Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

What other cars did you consider and why did you land on a 4.0?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 03:39 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 361 Posts

I wanted the last of the naturally aspirated, flat six , manual transmission Caymans. (Because all the best Porsches are mid-engine.) So I bought it; a 2016 Cayman 981. I was never tempted by the GT4 as it’s too much of a track toy for me. But I couldn’t pass up the CGTS 4.0. I have considered other options due to the year long wait and the stop sale but decided there was nothing I would consider.
The following 2 users liked this post by sanderabernathy:
Al Allen (01-09-2022), Southbama (01-12-2022)
Old 12-24-2021, 04:21 PM
drive95
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm currently driving a 2021 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered and wanted something that was "a level up" in performance. The V60PE is a blast in the mountains, certainly, while still delivering city driving/daily practicality, especially having 25 miles of electric-only range. Its portly weight was extremely limiting, however, when I took it to AMP for a group track day. It performed well, overall, but convinced me I needed to start shopping.
-The cars I considered: BGTS4, 911 C2 (with only Sport Chrono, Bose, and glass sunroof), MB C63, Toyota GR Supra 3.0, and the new Audi RS3 (massive improvement over the outgoing model).
-Concerns for me were the car's ability to hold its value, reliability, and level of performance.
-I first eliminated the 911 versus 718 due to the fact it'd be a stripper model and not really offer superior performance. I am keeping the V60 so that negates the benefit of having more interior space.
-Next was the C63. I feel that the value of these will drop precipitously once the car market begins to return to a somewhat normal state.
-The RS3 was after the C63 to be axed. I owned a 2014 S3 previously and, while fun to drive, I got bored with it quickly. The proportions of the new model are still a bit awkward, being a performance compact.
-Last was the Toyota. I actually had told the dealership in Baton Rouge to hold the one they were receiving later that week for me. Before I could send a deposit my SA at Porsche called and said my allocation for a BGTS4 came through, with a projected February build date. After only a couple hours of weighing the two cars, their comparative costs and performance, and the fact I'd get to custom spec a Porsche, I went with that.
The following 2 users liked this post by drive95:
baege (12-24-2021), Spike Spiegel (12-24-2021)
Old 12-24-2021, 06:27 PM
dichael
Instructor

Received 144 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by thejholmes
I did a lot of trackdays in that car, but I've got 3 young kids so getting away for a full day is on pause for a bit. Golf is the new thing!
golf takes a boatload of time in its own right. I like to say I gave up golf for more kid time, but the fact is I sucked so it was a very small price to pay
The following 2 users liked this post by dichael:
CaymanMatt (12-25-2021), JBSea (12-24-2021)
Old 12-24-2021, 06:54 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 940 Posts

My short list included...

C8 Z06 (Had it been out on schedule, it would have been a hard choice between it and the GT4)

2021/22' Audi R8 RWD (More than what I wanted to spend, but was the main back-up if I hadn't received my GT4 allocation)

Now that I have the GT4, assuming I get the suspension dialed in w/ MCS 2-way dampers I will not be looking for at least 5 years. IF I can't get the suspension dialed in, then the C8 Z06 in a couple of years.

One thing is for sure now having the GT4, I am a mid engine convert. Anything I have going forward will need to be mid-engine. It just next level in the cornering arena.
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (12-25-2021)
Old 12-24-2021, 07:22 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

I came from a C63 Cab. The reason we bought that car was to combine my wife’s DD and my fun car into one car for space and cost purposes. I found nothing wrong with that arrangement. While the engine in that car is truly amazing and a tuner’s dream, the quality of the rest of the car just wasn’t there. It spent a lot of time in the shop. And in the end, while I liked the car, I didn’t love it. There is a chance had a manual been available, I might still own it.

Another car I considered was the AMG GTs. I considered for one of the same reasons I considered the Spyder. It is a drop dead gorgeous car. In my opinion, the 718 Spyder and the AMG GT are two of the prettiest cars available today. But I still run into the manual issue.

