when the fast-moving needle gets to the redline is pretty inexact. But I always lifted off without hearing the rev limiter cut in.
Old 10-20-2022 | 12:29 AM
Zhao
Drifting

hmm, I didn't think to see if my scan tool will run the rev report but I think next time I drive it to work i'll see whats lurking in the scan tool for reports. I have banged off my rev limiter a number of times so kinda curious what my report looks like.
Old 10-20-2022 | 12:38 AM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zhao
hmm, I didn't think to see if my scan tool will run the rev report but I think next time I drive it to work i'll see whats lurking in the scan tool for reports. I have banged off my rev limiter a number of times so kinda curious what my report looks like.
Think you need a PIWIS to pull the revs.
Old 06-18-2024 | 06:22 PM
JPLepak
Rennlist Member

Default Stage 1 and 2 Porsche Scumbagery

Originally Posted by JCviggen
No, max power on a stock car is pretty much where the limiter is. That's why it's so easy to hit in the 4.0 cars, they kinda "feel" like they would want to go further.

You will get stage 1 over revs from hitting the limiter, but pretty much all cars will have those including PDK equipped ones. Stage 1-2 nobody cares about, including Porsche for warranty etc so it doesn't really matter.
Was having engine misfire. Car taken to Porsche. Said will not warranty due to over revs but I had a DME pulled by them 1k miles ago as I was going to sell the car. Also had my shop look at the car prior to taking it to the dealer. Only level 1 and 2 over revs. Stay tuned will update as this transpires.
Old 06-18-2024 | 08:21 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JPLepak
Was having engine misfire. Car taken to Porsche. Said will not warranty due to over revs but I had a DME pulled by them 1k miles ago as I was going to sell the car. Also had my shop look at the car prior to taking it to the dealer. Only level 1 and 2 over revs. Stay tuned will update as this transpires.
How many and how long ago?

The 718 only has 3 ranges. We have done a deep dive on this before.
Stage 1 is triggered just by red line
Stage 2 is up to 8600RPM
Stage 3 is above 8600RPM

I am curious because my car has a small number of Stage 2's thanks to a mis shift I did a couple of years ago. Warranty is up in 3 months so I am keen to see how I go with it.

Last edited by Reedy; 06-18-2024 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-19-2024 | 10:41 AM
slilley
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reedy
The 718 only has 3 ranges. We have done a deep dive on this before.
Stage 1 is triggered just by red line
Stage 2 is up to 8600RPM
Stage 3 is above 8600RPM
I thought the ranges were actually:
Range 1: 8100-8300
Range 2: 8300-8600
Range 3: >8600

But I've never seen anything official from a trusted source.
Old 06-19-2024 | 11:21 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slilley

Somewhere I believe above is captured via a Porsche System screenshot on one of these threads.

Official? Not quite…
Old 06-19-2024 | 12:09 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

The expert in manual over revs is Doug at Switchcars. He is the guru. Whether or not it applies to the GT4 not sure. But he has done extensive work on this topic in the manual Metzger GT motors. Here is his video. It's quite funny too..

Old 06-19-2024 | 01:51 PM
Josh_357
Racer

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Somewhere I believe above is captured via a Porsche System screenshot on one of these threads.

Official? Not quite…
I posted this from another users DME report from what I believe is a current PIWIS.

The following 2 users liked this post by Josh_357:
slilley (06-20-2024), TXshaggy (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024 | 06:30 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
The expert in manual over revs is Doug at Switchcars. He is the guru. Whether or not it applies to the GT4 not sure. But he has done extensive work on this topic in the manual Metzger GT motors. Here is his video. It's quite funny too..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKgOAWMjZLQ&t=14s
Yea this video is very useful, however the 718 GT4 rev ranges are completely different, so this video could use a bit of an update.
Old 06-19-2024 | 06:31 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slilley

This is correct, but Range 1's are triggered by hitting the rev limiter. My car has thousands upon thousands of them.

