Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4 Exhaust Options ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 05:08 PM
theEnd
Instructor

Received 173 Likes on 75 Posts

delete
Old 02-05-2022, 08:28 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,498 Likes on 2,253 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
I'll still start with the fact that sound is subjective...but I will say that I redact my statement about the Fabspeed after removing the valve connections. Still waiting to install my VC, but the interior boominess and drone earlier is very much reduced. Some people will still find that it's there, but I find it a lot more tolerable. I still find some boominess with the windows up from 2,000 to 2,400rpms, but windows down it's a lot more pleasant. I also find it to be awfully loud outside, as most probably will with this setup since the valves open path basically just dumps the exhaust right away with minimal tone enhancement (probably my least favorite part of this setup).
I will add that what I find to be tolerable will be different from others, but my wife didn't complain about the volume and at 2,600 rpms at 45 going up a hill in 4th it was reasonable for what I'm used to.
I also have inconel manifolds that others may not, and I'm sure adding oaps will also add some extra volume.
I'm pleasantly surprised, but still wanting a different tone as I feel that I'm still not getting much mixing of the 2 cylinder banks.
The modularity of this system is a both a blessing and a curse! That is an unusual set up your running, and I’m glad you felt some improvement with the valves open but as you say it is not a blended sound. For me the change in the sound was the most important aspect of changing / trying something not power or volume.
Old 02-06-2022, 12:05 PM
DC021
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 135 Posts

I’m on exhaust variant 8 for this platform now and think I may have found my huckleberry… I’ll have to get @alpha ice up here for a listen to make sure I’m sane.
The following 2 users liked this post by DC021:
Alpha Ice (04-21-2022), Jeff Jones (02-06-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 01:16 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

I like my quiet/loud modification. No wiring, valve disconnects or plumbing. Just a simple press of a button on my hearing aids.🤣
The following 2 users liked this post by Alan C.:
Jim Rockford (02-07-2022), UncleDude (02-07-2022)
Old 04-14-2022, 09:02 PM
aquintero610
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SupremePower
One thing everyone agrees on is it needs an exhaust!

Akrapovic OAP in stock w 500 miles if interested.
Kline Stainless or Inconel in stock.
Fabspeed & Soul at RL special pricing too.
Cargraphic also available to order.

Shot you a PM!
hey, id be interested in the Akrapovic OAP if you still have this? I know this is from a bit back though.
Old 04-14-2022, 09:10 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,416 Likes on 829 Posts

Originally Posted by aquintero610
hey, id be interested in the Akrapovic OAP if you still have this? I know this is from a bit back though.
Can get you into a new Akra OAP if you like.

We also have in stock currently KLINE OAP + Valvtronic rear sections in Stainless Steel as well as Inconel

Please email sales@supremepower.com and we would be happy to assist

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

Old 04-19-2022, 12:21 AM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,584 Likes on 842 Posts

Anyone tried running just race/competition headers with no cats? That was the magic move on the 981's where you keep the stock exhaust and its literally perfect below 3k while sounding like a cup car above 6k.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:59 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 286 Posts

I'm not really thinking that this exhaust warrants it's own thread, but since it's also a combo of JCR Manifolds, factory OAPs, and Fabspeed valved rear, it doesn't really suit a specific manufacturer either. So I figure I'll just throw this here. Let me know if ya'll think there is a better spot for me to toss this. I did my best to properly capture some quality audio, I used a nice Sony condenser ECM-DS70P microphone plugged into my dslr to minimize potential signal quality loss (compared to running a Go Pro or a cell phone that might kill the quality). I exported this into Sony Vegas 19, chopped the video off, and edited the audio so you didn't have to listen to too much idling, but you could also hear some different sounds in the rev ranges. I didn't adjust the gain or anything in the audio, and made sure to export in FLAC so it's the best amount of lossless quality without cutting off different rev ranges. I had some rabbit feet or furry pieces that I was able to put around the mic's to minimize wind noise and used a lapel clip to fasten to one side of my license plate bracket. What you're hearing is about a foot or less from the exhaust tips, and there is a very distinct sound when the valves open and close with the Fabspeed setup, you'll notice when it hits up over 5k that you get a bit more buzzy noise as the valves switch from a nice mix of both banks to a direct output. I didn't get any noise from inside the cabin in this clip, I find with the windows down this is actually very tolerable around town at all ranges, but it can get a bit boomy/bassy with the windows up and in the lower rpm ranges from 1900-2500, and sounding good in the cabin above 2800ish rpms. I am currently running the factory valve operation, with the valves fully open the interior cabin noises are much better, but the exterior sound does take a bit of a hit.

I still very much prefer the so@DC021 current JCR setup, and I'm currently waiting for my catted, silenced lightweight exhaust to ship. Anytime Jonny can get some items back from heat shielding. Let me know your thoughts, it isn't perfect, it does have a good tone up to and around 5k, and from the driver seat it's not as obnoxious to me or buzzy as I hear. I have a good amount of 50-60mph roads and some 30 mph roads around, so it can be tough to get up to speed quickly/easily without other people being slow pokes.
718 JCR - Fabspeed exhaust
Here's an AAC link for iOS/Apple folks, it rendered in MP4 for some reason.
718 JCR - Fabspeed AAC

Last edited by Alpha Ice; 04-21-2022 at 11:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DerekHK (05-21-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 11:14 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by cooler2442
Anyone tried running just race/competition headers with no cats? That was the magic move on the 981's where you keep the stock exhaust and its literally perfect below 3k while sounding like a cup car above 6k.
I did that, but I didn't like the sound. The factory exhaust sounds a bit tinny/hollow at the higher rpm ranges. It doesn't really mix the cylinder banks like most aftermarket systems, so it ends up sounding more like 2- 3 cylinder units vs a full 6 cylinder system. Unplugging the valves does provide good sound inside the cabin and outside, I just wanted a different tone. Not that Fabspeed has done it for me, but I do feel that it's a step up from the factory exhaust and there are some improvements in the butt dyno from running aftermarket manifolds and exhaust. I still have the factory OAPs, so I still have some limitations in the system of course.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4 Exhaust Options ?