I come from the Corvette camp. Had a manual been available I likely would have one instead of the Spyder. And you know what? I am glad it was not available because I have never felt about a car like I do my Spyder. I honestly feel a little bit weird for being so enamored with an inanimate object. The Spyder all the way around is such a better car. And the new styling of the Corvette never really moved me like all generations in the past.

I feel very fortunate to own the car I have now. Every fun car I have had in the past was always like the search and journey to buying was the most fun and then the excitement waned after that. With this car, I am more excited than ever. I cannot wait to drive it. Over and over. Anyway, I think I have found my forever car. These 718 4.0 cars are truly something special. The people that “magazine race” other cars against these just don’t understand. I was one of them. I get it now…thankfully.
The following 2 users liked this post by flynlo:
baege (12-24-2021), Spike Spiegel (12-24-2021)
Old 12-24-2021, 08:15 PM
JBSea
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

I never figured to be getting a new Cayman GTS4.0.

I have been watching and reading and mentally budgeting for a few years. I had assumed that I would get a used 911 or a 2016 GT4 or Spyder I imagined that I would spend $75 to $80k. Max. I also looked at the Jaguar F-Type and the BMW M2 as others have mentioned.

So in 2021 when our family financial situation was at a point where a "fun" car made sense I found that the market had shifted dramatically. Suddenly the used cars I was looking at were $90 to $100k. The more I read about the CGTS 4.0 the more it seemed like the right fit for me and how I will use the car. And I loved NA, the manual, the mid engine etc.

I test drove a used Jaguar. Beautiful to look at but did not leave me feeling I had to have it. I would have loved a convertible since this is a fun, weekend car for us but I live in the damp Pacific NW and thought I would get a little more use out of the Cayman and most of all, I lucked in to an MSRP allocation for a CGTS4.0. When that became a real choice I had to think pretty hard about it. My amazing wife said yes, go for it and I put my deposit down around March of 2021. Even after that (prior to my build locking in the summer) I kept looking. I came close to getting a used GT4 from a local dealer. Was great to drive but it was nearly 5 years old and was almost as much as the brand new Cayman and I just could not do it.

Now I take delivery on January 7th. I am very excited and cannot wait to try it (I have not had the chance to drive a CGTS4.0).
The following 4 users liked this post by JBSea:
baege (12-24-2021), cnw126 (12-26-2021), flynlo (12-25-2021), Spike Spiegel (12-24-2021)
Old 12-24-2021, 08:58 PM
schweez
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 32 Posts

I like many here considered the Evora GT. I had a 2014 Evora S. I test drove the GT a few times. Ultimately I went with the GT4. Biggest complaints with the Evora were the seats (sat too high) and the engine (its basically the same engine since 2010 with a better supercharger). Those two things I can live with if it weren’t for the GT4. I just think the GT4 is a better overall car that holds better value. That being said, the Evora is sensational and would get it over pretty much anything else around $100k. Including a 992 991. Furthermore, the backseats still make it appealing (I have kids).

If the Evora Gt430 came to the US I think it would’ve won out.......

baege (12-25-2021)
Old 12-24-2021, 09:13 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by schweez
I like many here considered the Evora GT. I had a 2014 Evora S. I test drove the GT a few times. Ultimately I went with the GT4. Biggest complaints with the Evora were the seats (sat too high) and the engine (its basically the same engine since 2010 with a better supercharger). Those two things I can live with if it weren’t for the GT4. I just think the GT4 is a better overall car that holds better value. That being said, the Evora is sensational and would get it over pretty much anything else around $100k. Including a 992 991. Furthermore, the backseats still make it appealing (I have kids).

If the Evora Gt430 came to the US I think it would’ve won out.......

I just looked that car up and read a Road & Track review of it. Impressive!!

For track day special cars, I wish more manufacturers would do what Lotus does and put a true motorsport 2 way coil-over suspension as standard. I wish Porsche would do that on all of their GT cars. They deserve it. I'm doing that on my GT4, but it would be cool if I didn't have to.

