Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Sub-3000 pound 718 GT4/Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2021 | 05:07 PM
Sharm
Pro

Default Sub-3000 pound 718 GT4/Spyder?

Was wondering if anyone has achieved this? If so, what did you do to your car? I currently have a 718 Spyder manual with LWBS. Looking to add the antigravity battery for an additional 40lbs weight loss. With all this, I figure my curb weight would be ~ 3150lbs. Anyway to drop another 150lbs?! A new exhaust with OPF delete? Replace with gorilla glass? Ideas welcome and kerb weight pics to prove it great!
Old 12-11-2021 | 05:09 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sharm
Was wondering if anyone has achieved this? If so, what did you do to your car? I currently have a 718 Spyder manual with LWBS. Looking to add the antigravity battery for an additional 40lbs weight loss. With all this, I figure my curb weight would be ~ 3150lbs. Anyway to drop another 150lbs?! A new exhaust with OPF delete? Replace with gorilla glass? Ideas welcome and kerb weight pics to prove it great!
Mag wheels and LW brakes.
Old 12-11-2021 | 05:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

take the OEM exhaust off and replace with Ti ... thats good for 35 lbs
Old 12-11-2021 | 05:46 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

- battery
- exhaust
- seats
- PCCB or smaller iron brakes (which in turn would allow smaller wheels, potentially but not necessarily reducing weight depending on tire+wheel weight)
- carbon fiber frunk and other body parts if available
- lighter flywheel (if permitted for this engine)
- lightweight glass (could be easier to scratch)

Depending on how extreme you are willing to go, you can also start removing creature comforts one by one until small gains start adding up into big ones:
- roof mechanism
- sound symposer (718 models)
- stereo
- A/C
- carpets, including those in storage areas
- various trim and sound deadening
- lightweight glass

You might as well check out the thread in the 991 GT3 forum about trying to lighten the 911R for ideas:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ispreloading=1

Last edited by vantage; 12-11-2021 at 05:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jamgolf (07-08-2024)
Old 12-11-2021 | 05:49 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

CF fenders
Old 12-11-2021 | 05:49 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Remove carpet

Or just buy a clubsport.
Old 12-11-2021 | 06:30 PM
*991*
Rennlist Member

What will this 150lbs weight loss achieve? What are u trying to accomplish with a 150lb lighter car?
Old 12-11-2021 | 06:31 PM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Although the Porsche LWBS are the lightest factory option, they are still much heavier than most aftermarket seat options. You could easily save another 30+ lbs with aftermarket race buckets.

Convert to PCCB to save another 30-40 lbs.

Downsize to 19” wheel and tire to save maybe 15 lbs.

Gut the frunk.
Old 12-11-2021 | 06:39 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by *991*
What will this 150lbs weight loss achieve? What are u trying to accomplish with a 150lb lighter car?
Faster and more nimble car
Old 12-11-2021 | 07:29 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Keeping it relatively stock or easy to put back to stock:

Wheels: Get light weight aftermarket rims. smallest size that will fit. smaller will be lighter, tire weight often does not get any heavier for a higher profile tire. OE wheels weigh a ton normally. GT4 ones probably aren't too bad, but I'm guessing 25lbs plus. IIRC magnesium will barely save any weight for OE so skip those. You can likely get lighter aftermarket alloy rims than the OE magnesium. So you should be able to save 5lbs+ a rim here I bet.
Tires: not all tires weigh the same. You can see 5-10lbs difference between the same width of tire. sometimes 10mm wider or even skinnier will be 2-3lbs heavier too. a michelin usually weighs a lot more than a hoosier so I wouldn't be surprised if you googled the weights you could save 20lbs just with tires.
Seats: basic bare bones racing bucket seat. LWBs are not that light, tehy weigh about 40bs each. leave the passenger seat at home and you save 40lbs. a basic racing seat may not be pretty but including brackets they can be as light as 15lbs i think. defintely under 20lbs. so 60lbs saved here.
exhaust: so heavy..... get an aftermarket light weight one. from the headers back. the factory stuff weighs a ton. difficult to look that stuff up but likely 50lbs in weight saved doing that.
light weight battery.

so pretty easy to save 150lbs+.

Removing stuff but not obvious you did it:

Rear carpet and liner, all the plastic trim in the rear end. remove the front storage tub and all the plastic trim under there. remove the side window glass saves a ton of weight. You're looking at 50lbs+ easily there. Run just enough gas for each session (bring jerry cans) as gas weight is huge; that's another 50lbs.
Remove the glove box (unclips easy)

so you could do another 100lbs without getting crazy.

