Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

For you guys that have the Spyder or the GT4 see question on (Tires) below ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 10:45 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 823 Posts
Question For you guys that have the Spyder or the GT4 see question on (Tires) below ...

Greetings,

Before we get into this discussion this has nothing to do with (TRACKING) any of the vehicles mentioned so save it guys !!!

I've been looking at tires for my wife's VW Golf R as we purchased it new in 2017.
So I'm going to replace the tires even though they only have 14,000 miles on the original Pirelli tires on it.
I'm changing the tires as this is our main transportation and it's now past 4-years old on the original Summer-Pirelli Tires.

MICHELIN
PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4

I'm wondering if any of you are running these tires on your Porsche Spyder or GT4 cars ???
Honestly if I had done a much more thorough job when looking into tires for my GT4 I would have gone for these for where I live and for my driving.
What really got my ATTENTION was going over all the You-Tube videos.
When I saw the one below on the new C-8 Corvette comes Stock with these tires.
And from what I saw from the guy that drove over 2,000 miles testing them in a variety of conditions they did an excellent job all around.
I did go with Michelin PS4S tires and sold the Michelin Cup2 tires before taking delivery.

If it wasn't so much of a pain to once again go through selling the existing Michelin PS4S tires and also having the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 ultra high performance (UHP) installed I'd do it.

Michelin Pilot Sport ALL SEASON 4 - Real World Review
Nov 18, 2020

I would like to hear from you guys on your thoughts on them ???

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 01-18-2022 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:56 AM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 355 Posts

Hi, I put the michelin A/S4 on my Tesla 3P and was very disappointed with the tire noise and howl that was very annoying, I suppose my be less in ICE.

On my previous Golf R found the Continental DWS06 to be a revelation! Excellent all around tire and transformed the handling for the better and was excellent as all season. There is now the new version DWS06+ which I haven't tried but expect it to be even better.

Since then, I have had Bridgestone RE980A/S on an M6 and now running RE980A/S+ (new version) on my Spyder and am extremely happy with it... in rain dry and ice/snow ...

That would be my current recommendation: RE980A/S+ followed by Conti DWS06+ and then Michelin A/S 4

PS I am a big Michelin fan but felt completely let down by noise of A/S 4
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 11:02 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by catdog2
.....Since then, I have had Bridgestone RE980A/S on an M6 and now running RE980A/S+ (new version) on my Spyder and am extremely happy with it... in rain dry and ice/snow ...
How do you compare the side-wall firmness (steering response), predictability (gradually breaking loose) and noise between the Bridgestone and Conti under dry condition ?
And which one does better in the heavy rain ?
Old 01-18-2022, 11:16 AM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by catdog2
Hi, I put the michelin A/S4 on my Tesla 3P and was very disappointed with the tire noise and howl that was very annoying, I suppose my be less in ICE.

On my previous Golf R found the Continental DWS06 to be a revelation! Excellent all around tire and transformed the handling for the better and was excellent as all season. There is now the new version DWS06+ which I haven't tried but expect it to be even better.

Since then, I have had Bridgestone RE980A/S on an M6 and now running RE980A/S+ (new version) on my Spyder and am extremely happy with it... in rain dry and ice/snow ...

That would be my current recommendation: RE980A/S+ followed by Conti DWS06+ and then Michelin A/S 4

PS I am a big Michelin fan but felt completely let down by noise of A/S 4

I had the DWS06 on my Mk6 GLI, and hated them in the wet...significant under steer especially traversing roundabouts, even when relatively new.

I have the Michelin A/S3s on same car love them, and supposedly the A/S4s are better all the way around. Currently have PSS10s on the car, and don't feel the need to run summers.

Been running RE980's on my GT4 "since purchase" Aug. '19, and have 14k miles on them...feel the Michelin have more grip dry and wet (different cars I know), but happy all-around with the 980s. I'd go with the Michelin A/S4s if needed going forward for the cold months.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:31 AM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 250 Posts

Had my doubts but the Continental ContiSport Contact 5P's my Golf R came with are still holding up to the test and I may consider them again. My next choice would be Michelin PS4S which I think is a better tire for colder weather

Last edited by FASTRKMAN; 01-18-2022 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:33 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Rennlist members that have already replied ............
Thanks so much.

And for those Rennlist members that haven't replied please do so.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 01-18-2022 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:20 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FASTRKMAN
...My next choice would be Michelin PS4S which I think is a better tire for colder weather
???

A summer tire would better for the cold?
Old 01-18-2022, 12:24 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
???

My opinion ....... No !!!

I have the PS4S and there's No-Doubt I'd be much better off with the Michelin Ultra Performance All Season Plus tires.
I might still get them.
Our recent temperatures here in Franklin, Tennessee in the USA are lows around 18-19-21-23-25-28-30 etc.
And snow days with 4 to 7 inches.