Last edited by TRZ06; 12-24-2021 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-24-2021, 09:54 PM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 754 Likes on 355 Posts

I wanted to get a 2016 GT4 new in 2016, but by the time I realized that the car existed, it was already impossible to order one unless you wanted to pay way over sticker. I did not understand the Porsche ordering process at that time as I had never owned or tried to order any Porsche products to that point. But my 2016 experience was a good learning opportunity.

When the 718 GT4 was announced in spring 2019, I called 3 or 4 dealers on the morning of the day the announcement press release came out and put in deposits at two local dealers. Even though I called the day of the product announcement, I was pretty far down on both wait lists. Luckily about a year later, I got the call in late May 2020 that a July 2020 build allocation was mine if I wanted it.

The only other car I had considered was a used 2016 GT4. They had finally gotten down to $10k-$15k under original MSRP for some nice ones in late 2019 and early 2020. But those days are long gone now. And I'm glad I was able to order new exactly what I wanted.
Old 12-24-2021, 10:28 PM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 403 Likes on 186 Posts

Like some others here I had a 2015 3.4 Cayman S absolutely loved the car. I must admit when I heard about the GTS with a 4.0 motor it sort of started blowing my skirt up. When allocations became available, I traded in the Cayman S for a 2021 GTS 4.0. I may be wrong, but I am not sure a mid engine care with a N/A motor this big may come my way again, so I got on board, no regrets. I never did really consider another make, as I have had 7 Porsches before this one, ( I still have a 2001 Boxster S) and did not see a reason to find another date for the dance.
baege (12-25-2021)
Old 12-24-2021, 11:01 PM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Received 631 Likes on 288 Posts

C63S, AMG GTR, but NA plus manual was the right thing to do. I always remembered how fun karting was despite low power, and didn't really need extra space in a car. For the AMG GTR pre 2020s were relatively cheap. But both AMGs would probably sound lousy compared to my Camaro.
baege (12-25-2021)
Old 12-25-2021, 06:18 AM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 109 Posts

well, didn’t consider others besides my 718 Spyder PDK when I ordered it in june 2019!
It came a bit later (production started more that a year later). When it arrived at the dealer in March 2021, the stop delivery action prevented the use of this car and I considered the one and only other mid engine NA spider and testdrove that, the Huracan Evo Spyder. Great car, but doubted the daily use of it because of the behavior of people when they see a car like this.
End of Juli I took my chances with my conrod swapped 718 … It’s no Huracan, but I can park it anywhere (almost).
Old 12-25-2021, 08:04 AM
baege
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by patdonahue
Like some others here I had a 2015 3.4 Cayman S absolutely loved the car. I must admit when I heard about the GTS with a 4.0 motor it sort of started blowing my skirt up. When allocations became available, I traded in the Cayman S for a 2021 GTS 4.0. I may be wrong, but I am not sure a mid engine care with a N/A motor this big may come my way again, so I got on board, no regrets. I never did really consider another make, as I have had 7 Porsches before this one, ( I still have a 2001 Boxster S) and did not see a reason to find another date for the dance.
how would you compare your gts 4.0 to your prior 3.4?
Old 12-25-2021, 08:42 AM
greengobln
Instructor

Received 247 Likes on 67 Posts

The only other car I considered was a 2016 Gt4 I've always really wanted a Porsche, now that said I still don't have my 718 Gt4 should be arriving at the dealership in may for a grand total of 16 months wait.
Old 12-25-2021, 07:21 PM
Groach
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 13 Posts

Alright I’ll be the odd man out here…
I’m waiting for an allocation for a Spyder but unsure if I’ll go through with it…because I’m a sucker for the low end grunt of turbo engines. All of my fun cars are turbocharged…997.2 Turbo, M2 Comp, Mazdaspeed Miata, Toyota MR2.
I haven’t spent much time in any GT4/Spyders yet but plan to soon. IF my friend will let me after I told him he may have over 400 hp, but realistically only in first gear…how fast are you going in second to get max power?
My cars are, and will always be, manual transmission. So I guess I’ll enjoy shifting more, but downshifting to first gear for slower turns doesn’t sound realistic.

Quick Reply: What other cars did you consider and why did you land on a 4.0?