Going a little crazy:

Remove the headlights and put filler plates in their place for aero (they're not that hard to remove and they're super heavy). 30lbs here probably.
Full gut the interior. door trim, console trim, roof trim, everything out of the door shells, carpets out, headliner, airbags. probably another 100lbs+ doing this.
Replace suspension components with lighter versions (don't think this is an option).
Replace the brakes with lighter versions, preferably so you can run 18in wheels.
buy 2 doors from a wrecker and gut them, or even remove most of the shell. buy a hatch from a wrecker and gut it, cut it up as much as possible, and install lexan. these parts bolt on and are easy to swap for a track day. Another 100lbs doing this potentially.

no going back.
remove the rear glass on your hatch and replace with lexan, gut hvac total removal of ac and removal of cabin heating, start swiss cheesing the unibody. remove braces and brackets that are not necessary. consider removing the rebars. Toss all power options. cut the door frames out (require adding weight with a weld in cage). remove unnecessary engine components. remove exhaust and run striaght piped dumps point at the ground for maximum sound reduction.

full retard. Start buying different body panels.
aluminum panels on the car are already ultra light so you might save a couple pounds here and there swapping to CF stuff. CF stuff may actually end up weighing more too so be aware you may be going backwards at great expense doing this. I would never do this as you're spending 10s of thousands to save a single digits. better to just start cutting holes in pointless parts of the unibody.
The following 5 users liked this post by Zhao:
Dem bones (08-19-2023), dnimi123 (12-12-2021), LeftLane50mph (08-18-2023), theEnd (12-11-2021), ~el~jefe~ (01-01-2022)
Old 12-11-2021 | 07:31 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

How much do you weigh? I have seen 250+ lbs drivers coming out of a Miata or other sportier cars, go figure.
The following 2 users liked this post by C2 Turbo:
dnimi123 (12-12-2021), ~el~jefe~ (01-01-2022)
Old 12-11-2021 | 07:57 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

I think there is a such thing as having a car that is too light, unless it is unsprung mass. A lighter car might be more tossable, but it also means less force pushing the car to the ground and the more it will move around at higher speeds.

If you are after a go cart, I would just go get a go cart or an Ariel Atom.
The following users liked this post:
MaddMike (08-18-2023)
Old 12-12-2021 | 11:43 AM
Sharm
Pro

Some great ideas here. Thanks!

To answer a few directed questions:
1. I weight 163lbs at time of writing. Yes I would love to lose another 5lbs but not more and that’s a lot harder to do than buying things for my Porsche.
2. Why -150lbs someone asked? Because as I stated in the title that would put me in the 2xxx lb range. The goal for me is weight reduction and to achieve a personal metric of < 3000lbs.
3. I don’t think < 3000lbs is go-kart light as the previous Spyder was advertised albeit with PCCBSs and LWBS at that mark.

I should have added to the original post that I would like to achieve this measure in the last expense way possible and with least hassle and keeping stock as much as possible AT FIRST.

in keeping with this, it seems the best way to do this would be:
1. agreed on PCCBs but they are expensive and I didn’t option them to begin with. Will try other measures first.
2. Changing wheels. Great idea. I would like to change to similar size wheels though as I feel smaller rims may deprecate the car’s performance.Good for 20lbs?
3. Titanium exhaust with OPF delete. As mentioned above, good for 35lbs.
4. Thinner glass. ?weight savings.
5. Remove extra seat and mats. I would like to keep the extra seat as I sometimes have passengers with me for rides. Keep mats because I hate the look without and savings minimal.
7. I don’t have nav but do have Bose. Would like to keep a decent sound system in the drop top.

So that’s another 50lbs or so. I wouldn’t remove any carpet/lining but appreciate the suggestions. Still need another 100 somewhere. Suppose I could stave myself.

Last edited by Sharm; 12-12-2021 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-12-2021 | 11:59 AM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Essex brakes knock >30lbs off stock irons.
Old 12-12-2021 | 12:08 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Some great ideas here. Thanks!

To answer a few directed questions:
1. I weight 163lbs at time of writing. Yes I would love to lose another 5lbs but not more and that’s a lot harder to do than buying things for my Porsche.
2. Why -150lbs someone asked? Because as I stated in the title that would put me in the 2xxx lb range. The goal for me is weight reduction and to achieve a personal metric of < 3000lbs.
3. I don’t think < 3000lbs is go-kart light as the previous Spyder was advertised albeit with PCCBSs and LWBS at that mark.

I should have added to the original post that I would like to achieve this measure in the last expense way possible and with least hassle and keeping stock as much as possible AT FIRST.

in keeping with this, it seems the best way to do this would be:
1. agreed on PCCBs but they are expensive and I didn’t option them to begin with. Will try other measures first.
2. Changing wheels. Great idea. I would like to change to similar size wheels though as I feel smaller rims may deprecate the car’s performance.Good for 20lbs?
3. Titanium exhaust with OPF delete. As mentioned above, good for 35lbs.
4. Thinner glass. ?weight savings.
5. Remove extra seat and mats. I would like to keep the extra seat as I sometimes have passengers with me for rides. Keep mats because I hate the look without and savings minimal.
7. I don’t have nav but do have Bose. Would like to keep a decent sound system in the drop top.

So that’s another 50lbs or so. I wouldn’t remove any carpet/lining but appreciate the suggestions. Still need another 100 somewhere. Suppose I could stave myself.
Essex AP racing brakes are 33 pounds lighter then stock. You could do lighter seats, but then you start getting into comfort issues and airbag lights. I've got the Recaro Podium seats, which only weigh 13 pounds, but the base weighs 15 pounds, so you aren't saving a lot over a LWBS. They are very comfortable though.

Quick Reply: Sub-3000 pound 718 GT4/Spyder?