Last edited by Reedy; 06-19-2024 at 06:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
slilley (06-20-2024)
Old 07-16-2024 | 02:31 PM
JPLepak
Rennlist Member

So after months of the car sitting and the issue (outlined previously but having major misfires and possible catastrophic engine failure) being elevated to Porsche NA and then being handed off to 2 different case managers my engine issue warranty claim is being denied. Some background, as this is likely going to get ugly and longwinded.

The car was purchased with 1500 miles and was CPO. I thought about selling the car and had a DME pulled; when pulled by the dealer I asked how to read the report. My advisor laughed and said they were complicated but what is important was the report was clean and if the car were not CPO already they would CPO it again. I sent said report to the prospective buyer who reviewed it and he too was not concerned due to Level 1 and 2 only. Whether our confidence was mistaken or not is not the point of this post... bear with me.

The car ended up having an issue less than 1k miles later while up in the NE USA. I had the car looked at by an independent shop who said the car had overrevs but they were 500 engine hours ago... IDK, either way I had the car shipped back to Central FL. The local dealer looked at the car and denied the engine issue based on overrevs. I of course balked and mentioned the DME pulled a short while ago. The dealer then pulled the head and said yes, valve float, overrevs, no go on the warranty. I asked for the detailed report on the DME as this would state when the overrevs happened each and every time, my argument being if they were long ago and only Level 1 or 2, the overrev claim has less weight. Best case for me worst for them would be the most/more extreme overrevs would have occurred early in my ownership (car has 11k miles on it) or before my ownership when they already CPO'd the car. This info was refused but I was provided and Porsche NA's number.

Upon calling PNA, a claims handler was assigned who took general information and assured me I would be contacted soon with an update, typically 1-2 days. A week passed with no contact, so I reached back. The person who answered the call fumbled around for several mins searching for my claim/issue even after providing a claim reference number. Once my particular claim was located I was told the handler was not available but she'd call back; I do not remember the specifics but the language implied that day. I did not receive a call that day or for several days there after. Eventually I did receive a call but it was from another handler who took all of the same info given previously. I vented to this person (both handlers were very pleasant IDK what the issue was with returning the calls and general communication but I have my suspicions) and outlined why I felt the overrev (OR) denial was being questioned and even threw him a bone and stated "if you guys wanted to claim the car was primarily used for track and we know this based on average engine speed and mph" I would better understand. His reply was very encouraging and said "it is a GT4 that is why you bought the car and PNA does not deny for that reason". This made me fall in love with the brand all over again as it indeed is what we all buy these cars for!

Fast forward another week with no communication. I call PNA who says the handler is not available but will call back. While the call did not occur that day it was promptly returned the following day, a first through this arduous process. During this call I was told PNA spoke with the tech and the damage was due to OR as a result they are dyeing the claim. I said ok, what about my request for the DME information as this will outline very well when the damage might have occurred and if it occurred by me at all. If I was sold a CPO car with OR and my claim is now being denied for OR I think it is a fair request. His response was one I will never forget and completely took me by surprise. I was told they will not share the DME information with me. I then argued they are making a claim based on the DME recording overrevs but both PNA and the dealer are 100% refusing to provide me with the data from my car substantiating their denial, I even sited an example stating that would be like my bank locking down my bank account due to negative balance and then when I call to find out why they inform me I wrote a check for 100k which I then say I do not remember writing this check please provide me a copy and them of course saying no, we will not provide you a copy of the check you may or may not have written.

Heartbreaking... IDK what I will do but one thing for sure, I will probably not be in a Porsche for a very long time if ever again.
The following 2 users liked this post by JPLepak:
Henry I. (07-16-2024), slilley (07-17-2024)
Old 07-16-2024 | 02:48 PM
Arione
Instructor

Originally Posted by sanderabernathy
If you’re shifting at redline you’ll inevitably produce over rev events.

