Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

End of model run fun and games

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 08:26 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,635 Likes on 1,332 Posts
Default End of model run fun and games

Say a certain someone had a delivery up against the end of MY 22 for a car which is now rumored to be ending in '22.

And say a certain someone had an option selected, like pccb, that is rumored to be in VERY short supply, with delays reported out as long as Nov.

If Porsche decided that they couldn't come up with the PCCB's to make the car in MY '22, would the certain someone's order fall off the end of the world into the void, or would the impossible happen? IE Porsche communicates BACK UP the customer pipeline to the dealer, and give the buyer the chance to switch to steels so his car could get built and delivered?

Lots of If's pulled together from several threads, but it doesn't feel at all implausible.

Anyone seen this situation play out with other model lines? Am I destined to become a Legend as the guy that had a car allocation for year, but never ended up actually getting it?

Buying that 90% discounted $1.4M signal yellow spyder in OK is looking better and better. If 22 really is the final MY for spyders....prices gonna go WAY up. At least for a while.

Last edited by Adrift; 02-03-2022 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:12 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 1,041 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
Say a certain someone had a delivery up against the end of MY 22 for a car which is now rumored to be ending in '22.

And say a certain someone had an option selected, like pccb, that is rumored to be in VERY short supply, with delays reported out as long as Nov.

If Porsche decided that they couldn't come up with the PCCB's to make the car in MY '22, would the certain someone's order fall off the end of the world into the void, or would the impossible happen? IE Porsche communicates BACK UP the customer pipeline to the dealer, and give the buyer the chance to switch to steels so his car could get built and delivered?

Lots of If's pulled together from several threads, but it doesn't feel at all implausible.

Anyone seen this situation play out with other model lines? Am I destined to become a Legend as the guy that had a car allocation for year, but never ended up actually getting it?

Buying that 90% discounted $1.4M signal yellow spyder in OK is looking better and better. If 22 really is the final MY for spyders....prices gonna go WAY up. At least for a while.
If your build hasn't locked, there's no reason your dealer can't change it to steel and you just switch the brakes after market. Not sure what's going on the PCCB. Your dealer should get an update from corporate soon though
Old 02-03-2022, 09:31 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

I would think that it is time to have a sit down with your dealer, get them to determine what's happening with your order and if it needs to be adjusted...
The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
P-car-Vancouver (02-03-2022), UncleDude (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 09:33 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,827 Likes on 997 Posts

If there is a PCCB supply problem builds will likely get pushed further out in a big lump, or staggered and stretched further out depending why the supply is a problem (supplier being changed, or slow production. I see back orders like that happen all the time with car parts). If it gets worse than that you'd likely see them tell dealers that PCCBs are no longer available on new allocations but leave current allocations alone to still get them. If it gets really bad they'd have dealers call people and say PCCBs are no longer an option IMO. I think there is zero chance your allocation ends up in limbo.

my memory sucks but I believe LWBs were a problem on 981 GT4s and a lot of people with later allocations were told they weren't an option anymore.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:47 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
If your build hasn't locked, there's no reason your dealer can't change it to steel and you just switch the brakes after market. Not sure what's going on the PCCB. Your dealer should get an update from corporate soon though
This is what I would HOPE would happen, but communication from the factory back up to dealers, in terms of giving options and asking for new information, seems to be zero. It feels like we throw our orders into the void and a totally unexplained response comes out (ie delivery date), with no real ability to directly react or interact. Do they suddenly become concerned with the deliverability of individual orders? Seems too much to hope.

I a) wait and see if they do announce pccb problems (and no MY 23) and then respec to iron, b) proactively respec to iron to give myself maximum chance of getting the car, or c) let 'er ride.

Or buy the temporary car now to cover my bases. That option sounded too expensive, but is sounding a lot better after the twin rumors of no MY 23 and no PCCBs til Nov hit today.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:53 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 361 Posts

So your concern is that they are going to stop building the car you ordered in July? Well if they stop building 4.0 718s what are they going to build instead? Nothing is announced. Are you thinking they’re just going to abandon a product that has a 12 month plus order backlog and build nothing? Seems pretty far fetched.

Maybe the thinking is that they’ll stop GT4 production and only produce GT4RS. I know that is rumored but nothing is announced and the limited number of RS allocations we’ve seen would not be enough to fill the production hole left if they discontinued the GT4.

My guess is that Porsche will not just walk away from the huge backlog until the next gen is ready and that will be a couple of years.
The following users liked this post:
Goodwood (02-04-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 10:01 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

Received 1,901 Likes on 792 Posts

You live in Texas, I presume your weather would allow you to enjoy a car right now.

Buy the Signal car. Enjoy the crap out of it. If/when your car comes, trade the Signal in. Or keep them both. Life is too short.
DFW01TT (02-04-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 10:14 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I would think that it is time to have a sit down with your dealer, get them to determine what's happening with your order and if it needs to be adjusted...
This is the answer.

About 30% of Spyders get PCCBs, more for GT4s. If there was a constraint it’d be communicated to dealers and in turn here.

It’s your dealer. Post up your V code snapshots..the story is in there.
MechEngr1287 (02-04-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 10:19 PM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 754 Likes on 355 Posts

Have you learned nothing? DO NOT CHANGE YOUR ORDER AGAIN.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:12 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 0-Day
Have you learned nothing? DO NOT CHANGE YOUR ORDER AGAIN.
lol Don't worry, proactively changing my order is at the bottom of my list of options. I'll only change the options if I get word from Porsche I need to. But, depending on how risk averse I feel...a temporary car is looking suddenly more compelling. The SY car is a manual. I wonder how firm they are on the price.

I'll post my latest schedule sheet, but I am not sure what info is supposed to be hiding there. It shows my V200 getting reset to end of Jan when they did the latest month bump from delivery in June to July 8, and then a bunch of dates under Planned that spanned April to June moving to May to July under Exected.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:25 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,540 Likes on 859 Posts

I really hope not. I really just need Porsche to build the car for one more year and i can buy one new. I tend to always have this issue where i want a car that has just hit the final production year. Happened with the M2 Competition and possibly with my Veloster N as well. Some stupid part of me keeps thinking that these cars are not limited run.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:33 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Survey says? This is from when it moved randomly a few weeks after it moved when I changed my spec to PCCB/PG.

Last edited by Adrift; 02-03-2022 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:38 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
I really hope not. I really just need Porsche to build the car for one more year and i can buy one new. I tend to always have this issue where i want a car that has just hit the final production year. Happened with the M2 Competition and possibly with my Veloster N as well. Some stupid part of me keeps thinking that these cars are not limited run.
2016 Spyders were limited run. 3 model years and maybe more? Not so much.

Old 02-03-2022, 11:39 PM
ausgang
Racer

Received 386 Likes on 161 Posts

I suppose a related question to the one you asked is, "Has Porsche ever canceled an order for an allocated production spot because a delay caused the actual production date to be moved out beyond the end-date of production for that vehicle type? Has anyone ever experienced this? Maybe it's a question for your dealer when you talk with them.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:43 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,540 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
2016 Spyders were limited run. 3 model years and maybe more? Not so much.
I guess its not a true limited run. Just more, some dumb part of me thought they would keep making the GT4 until they announce the next generation. I think maybe i had that thought because i saw the GT3 for sale up till 2020(or maybe mid 2019?) and then all of a sudden 2021 out comes the new GT3. I dont know, i'm new to the Porsche world, so i have no idea haha

Quick Reply: End of model run fun and games