Terry
Old 01-18-2022, 12:29 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Guys,

One of the reviews I was just now looking at on the Michelin Ultra High-Performance All-Season-Tires.

• Miles Driven on Tires:
  • Driving Condition:
    Combined Highway/City
    Driving Style:
    Spirited

100 Miles on Tires (Verified Purchase)
November 12, 2021
I put these on my Boxter with the hope of driving it this winter, on light snowy days. The big surprise is how much they improved the overall driving experience of the car. It is a completely different car now, absolutely wonderful to drive.

The tires are quiet, and much more civilized than the tires I replaced, but still high-performance in cornering.

I'm amazed that these "all season" tires are this great. Strongly recommend.

Can't wait to review them further when the snow flies. I'll let you know, but I'm very optimistic.

2,500 Miles on Tires (Follow-Up)
January 03, 2022

Now that the snow has arrived, I''ve been able to see how these tires perform in the winter... I have to say, I''m impressed.
Light snow, regular winter driving, they are great. Deep snow, they actually move the car pretty well,
I have not encountered any conditions yet that disappoint me, or leave me wanting for a different tire.

I''m in Western NY, so we see lots of snow/ice. So far so good.

One thing that helps, I''m sure, is that my Boxster is mid-engine, with traction control and wide rear tires. But at this point I''m 100% confident that we''ll get through the winter fine.

I''m also VERY impressed with the dry road ride, comfort, and performance. It''s a completely different car with these tires, dramatically quieter and less harsh than the Coopers I replaced.

Two thumbs up, a fantastic tire. Best I''ve bought, and I''ve bought a whole lot of tires in my day.
Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 01-18-2022 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:50 PM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

???

"Colder"...I run Michelin X-Ice in winter months. It's -16C feels like -26 here today in the sun no place for PS4S. The Conti's turn into hockey pucks at 5c for me.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:58 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker

I have the PS4S and there's No-Doubt I'd be much better off with the Michelin Ultra Performance All Season Plus tires.
I might still get them.
Our recent temperatures here in Franklin, Tennessee in the USA are lows around 18-19-21-23-25-28-30 etc.

Terry
Then you should do it. Sounds like you've done the research and feel these would work for you, so go for it.
​​​​​​

​​​​​
Old 01-18-2022, 01:10 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

I might still get them.

Terry

Just an FYI, in case you missed it:

Taken from the PS4S description:

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/descrip...Yellow+Caliper

"Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle. Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced."

FWIW, the sidewall of one of the Pilot Sports on my 20thAE GTI cracked/failed while in the parking lot of a restaurant I visited on a cold day, 2 miles from my home...most likely due to the scenario above. Rookie mistake.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:10 PM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

To add Terry, I went down to 17" wheels for the winters made a big difference in the ride on the Golf R. I now prefer driving on the 17 then the 19 for what it's worth.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:44 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Question

I might still get them.

Terry
Just an FYI, in case you missed it:

Taken from the PS4S description:

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/descrip...Yellow+Caliper

"Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle. Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced."

FWIW, the sidewall of one of the Pilot Sports on my 20thAE GTI cracked/failed while in the parking lot of a restaurant I visited on a cold day, 2 miles from my home...most likely due to the scenario above. Rookie mistake.
Yes, I do know where your coming from on the temps and tires.

That's exactly why I'm considering the Michelin Ultra Performance All Season Plus tires for the GT4.
Thankfully I have a Split-Unit in my garage and the temperature stays at or around 65-degrees in the winter.
So the PS4S tires under the GT4 are not going to be damaged by the outside cold winter temps.

One of the Mods must have merged this thread with a previous Thread from back in 2020 and it's Really-really messed up this thread for responding to you guys.

The above poster that said I should go ahead and go for the Michelin Ultra Performance All Season Plus tires for the 2017 VW Golf R.
I have already scheduled to have those ^^^ installed tomorrow at 1PM at the local "Discount Tire Store" which is like 5-miles from my house.
I've done business with them for a great many years and satisfied with their pricing as well as their service.

Also while up in my Dedicated-Home-Theater I just stumbled on another useful video on YouTube.

TJ Talking: Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 2020 | Tire Rack

Terry

Lastly:
Now the question is do I sale the current PS4S Michelin tires and switch to the "
Michelin Ultra Performance Pilot Sport All Season 4" ???

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 01-18-2022 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:48 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FASTRKMAN
To add Terry, I went down to 17" wheels for the winters made a big difference in the ride on the Golf R. I now prefer driving on the 17 then the 19 for what it's worth.
FASTRKMAN,

I read you buddy but I'm sticking with the 19" that came on the 2017 Golf R.

The 17" does have certain advantages for sure.

Terry

Quick Reply: For you guys that have the Spyder or the GT4 see question on (Tires) below ...