Max horsepower and torque are well below redline. Unless you’re trying to win a race, why go to redline?
I do it to burn the carbon out. Good old italian tune up
Old 07-16-2024 | 02:51 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPLepak
So after months of the car sitting and the issue (outlined previously but having major misfires and possible catastrophic engine failure) being elevated to Porsche NA and then being handed off to 2 different case managers my engine issue warranty claim is being denied. Some background, as this is likely going to get ugly and longwinded.

The car was purchased with 1500 miles and was CPO. I thought about selling the car and had a DME pulled; when pulled by the dealer I asked how to read the report. My advisor laughed and said they were complicated but what is important was the report was clean and if the car were not CPO already they would CPO it again. I sent said report to the prospective buyer who reviewed it and he too was not concerned due to Level 1 and 2 only. Whether our confidence was mistaken or not is not the point of this post... bear with me.

The car ended up having an issue less than 1k miles later while up in the NE USA. I had the car looked at by an independent shop who said the car had overrevs but they were 500 engine hours ago... IDK, either way I had the car shipped back to Central FL. The local dealer looked at the car and denied the engine issue based on overrevs. I of course balked and mentioned the DME pulled a short while ago. The dealer then pulled the head and said yes, valve float, overrevs, no go on the warranty. I asked for the detailed report on the DME as this would state when the overrevs happened each and every time, my argument being if they were long ago and only Level 1 or 2, the overrev claim has less weight. Best case for me worst for them would be the most/more extreme overrevs would have occurred early in my ownership (car has 11k miles on it) or before my ownership when they already CPO'd the car. This info was refused but I was provided and Porsche NA's number.

Upon calling PNA, a claims handler was assigned who took general information and assured me I would be contacted soon with an update, typically 1-2 days. A week passed with no contact, so I reached back. The person who answered the call fumbled around for several mins searching for my claim/issue even after providing a claim reference number. Once my particular claim was located I was told the handler was not available but she'd call back; I do not remember the specifics but the language implied that day. I did not receive a call that day or for several days there after. Eventually I did receive a call but it was from another handler who took all of the same info given previously. I vented to this person (both handlers were very pleasant IDK what the issue was with returning the calls and general communication but I have my suspicions) and outlined why I felt the overrev (OR) denial was being questioned and even threw him a bone and stated "if you guys wanted to claim the car was primarily used for track and we know this based on average engine speed and mph" I would better understand. His reply was very encouraging and said "it is a GT4 that is why you bought the car and PNA does not deny for that reason". This made me fall in love with the brand all over again as it indeed is what we all buy these cars for!

Fast forward another week with no communication. I call PNA who says the handler is not available but will call back. While the call did not occur that day it was promptly returned the following day, a first through this arduous process. During this call I was told PNA spoke with the tech and the damage was due to OR as a result they are dyeing the claim. I said ok, what about my request for the DME information as this will outline very well when the damage might have occurred and if it occurred by me at all. If I was sold a CPO car with OR and my claim is now being denied for OR I think it is a fair request. His response was one I will never forget and completely took me by surprise. I was told they will not share the DME information with me. I then argued they are making a claim based on the DME recording overrevs but both PNA and the dealer are 100% refusing to provide me with the data from my car substantiating their denial, I even sited an example stating that would be like my bank locking down my bank account due to negative balance and then when I call to find out why they inform me I wrote a check for 100k which I then say I do not remember writing this check please provide me a copy and them of course saying no, we will not provide you a copy of the check you may or may not have written.

Heartbreaking... IDK what I will do but one thing for sure, I will probably not be in a Porsche for a very long time if ever again.
Do you still have the car? You can pull a DME yourself these days.
Old 07-16-2024 | 03:31 PM
JPLepak
Rennlist Member

I am out of town; this just transpired. I will be picking the car up as soon as I get back into town and taking it to an independent shop to get this detailed report and decide what to do. My attorney is chomping at the bit I'll tell you that much.
The following 3 users liked this post by JPLepak:
fasteddie99 (07-17-2024), Henry I. (07-16-2024), Mike981S (07-17-2024)

Quick Reply: Over rev report trigger?